[Anime] Mobile Suit Gundam: Universal Century Saga (0079-Victory) Mega-Thread

Eye See You
Someone please explain the Turn-A Gundam story to me. I'm 5 episodes in and still confused. I don't know who is who and where these people are from and why it's like Gundam in the 1950's. :laugh:

Lurker
Someone please explain the Turn-A Gundam story to me. I'm 5 episodes in and still confused. I don't know who is who and where these people are from and why it's like Gundam in the 1950's. :laugh:

Ah yes, Turn A Gundam had really great story beats that mostly stick even though I watched it a long time ago. I just got a better fansub, so you know what? It might be time for a rewatch. I'll try to watch it with you, though I probably can't marathon as quickly as you can.

You probably might be confused because you have the shitty HK subs.

I forgot exactly what was and what wasn't revealed in the first 5 episodes, so I'll get to them and get back to you.

Or if what you really mean is that you want to be spoiled, just say so.

Eye See You
I got a good Fansub, no HK.

I don't mind being spoiled at this point... I just don't know wtf is going on because it feels like it's Gundam in the 1950's.

Lurker
By episode 5, all you're supposed to know is that the invaders are from the moon, and there are mobile suits buried all over the place on Earth. Sid recognizes that they're from "The Dark History".

If you've watched a lot of Toku and Anime up until now, you can make a couple of good guesses as to what that means.

Anyway, this entry from wikipedia sums it up nicely.

The population of the Earth is, at the beginning of the series, limited to simple, steam-driven technology after past cataclysms; the Moon is populated by the Moonrace, humans who left Earth after a great war long ago to reside in technologically advanced lunar colonies until such time as they deemed the Earth suitable to return to.

The reason why Earth is using 1930's tech is a really cool plot twist that gets revealed later on. It's worth waiting on, but I'll spoil it if you really insist.

I watched the last episode of Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 this morning. I liked it, though with it being split across 22 weeks I'm sure later episodes will have contained things that I've overlooked because it refers to something earlier that I've forgotten about. Maybe one day I'll go back and check out the original version in a shorter time frame.

As it happens I'm also watching the current seasons for Sentai, Kamen Rider and Precure. So this is the first time (and possibly only time, depending on what takes the timeslot) that I was watching the entirety of "Sunday Morning Kids Time". That shouldn't really mean anything but somehow I got a kick out of watching the whole block.

Next up for me as far as Universal Century content goes is probably the F91 movie. I'm hoping it's not as bad as it's been made out to be. :sweat:

K

Kamen Rider IXA

F91 is ok. It left me with a feeling that it had potential to be much more than it was.

Good to know. Supposedly the crossbones gundam manga continues the story. Sadly nothing animated though, unless Victory Gundam contains some references.

K

Kamen Rider IXA

I was super hyped for Crossbone as well, but first chapter felt more like a poorly drawn fanfiction than a real manga.
So I stopped reading after a few chapters.