Eye See You
ultragreat10%20(L).jpg

"Jack Shindo and Stanely Haggard are members of the first manned expedition to Mars, and on the red planet find a giant slug-like monster, Goudes/Gudis. Shindo is pinned by a rockslide and Haggard tries to escape in their ship but is blown up by Gudis. Suddenly a giant warrior, Ultraman Great, arrives and fights Goudes, but when Ultraman is on the verge of victory Goudes changes into a virus and travels to Earth where it mutates other creatures into monsters and awakens existing ones. Needing a human host to survive on Earth, Ultraman joins with Jack, allowing him to become the mighty alien when all seems lost. He joins UMA in order to help them battle the monsters."

NOW THIS IS THE **** I'M TALKING ABOUT. Everything like Powered, but 50x better, with a cooler storyline, 100x better fight scenes, and an overall better characters. As much as I liked Kai/Kane Kosugi, I think Jack is a much cooler Ultra.

The suit is awesome too, actual lazer blasts, PSHYSICAL contact with the Kaijuu and everything. I'm glad I watched Powered first this way I'm less dissapointed with it lol.

In episode 6, did that one member say "This ain't no choice, this is bullshit!". I swear, I rewound it just to make sure and I'm positive she did.

Jack is a bad ass and this Ultra series so far is indeed Great.

Mr. Kamen Rider
I remember them rather clumsily censoring the "Bullshit!" part on the original broadcast, it took me forever to figure out what she was saying in that scene. :laugh:

I met Dore Kraus (Jack) at a con once, and he is cool. It was funny to learn the show apparently didn't actually air in Australia, where it was made and everything. Too bad it only went for 13, they had enough to work with to go at least a couple more.

Eye See You
Agreed. If the remaining episodes I got to watch from this series are as good as the ones I've seen then It's a damn shame nothing more came from it.

S

scikaiju

Sad part is, according to a interview Kraus, it was suppose to be a 50 episode series. But the Australian company that co-produced it had a disagreement with Tysubura over money when they ran out early. Apparently there was no special effect houses in Australia at the time and they had to do everything from scratch. It is a good series but my only complaints is they dropped the Gudius subplot early, maybe they would have picked it up again if the show kept going I don't know, and the some of the monster designs. They looked good but to me a few of them looked like they would have been better if the show had a bigger budget

I met Dore Kraus (Jack) at a con once, and he is cool.

What con was that :O_O:

I remember growing up watching Towards the Future, I think its a rather awesome Ultra series :thumbs: Was there an official R1 release? Block Buster has a few Ultraman DVD's entitled Towards the Future and Ultraman II Towards the Future but Jonias is on cover :eyebrow:

i've got the entire series on my computer and wrote a small review of it on the GKA Times, definetly worth checking out

Eye See You
Sad part is, according to a interview Kraus, it was suppose to be a 50 episode series. But the Australian company that co-produced it had a disagreement with Tysubura over money when they ran out early. Apparently there was no special effect houses in Australia at the time and they had to do everything from scratch. It is a good series but my only complaints is they dropped the Gudius subplot early, maybe they would have picked it up again if the show kept going I don't know, and the some of the monster designs. They looked good but to me a few of them looked like they would have been better if the show had a bigger budget

There is always money issues and little **** ups that destroy other Tokusatsu from becomming big. I'm telling you right now, had this aired in North America 3 years before MMPR we could have had an awesome rivalry that would still be going on today, possibley.

Mr. Kamen Rider
What con was that :O_O:

I remember growing up watching Towards the Future, I think its a rather awesome Ultra series :thumbs: Was there an official R1 release? Block Buster has a few Ultraman DVD's entitled Towards the Future and Ultraman II Towards the Future but Jonias is on cover :eyebrow:

Er... it was G-Con or Kaiju-Con, in NYC. As far as I know they don't do them anymore, this was back in the late 90's. I thnk G-Fest (which seems to vary between west coast and mideast) is still going though. Dunno if Dore still does cons though.

I've never seen Great on DVD yet, and I'm hoping like hell Tsuburaya will release a Japanese version. They can even include the dub track with Fujioka & Kobayashi! And the doofy-ass song that replaced the original awesome theme tune if they must. Speaking of which, Great has some of the best music ever.