OOOs Roleplay Gear and Medals Discussion

Are the premium medals just the regular medals with silver painted on the inside? I was thinking of doing this to my medals. Has anyone done that yet? I would like to see how that looks. :D
 
people have spray painted the backs of their gashapon core medals. it looks ugly if you ask me

Well, I have a set of extra ShaUTa medals, so I will test it on those with Tamiya Chrome Silver. It will be nice to see how it looks in person anyway.
 
I haven't found a good combination I like. If if the molding of the plastic is on the inside (backs of gashapon medals), it looks decent. But, if it is flat on the inside (front side), it looks just horrible.

I tried with chrome spray paint. The backs of gashapons look alright, but on the front, it just looks gray, and looses a lot of detail. Even adding a coat of glossy black didn't help with the chrome. It doesn't look right.

I tried to different applications of the chrome (a normal spray, and a second slower application taking a couple of hours). It doesn't look like chrome at all. It looks very shiny on the inside, but, it is not reflecting the light properly through the plastic. Then I tried adding a coat of glossy black.

Just letting you know what I tried.

Also, it looks like the molding on the inside of the Premium medals are a little different. Less plastic bridges or pieces sticking out, which become very apparent on the normal medals when you paint them as there are dark spots.

Edit: Warning The following images may be disturbing. A valuable possession, personal and to the OOO fans, has been harmed in the making of this collage:[hide]
ooo_panda_custom.png
[/hide]
 
Last edited:
how dare you mess up a panda medal! you could have done it to a rider medal or a gashapon/candy medal.

anyways, what i want to do is cut out metallic silver cardboard or something and place them behind the plastic on my dx core medals. hopefully it will look as good as the core medal swings.
 
how dare you mess up a panda medal! you could have done it to a rider medal or a gashapon/candy medal.
Yeah. I know. I was impatient, and was certain it would turn out OK. The paint has since been removed. Though be warned, the plastic does not play nice with chemical means of paint removal. It will eat away at the plastic. I was very careful with mine.


I am sure the only way to achieve that look is to have a paint, matching the color of the medal, and mixing it with something to make the paint look shiny (dying a chrome paint?). Otherwise, it will look matte and gray.
 
Yeah. I know. I was impatient, and was certain it would turn out OK. The paint has since been removed. Though be warned, the plastic does not play nice with chemical means of paint removal. It will eat away at the plastic. I was very careful with mine.


I am sure the only way to achieve that look is to have a paint, matching the color of the medal, and mixing it with something to make the paint look shiny (dying a chrome paint?). Otherwise, it will look matte and gray.

What about just using a reflective piece of paper on the inside?
 
I don't think it will be any better. Unless you got the paper colored as the medal plastic. I think the plastic is too opaque to let the light shine through, and reflected back properly. It looks like the Premium medals' plastic are a clear, or very light color, so light can reflect through. Just a hypothesis, though.
 
having the reflective piece of paper would cover up the chips from showing. it should make it look better than spray painting them or pay huge amount of money for the premium medals
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top