Kamen Rider Shin - Thoughts & Opinions

This particular film was to have served as the backdoor pilot to a potential TV series, which unfortunately never came to be.

It was part of a triumvirate of sorts of early 90's Kamen Rider films that came about in the absense of a TV series, the other two were ZO and J.

I really loved the movie because it was different than your typical Kamen Rider story. the transformation came about like a mutation or almost lycanthropic. The science involved in the story is very much ahead of its time and the whole film had a feel similar to David Cronenberg's The Fly.

I loved the emotional turmoil of the lead character, very similar to 'The Incredible Hulk', the whole notion of a man struggling with his demons in more ways than one.

Although the ending kinda left things up in the air for a follow up which never came. I think the filmmakers should've at least had the hindsight to shoot two endings just in case the film wasn't successful enough to warrant a TV series, which we all know it wasn't successful but has gained something of a cult following for people, like me, who like a little something different from their Kamen Riders. :)

So, anyone else which to comment?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The movie was incredibly boring, but I liked the fight scenes. That's all I have in my thought.
 
I believe it is called Shin Kamen Rider, not Kamen Rider Shin. And as Natsumi from Decade pointed out, the movie is a prologue. The monster genre was actually what Ishinomori had in mind for Kamen Rider before it became a super hero genre.

I personally thought the movie rocked. It was like watching a Kamen Rider show that really panders to my adult tastes. And, like Natsumi yet again, I wish there was a continuation. I wanted to see more of what happens after the events of the movie!
 
I liked it, I thought it was lacking in some respects, but I liked the direction it took and could possibly take if made into a series. I'm always welcome to something 'different' though. I still would like to see something more "adult" and taken seriously by story and direction
 
It was pretty slow for a KR movie.
The action was ok, and we got to see Tit's and Ass (:buttrock:) but i can see why it flopped.
 
^Cause it's suppose to be a kids show.

I think ever since the All Rider Spin Off Shin has gained a bigger cult following.
 
I believe it is called Shin Kamen Rider, not Kamen Rider Shin. And as Natsumi from Decade pointed out, the movie is a prologue. The monster genre was actually what Ishinomori had in mind for Kamen Rider before it became a super hero genre.

I personally thought the movie rocked. It was like watching a Kamen Rider show that really panders to my adult tastes. And, like Natsumi yet again, I wish there was a continuation. I wanted to see more of what happens after the events of the movie!

That's right, Shin Kamen Rider, sorry. :redface2:

the fact that it appealed to my adult sensibilities is why I love this film too. :)
 
^Cause it's suppose to be a kids show.

Says who? Ishinomori made Kamen Rider, he's the only one allowed to say what Kamen Rider is "suppose" to be. The only reason Shin didn't do well is probably because people were expecting a movie for kids, not because it's "suppose" to be a kids show.
 
Says who? Ishinomori made Kamen Rider, he's the only one allowed to say what Kamen Rider is "suppose" to be. The only reason Shin didn't do well is probably because people were expecting a movie for kids, not because it's "suppose" to be a kids show.
That's what I'm saying. Everyone views Kamen Rider as a kid show so when you see something like Shin some people will either not take there kids to see it because he's scary or you'll see "Kamen Rider" in the tittle and think it's a kids movie. Ishinomori probably knew that this movie was a gamble.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top