Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legend The Movie

Did I love it? Hell yes. Was it the best Ultraman movie ever? ...no.

Actually, I still think the Next is my favorite and I would rank this one as tied with my second-favorite, Super 8 Ultra Brothers. This movie has a ton of things to love and it really is a visual feast but I take a couple issues with it. While the story is solid, I don't find it to be quite as satisfying as the other two films I mentioned and even though it was cool to get a film SO jam-packed with ACTION-ACTION-ACTION, it hardly felt like I was ever given a chance to really catch my breath. I could have used a few more quiet moments in this film's breakneck pacing.

The other thing is that the lack of practical effects REALLY makes this film lose points in my book. For the most part the all-CG environments are done exceedingly well but there's no reason you couldn't have more practicals even in a film like this. I don't know, make the rocks they are walking on practicals, or the canyons of Planet Dent. The way characters' feet interacted with the surfaces they were walking or standing on made it really obvious that they were shot on a greenscreen at times and it was pretty frustrating seeing as how most of the ground in the film was no different from, say, Nexus' Metafield. If the crazy-surreal greenscreen sequences of The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus can have great miniature effects worked in, there's no reason they couldn't have taken an extra half-year and done the same thing with this film.

But aside from that I DID love the film - it's basically everything that Godzilla Final Wars wanted to be and so much more. Seeing the Land of Light was eye-poppingly awesome and Zero was a great character. Despite my nitpicks, Tsuburaya once again proves that they are still the best in the industry right now.

EDIT: Also, the subtitles? Annoying as hell. I appreciate Tsuburaya putting subtitles on the DVD but half the time they aren't even actually translating what's being said in favor of writing their own dialogue because I guess maybe they thought it sounded cooler. Whatever. I want ACCURATE subtitles. -_-
 
Last edited:
Agree with your review completely - my thoughts exactly when I saw the movie in Tokyo (DVD still to arrive).
Lots of great things - but too frentic and too much CGI. I'll stick with "Mebius and the Ultra Brothers" as my fave cos it has so much heart.
Still a more than worthy effort from Tsuburaya though.A fine addition to the series.

Roll on the Zero TV series!:thumbs:
 
EDIT: Also, the subtitles? Annoying as hell. I appreciate Tsuburaya putting subtitles on the DVD but half the time they aren't even actually translating what's being said in favor of writing their own dialogue because I guess maybe they thought it sounded cooler. Whatever. I want ACCURATE subtitles. -_-

Same here, Mr. Foust.

Some didn't make sense, some didn't fit.
 
I too saw it as well. I'm amazed to see how far Mebius has grown from being a rookie into a pro, especially where he passed the torch to Rei. Not to mention that there were a lot of things that were finally revealed, like Ultra Father & Mother's real names, what really happened to Dyna, as well as an M78 Ultraman like Belial ever existed.
 
Last edited:
I agree that the subtitles are a bit of a dissapointment to an otherwise great DVD. I didn't watch the whole thing with subs, but turned them on a couple of times and was surprised how frequently the deviated from the actual dialogue. Nothing that drastically alters the story, but lots of unncessary changes.
 
I agree that the subtitles are a bit of a dissapointment to an otherwise great DVD. I didn't watch the whole thing with subs, but turned them on a couple of times and was surprised how frequently the deviated from the actual dialogue. Nothing that drastically alters the story, but lots of unncessary changes.

Oh, but by "deviated, "do you mean like, antonyms and synonyms here. Or are we talking about crazy stuff? :laugh: (even if it doesn't change the story, it changes SOMETHING if a sentence is translated a completely different way)
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top