MPAA Takes Aim at Horror and R-rated Cinema

Honestly, I love the MPAA, because they are such a bunch of funny people. Listen, these are the people that said the crazy 88 fight couldn't be shown in kill bill unless it was in black and white, these are the people who now say 101 dalmations would be an R-Rated movie because Cruella De ville is smoking in it. these were the type of people who basically made every single action film from the nineties an absolute, car-chase filled bore. These people are awesome!

Also, who cares nowadays with Unrated DVD and Blu ray all over the place. What they edit out of the theatrical release, they'll just jam whatever was left back into the DVD.
 
Western horror films have been taking a PG-13 turn for a while now anyway, and since I don't think a crackdown on content or concept is going to preclude whatever quality we weren't receiving in the first place, I'm not really that surprised or upset to hear about this. The real gems are going to be coming from underground, independent filmmakers, people who don't have to worry about mollifying the MPAA for widespread distribution deals, people who can work freely outside the confines of censorship regulations.

I think it would be a mistake to presume that without being able to shock audiences with excesses of graphic imagery that the creativity of new horror films will somehow be benefitted, though. I suspect that now we'll just get bland movies without even interesting violence to make them interesting.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top