Eye See You
Series completed. Much better than Powered.

I gotta say I really did like the Ultra suit in this show aswell. Fight scenes were on top and laser blasts were right on.

Jack seemed to show off some killer martial arts moves in ep 8, I'm sure it wasn't a stunt actor either. Is he a real life martial artist?.

The finale was good too. Definatley satisfied with this series. But the bottom line still in my eyes.. Ultraman belongs to Japan and in Japan. Still an awesome shot by NZ and the US on Great & Powered.

Wait...? :eyebrow: Great was filmed in New Zealand? I always thought it was Australian...?

Anyway, yeah, it's definitely better than Powered in many levels. Love the freaking white and clean suit, it's so shiny and Great is definitely influenced by the 'Streetfighter' game with the occasional hatoken style finisher, the energy punch and finger beam... Those stuff ranked him on top on my list as one of the most powerful ultraman who is a Master of Energy attack.

Gudis is definitely my favourite Martian, heck, it's a 'god', 'Gudis' means 'god' in Gothic. :169: Someone theorized that Gudis was the destroyer of Mars, wiped out the whole planet of it's resources and the martian civilization, it ate everything up until the planet was left as a barren desert world and slumbered until it was awaken again by human activities. We should be glad that we have Great on our side, if it's not for him, we'd be on the list of the all-ya-can-eat buffet... :p

The martian landscape in the first episode was very well doned (even by today's standard) and I've always wonder why they didn't recreate the same feeling during Dyna's first episode with the human outpost on Mars... :shakefist

Anyway, the team members of UMA are much more memorable than WINR, I mean atleast I could still remember most of their faces... :laugh:

Last edited:
Ultraman: Towards the Future (yes, it was produced in Australia, not New Zealand) is one of my favorite Ultra Series! I saw it when it premiered on Fox Kids on January 4, 1992, but heard of it when reading a 1990 issue of Hobby Japan (and was excited upon seeing the commercials for it on New Year's Day that time), and, not surprisingly, was my favorite show at that time. (The only other cool show Fox Kids aired around the same time was the pilot for Defenders of Dynatron City, which reminded me of Mighty Orbots, only with superheroes; It was also animated by Tokyo Movie Shinsha!) It's a shame it only aired once without reruns, but I was at least able to catch each and every episode when it ran.

I know the Australians who saw this series all seemed to hate it, and also, the show was criticized in Japan for having "shabby video composition" or for being "too serious and not thrilling enough." Here in the US, it was a minor success, its early morning broadcast notwithstanding. (It was helped by merchandise, especially the Dreamworks toys and the SNES game by Bandai.) It was kind of overshadowed by the Ninja Turtles fad (which was buried completely by the failure of the godawful Ninja Turtles III, and ultimately, just a couple of months later, a certain localized 16th Super Sentai), but I was surprised that it's gotten a pretty good response by the sci-fi crowd in the US.

The series was coproduced by the South Australian Film Commission (SAFC), and was Tsuburaya's attempt to break Ultraman into the US market. Originally, in 1988, Tsuburaya Productions was going to produce a 90 minute pilot and then full series for the unfilmed 1969 concept Ultraman Continues (Zoku Urutoraman) (in which Hayata finds a successor to the Beta Capsule; This was what eventually became Return of Ultraman), due to the resurgence of the popularity of the series due to reruns of the original series on TV, but overseas deals halted production. Tsuburaya announced in late 1989 that they were coproducing an Ultra Series with Teletrib (Tales From the Darkside), but the deal with Teletrib fell through, before Tsuburaya decided to try an Australian company instead, and production began in earnest.

The cast is impressive (especially Japanese/Hungarian stage/film actor Dore Kraus as Jack Shindo), the orchestral music by Shinsuke Kazato is excellent, and the special effects (directed by Paul Nicola and consulted by Tsuburaya vet Kouichi Takano) are quite powerful, especially in the dynamic first episode! I especially love the monsters in this show (designed by Jou Yoshida)! My favorites include Bogun (Brohz), Gerukadon, Barrangas, Majaba, Ryugalo, and Kilazee (Shillagi). Ultraman Great himself, of course, is designed by Hiroshi Maruyama, who has pretty much designed all of the Ultras since then to this day! Series director Andrew Prowse directed episodes of Farscape.

Did anyone see the original test footage for this series? Some footage from this is seen briefly in the first episode (the closeup of Gudis' eye after Ultraman stuns him; It has an angry brow!) It's rather weird, but pretty unique! Basically, elaborate rubber puppets of Ultraman and Gudis fighting each other on the Mars terrain. Not exactly up to the standards of Gerry Anderson or Jim Henson, but not too shabby.

Amazingly, when Bandai submitted their designs of the UMA mecha (the Hummer and Saltop), SAFC rejected Bandai's designs, saying that "they just won't work," so they did their own designs. (A plus, IMHO.)

BTW, there is no official DVD release of this series, even in Japan. IIRC, I was told that Tsuburaya has given up licensing this series and Ultraman: the Ultimate Hero, due largely to the production nightmares for Tsuburaya on both series. It's a shame, but I really hope they release it on DVD eventually.

Last edited:
Lurker
I loved this series.

watched the original run when it broadcasted in Singapore, but now I only have the first half of the series on DVD.

Eye See You
BTW, there is no official DVD release of this series, even in Japan. IIRC, I was told that Tsuburaya has given up licensing this series and Ultraman: the Ultimate Hero, due largely to the production nightmares for Tsuburaya on both series. It's a shame, but I really hope they release it on DVD eventually.

I've got the official DVDs right infront of me.

Eye See You
Are they Asian releases (outside of Japan, like China or Singapore)? If so, that's as official as you can get for the time being.

Not sure. All I know is, it has official covers and no Asian writing on anything...

I'm more positive than an HIV patient that this is an official (sorry, Family Guy humor).

The swearing was left in this series aswell.

I've seen this series a couple of years ago(in original format of course) in the Philippines(it was shown on ABC 5 alongside with Ultraman Powered)...Its a decent Ultraman series even if its produced in Australia.:thumbs: