Juuken Sentai Gekiranger - Talk Up! [Spoilers]

I like Jan the way he is, yeah, it's cool to hate the loudmouth type and love the "strong" leader and all, but when done right, this type of red is great. I loved it in Abaranger, the later half of Magi and Jan is making me a huge fan of the role of red after how horrible (to me) Akashi was, he was a good concept, but not the best execution. I like strong leaders, but I don't really think Akashi was one, out of the loudmouth reds we've had, I've only liked two and a half, I like it the best when they can find a good mix of the two. Not a total dumbass, but not a total boring character.

The only thing that I don't really like about Gekiranger is that the heroes don't seem to have as rich of a backstory as the villains do, other than that, I love these characters and this is the first sentai since Abaranger that I've enjoyed this much.
 
I like Jan the way he is, yeah, it's cool to hate the loudmouth type and love the "strong" leader and all, but when done right, this type of red is great. I loved it in Abaranger, the later half of Magi and Jan is making me a huge fan of the role of red after how horrible (to me) Akashi was, he was a good concept, but not the best execution. I like strong leaders, but I don't really think Akashi was one, out of the loudmouth reds we've had, I've only liked two and a half, I like it the best when they can find a good mix of the two. Not a total dumbass, but not a total boring character.

The only thing that I don't really like about Gekiranger is that the heroes don't seem to have as rich of a backstory as the villains do, other than that, I love these characters and this is the first sentai since Abaranger that I've enjoyed this much.

Well now I never said I hated the type, I just hate the way it's being overdone done and overblown. Like you said "when done right". If anything it's more a frustration with the type being bastardized into something obnoxious than with the type itself neccessarily. Compare guys like Kenta or Tetsuya to Kai or Jan. Kenta and Tetsuya start lookin like AkaRanger.

I didn't think Akashi was horrible at all but I agree with you to some extent only because at times it does feel like his real potential as a return of the strong leader Red was a bit neutered overall by forcing wacky moments and such.

I also agree the heroes got the short end of the stick storywise. I mean logically speaking, it really shouldn't ever be the villans your audience is tempted to cheer for in a sentai story. But they're kinda almost becoming the protags because all the damn story mojo is going to them. I mean, don't get me wrong they're great villans but what about our sentai team? You got the cool concept of a kung-fu themed sentai and are our heroes include..a Tarzan boy? wtf?

At least there's Ran.
 
I didn't think Akashi was horrible at all but I agree with you to some extent only because at times it does feel like his real potential as a return of the strong leader Red was a bit neutered overall by forcing wacky moments and such.

Yeah, other than forcing the wacky moments on Akashi (once was fine, twice OK, but by the tenth time in a row...), it didn't help that I don't think Takahashi played them well.

I, of course, like the strong, sane, leader Reds, and Akashi was supposed to be a return to that, but...I felt like he was pretty much a traditional Red in looks only. I think worse than Akashi becoming a clown is that Akashi ordinarily just came across as someone who never seemed to care for people's safety or even just the safety of his own teammates. What really didn't help is that the Negatives were so dull and incompetent that they posed no danger (they're truly the worst sentai villains, IMO).

As for Jan -- yes, it would be nice if he could bring his volume down (and/or choose another voice for the character), but at this point, Suzuki is the only one on the side of the heroes brining any life to his character. Of course, I would have liked to see what I think would be a more realistic jungle-raised character -- a fighter whose style was brutal would go well in contrast to the trained fighters Ran and Retsu (think Kamen Rider Amazon, but less Encino Man) -- but Toei just doesn't want to take risks on that sort of thing. And it doesn't help that Geki's writer, Michiko Yokote, sounds as if she doesn't really think much of the genre (she's supposedly said that she feels like there's nothing new that can be done with it), which could explain why the heroes' side is so lacking.
 
And it doesn't help that Geki's writer, Michiko Yokote, sounds as if she doesn't really think much of the genre (she's supposedly said that she feels like there's nothing new that can be done with it), which could explain why the heroes' side is so lacking.
I don't think anyone that thinks like that should be writing for these shows, I don't really believe it's something she would say. For me at least, she's made Sentai fun and interesting again.

I don't think Jan is perfect, but I like him the way he is, from what I've seen, the voice used for Jan is more or less Suzuki's actual voice, compared to, say, Ban, I don't mind Jan's voice at all. It would be nice if the other heroes were more lively, or at least had more going for them and if Jan's jungleboyness showed more(then people would really complain), but I think they will eventually get that and Jan will become more civil, it just seems that the first half of the series is supposed to focus on the villains more than the rangers, something I think is a pretty bold and interesting move.

I think Akashi was just really, really overhyped as a return to the strong and serious team leader, and a lot of people bought into it, and I'm not usually one to think this, but I really do believe it's because a lot of current fans haven't seen older Sentai to see what a traditional strong red is like.
 
Last edited:
I don't think anyone that thinks like that should be writing for these shows, I don't really believe it's something she would say.

I don't see it being completely impossible, there have been writers or directors in Hollywood who speak negatively about a project they're working on, but still accept the gig to either make it their own, different vision, warp it, or simply just to work. But I don't think what she said was anything as bad as "Ugh, tokusatsu, I'm above that," but that she didn't feel like much of anything new could be done with it -- that could even just be sugar coating the fact that Toei isn't brave enough to go in new directions and she feels restrained. :shrug: She at least seems to understand that sentai needs strong villains, which have been lacking in the '00 sentai series, so that's probably why the major focus on them.

...if Jan's jungleboyness showed more(then people would really complain)

I don't know, I think that could have helped people accept Jan more -- we only saw his jungle surroundings for three minutes in the first episode. If they spent more time on that or showed some more of how he came to be, I think some viewers could possibly understand and take his antics more. Instead, I think they're trying to be too mysterious with the possible(?) connection to Rio's past.

I still think Geki has room for improvement, though -- episodes like 15, which was a nice episode, show how good it can be when actually about characters and not the usual episodes about nothing other than unconvincing training sequences. There's a few episodes that show what Geki can really be and I hope the second half improves upon it (I'm in fear of the 'new-hero downfall', which I think always harms tokusatsu shows than ever helps them, so that could make it turn for the worst like Dekaranger or Boukenger). I really hate the idea of the new hero coming in when our three heroes still need some work...

I think Akashi was just really, really overhyped as a return to the strong and serious team leader, and a lot of people bought into it, and I'm not usually one to think this, but I really do believe it's because a lot of current fans haven't seen older Sentai to see what a traditional strong red is like.

After rewatching some Bioman recently, I really noticed that it seemed like they wanted Akashi to be like Gou (who the Japanese fans seem to think is sentai's best Red). "Chief, I served with Gou Shirou. I knew Gou Shirou, Gou Shirou was a friend of mine. Chief, you're no Gou Shirou."
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top