Kamen Rider Kuuga Fansub Project

Well, language exists to convey meaning to other people who speak that language. Did you miss the whole subplot about the linguist trying to decipher the language over the course of the show? The Japanese characters in Kuuga do not speak Grongi, and the original viewing audience did not understand it, either. If you subtitle the Grongi you will significantly alter the experience for anyone watching it for the first time. Since most people hold back on watching Kuuga simply because the available subtitle are so bad, this is going to cover a lot of people.

I don't know for sure one way or the other, but if the Japanese region DVDs come with grongi translations it's probably through optional subtitles that you can turn on and off, for people who have watched the show once and want to revisit those scenes with a new perspective. Add the grongi translations in a separate text file, if you want. But people should have an opportunity to watch those scenes the way they were originally meant to be seen.

And while I think it's a good thing to resume a series that someone else has dropped, lay off on dissing the other guy's translation, okay? Every translator makes mistakes from time to time. I could call out a few shaky bits just in your OP translation, as well.
Atleast they got the " No Fear, No Pain " part right. But yeah, it might hinder the viewer's experience if they're watching Kuuga for the first time and throw Sakurako's subplot out the window.
 
First off i want to say that i was never 'dissing' SCS-works. I was talking about the HK subs that I have seen. Infact the reason we ARE starting at episode 13 is because we think that they have done a great job in covering the show so far. So please do not take my words the wrong way. I think that if we have the means to subtitling the grongi speech makes for a more complete release. I however respect that some people think otherwise and i'll consider making a seperate release for each episode that leaves the grongi speech unsubtitled if there is enough support for that. Also I again want to say that we have nothing but respect for SCS and one of our member is infact trying to contact them in their channel about what their plans are for continuing with Kuuga. Sure if they continue we will be rivals but ultimately all off us are just rtying to make the show better understandable for others. So again, please don't read into my words the wrong way. We just started today and for many of our members this is our very first project so in no way do we want to imply that were better then any other group. But i DO think that we can do a better job then Hong Kong releases that went from japanese to chinese to english subtitles at the hands of people with questionable skill in either japanese or the english languages.
 
Oh, okay. I actually did think you were referring to SCS, and that's what got my dander up. Sorry for getting pissy about that, then. Making fun of HK subs ('specially the Kuuga HKs) is totally fine. :)

Anyway, thanks for at least considering our thoughts on the Grongi language. It's really appreciated.
 
As for Dr Kain's Question, we plan to release in h.263 Avi format at around 300 to 350 mb per episode. We are most likely going to release by torrents and by dcc via our IRC channel. I just need to read up on how to set up a torrent tracker. If we do get torrents working I will be posting them in this thread if that is allowed?
 
Yeah. We all wish for more to watch Kuuga, and understand it. Its a shame that some people don't watch it because of the lack of decent subtitles. Makes me feel lucky that I understand japanese.
 
So this is toku's Kilngon? XD
I do love me some Grongi speak though I might try to learn it.

Naw, Klingon's a real invented language. Grongi is basically a cypher, sort of like a cryptogram. (My ideal sub of Kuuga's grongi scenes would actually be to translate them and then cypher the English somehow, then put the cypher up as a sub. But that would be an insane amount of work, and probably wouldn't come out as well as it looks in my head.)
 
Regarding the Grongi language, I saw an ad on Toei Channel for an airing of Kuuga that was supposed to be special because Grongi scenes were subtitled.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top