Mark Millar Explains His Vision on the Man of Steel

When did Superman become immortal in the comics? I can understand the powers and aging slower but not total immortality so he sees the end of the world.

On top of that, Superman is the positive Superhero. If you want to sit in a church and cry, go read Batman

Miller is the guy who made fun of his readers in Wanted and ended it with "This is my face as I'm fucking you in the ass." Keep him away from the big blue hayseed
 
Second only to Frank Miller, Millar is the last guy I want on Superman. Comics or otherwise.

I'd rather have Marv Wolfman. He did a much better adaptation of SUPERMAN RETURNS (the novelization), so he should really do a screenplay.

That is, if Jon Peters is no longer the producer . . .
 
I'm beginning to think DC & Warner are being very spiteful about Superman. They've bastardized the character in the past 20+ years, but THIS takes the taco.

One reason is that DC is in a legal tangle with the Siegel and Shuster estates over the rights to Superman. If Siegel/Shuster wins, I won't weep. Superman would be mercifully out of DC's hands, and wind up in the hands of people who really care.

DC doesn't care much for Wonder Woman, either. They have to keep doing comics, or they have to hand the rights back to Marston's estate. She's rarely a girl's role model anymore, but a men's sex fantasy (or, dare I say it, a rape victim).

If this "trilogy" gets made, it will flat out bomb at the box office. I guess that's what DC/Warner's counting on. After all, Batman matters more than anyone else.

Fair trade: I'll accept this trilogy, if Batman dies in his next film. After all, Batman's one movie away from being an "epic trilogy!"

Slow down there chief.

DC/Warner has nothing to do with this (at this point). This is just Mark Millar blowing hot air out of his mouth in an interview that was most likely for Kick-Ass, his most recent movie pitch made into a comic book.
 
I'm beginning to think DC & Warner are being very spiteful about Superman. They've bastardized the character in the past 20+ years, but THIS takes the taco.

One reason is that DC is in a legal tangle with the Siegel and Shuster estates over the rights to Superman. If Siegel/Shuster wins, I won't weep. Superman would be mercifully out of DC's hands, and wind up in the hands of people who really care.

DC doesn't care much for Wonder Woman, either. They have to keep doing comics, or they have to hand the rights back to Marston's estate. She's rarely a girl's role model anymore, but a men's sex fantasy (or, dare I say it, a rape victim).

If this "trilogy" gets made, it will flat out bomb at the box office. I guess that's what DC/Warner's counting on. After all, Batman matters more than anyone else.

Fair trade: I'll accept this trilogy, if Batman dies in his next film. After all, Batman's one movie away from being an "epic trilogy!"

The main problem is the big three have been around so long and become so iconic that it's too hard to develop them after decades of attempts at doing so, and it's hard to challenge them with anything that has any lasting effect, and those that are wrongly given the chance to provide a big character changing challenge often **** it up.
Wonder Woman is simply lost. The feminist angle is exausted and boring now. The alienation of Diana being in the modern/ man's world is very tired. The Greek mythos has options but is more or less cut off right now, despite Rucka's great creations. Simone could pull it off given enough leeway but she's unlikely to get that. Infinite Crisis was sort of good for Diana, or at the very least a decent effort. Amazons Attack wasn't. Final Crisis probably won't be... Just feels like the device was used to keep her out of the way so they didn't have to deal with her.


Superman... Well, same kind of problem... He's the icon, he's the super hero, he's the man of steel... Personally I find that character stale and too traditional (I'm not saying Superman should be 'edgy' and grimdark, that'd be even worse and kept to the occasionally interesting elseworlds), but I understand why people maintain the admiration for him and all that jizz. Just even less interested in another Superman movie than I was with Returns.
 
You guys have good points, and it makes a good discussion. If I come off as bitter and cynical, I apologize. But you get the point.

The main problem is the big three have been around so long and become so iconic that it's too hard to develop them after decades of attempts at doing so, and it's hard to challenge them with anything that has any lasting effect, and those that are wrongly given the chance to provide a big character changing challenge often **** it up.

Wonder Woman is simply lost. The feminist angle is exausted and boring now. The alienation of Diana being in the modern/ man's world is very tired. The Greek mythos has options but is more or less cut off right now, despite Rucka's great creations. Simone could pull it off given enough leeway but she's unlikely to get that. Infinite Crisis was sort of good for Diana, or at the very least a decent effort. Amazons Attack wasn't. Final Crisis probably won't be... Just feels like the device was used to keep her out of the way so they didn't have to deal with her.

Superman... Well, same kind of problem... He's the icon, he's the super hero, he's the man of steel... Personally I find that character stale and too traditional (I'm not saying Superman should be 'edgy' and grimdark, that'd be even worse and kept to the occasionally interesting elseworlds), but I understand why people maintain the admiration for him and all that jizz. Just even less interested in another Superman movie than I was with Returns.

I'm just waiting for a GOOD new Superman movie to be made. (All of the Christopher Reeve films are admittedly inconsistent, but all quite enjoyable.) I thought Returns was a waste of great talent. (I hope Brandon Routh and Kevin Spacey, at least, are kept for the reboot, because they really did fit their roles.)

But anyway, that's why I wish DC could either concentrate on their lesser characters (Flash, Green Lantern, Teen Titans, etc.), or create new ones, and use the Big Three more sparingly. Forgive me, but most of the current writers/artists butchering the Big Three are parasites. Frank Miller among others (at least Miller's doing his own original stuff, even if it is testosterone fantasy violence, just like his bastardization of other people's characters). Very few people know how to handle them well anymore (Darwyn Cooke being one of those few).

But with DC's lack of variety, Batman is going to get boring after a while. The character has been so outrageously degraded, no more than Superman and Wonder Woman have been.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top