Kamen Rider Wizard, Ep 1 - "The Wizard Uses Rings"

This needed to be put in this thread...
3yefa.jpg

That would make the series a lot more interesting and it would probably be the best rated Rider series of all time lol
 
Hey, Madoka also borrowed ideas from Ryuki. And IMO it's simply an inverse of that of OOO's Yummys; since they're born from desire, whether good or bad.
Also, the White Magician looks like Growing Form. :castlerock:

Yeah, I get it since both were deconstructions of their respective genres. Ryuki deconstructs the Kamen Rider Series while Madoka deconstructs the Magical Girl shows... Except that Madoka Kaname at the very end reconstructed the show as they are by becoming hope itself and thus instead of fighting witches born from fallen Puellae Magi, the whole world's Puellae Magi are fighting Demons... where in this case, we also have demons born out of despair so... why not?

Now, this is getting interesting in my point of view.

This needed to be put in this thread...
3yefa.jpg
Make a contract with me and become a Wizard.

:rofl:
A-ahem! But simultaneously...
tumblr_lt83veYFxF1r4qwnco1_1280.png
 
That's what supporting characters are for. The hero, as the most important character/role model, should be irreproachable.
Tell that to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby when they founded the modern Marvel Universe. If Marvel has gotten to be what it's today it's because they didn't follow DC and instead created heroes with flaws, some of them with HUGE flaws. And guess what? Back then the main public of the comics were the same kids are supposed to be Kamen Rider's main public.

That statement only shows how narrow minded you are and the huge misconceptions you have about kid shows.

Kamen Rider is mass-produced.
That doesn't mean it must be always the same.
 
Tell that to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby when they founded the modern Marvel Universe. If Marvel has gotten to be what it's today it's because they didn't follow DC and instead created heroes with flaws, some of them with HUGE flaws. And guess what? Back then the main public of the comics were the same kids are supposed to be Kamen Rider's main public.

That statement only shows how narrow minded you are and the huge misconceptions you have about kid shows.

Now, I know very little about comics. But aren't YOU generalising here? Spiderman (Marvel) is a nice guy while Batman (DC) is more "troubled" and edgy. I'm sure there are many other such examples that counter your statement.

Characters that are not nice are by definition not good, unless presented as "anti-heroes" who are ultimately redeemable or will be redeemed. Kamen Rider is not entirely comparable to western comics - it doesn't feature a lot of the issues (sexuality, drugs, etc.) that feature in Marvel nor is the character drama so complex and prolonged. Japanese media should understand the importance of role models for kids. Why do you think young idols get banned from dating and it's a huge scandal if they are caught smoking or something?

That doesn't mean it must be always the same.

It's not. Contrary to popular belief, there is more than one way to write an unequivocally good character, and it does not make them "bland." The last three lead Riders aren't the same, nor were the first three Heisei Riders, but they're all good examples to the audience.
 
Guys, would you mind using some Hide tags? Scrolling past the same wallpaper-sized image three times on the same page is a bit silly :sweat:

I just feel like posting these lol
[HIDE]
vlcsnap-2012-09-03-00h54m19s253.avif

vlcsnap-2012-09-03-00h54m29s64.avif[/HIDE]

Part of me suspects this "White Wizard" is the Wiseman that Phoenix and Medusa spoke of. If not, then he's definitely related to the Wiseman somehow.

If he turns out to be our secondary Rider (or one of several secondary Riders, even) down the line, I think I'd be happy with that. His design is adequately different from Wizard's while still very much fitting the tone of the show (rather than being a completely new concept based vaguely around the Rings), while the white colouring seems to work pretty well along with the more ornate/elaborate design of his armour and belt.

On another note...

After watching the episode a few times, my big problem with it is this; the form/power spam was a bit overboard for a first episode. I know people have mentioned this, so I'm glad I'm not the only one :laugh: I feel that him displaying Land and Hurricane Styles so quickly, just to use them for what, ten-fifteen seconds each, really lessens their impact. I love Wizard's designs, so Land and Hurricane's debuts just seemed underwhelming in comparison to what I've come to expect from a first-time-form-change scene.
 
Last edited:
I don't know, secondary Riders usually get their own character arc and are personally involved in the story. To maintain the White Wizard's mystery, he'd have to be a sort of Shurikenger figure, and that leaves the character distanced from the rest. I would like to see him as a movie-only Rider a la Skull
 
At least TVN does take their time making sure they have a good translation.
I do like the interesting fonts and all, but I do not like whole waiting a week thing too.

What? TVN take so long purely because of the fonts, not because they put in an extra effort. In fact, they'e infamous for their poor translations, mistakes and in some cases, flat out guessing what was happening. I don't want to turn this into a subbing war debate, but I couldn't recommend avoiding TVN more. Use them as a last resort and only if you're desperate to watch a series that no one else has done.

As for Wizard.. It's too early to really get a feel for. There were things I liked about the episode, it definitely feels like a back to basics series after Fourze, the police involvement is very reminiscent of Kuuga. Wizard himself seems like a less over the top version of Decade, being kind of full of himself, without being a total ass hole and his powers and abilities all seem pretty cool. I love the "shabadoobie, touch to henshin" but I do think they spammed too many of his forms. Sticking to fire and earth for this episode would have been better.

I'm looking forward to seeing where the show goes and I wonder if the second rider is going to be another wizard, or a G3 style human-made rider that the police develop to combat the phantoms.
 
Now, I know very little about comics. But aren't YOU generalising here? Spiderman (Marvel) is a nice guy while Batman (DC) is more "troubled" and edgy. I'm sure there are many other such examples that counter your statement.
Yep, it shows well you lack of knowledge about comics. Under that niceness Peter Parker is a deeply faulty and complicated person, don't forget he was responsible for his uncle's death.

Batman in the 60's was a joke like all the other DC heroes. It wasn't until Marvel started to sell loads that DC got serious and redefined Batman into the dark, brooding hero he is as of today.

Characters that are not nice are by definition not good, unless presented as "anti-heroes" who are ultimately redeemable or will be redeemed. Kamen Rider is not entirely comparable to western comics - it doesn't feature a lot of the issues (sexuality, drugs, etc.) that feature in Marvel nor is the character drama so complex and prolonged. Japanese media should understand the importance of role models for kids. Why do you think young idols get banned from dating and it's a huge scandal if they are caught smoking or something?
That's truly narrow minded. That people behave in not a nice manner doesn't automatically make them evil and the opposite works too. You adore Enter, who almost always behaves in a sort of comedic way but he's still a villain with genocidal plans for the human race.

And the main problem here is that you're depicting Haruto as unfitting as a main hero just because he shows confidence and cockiness. Haruto is the same sort of hero as his predecessors, just with a different behaviour.

It's not. Contrary to popular belief, there is more than one way to write an unequivocally good character, and it does not make them "bland." The last three lead Riders aren't the same, nor were the first three Heisei Riders, but they're all good examples to the audience.
Agreed in that Shotaro, Eiji and Gentaro have different personalities, but I would like you elaborated why Haruto is a bad example for kids. I've watched the episode twice and hasn't seen anything censurable about him.
 
You'd be really really right if it wasn't for all that wrong **** you keep taking about.


Well if it works for Fox News....



I gotta post more obviously exaggerated stuff. People seem to prefer to reply to them instead of the second part of the post which is separated by "Now seriously" which is pretty much dead give away that everything told before hand wasn't serious
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top