Jungle Fury Now vs Then-Has it saved PR?

NinjaJack

Member
Hey this is going to each and every critic who late last year made it quite clear here and elsewhere that they "hoped Disney would pull the plug on PR" and didn't PR deserved another season after Overdirve was erm...over

So what do you think now, has PR redeemed itseslf with Jungle Fury?

Have Dai Shi and Camile been:


-Threatening?

-Brooding?

-Powerful?

-Interesting?


Have the fights been

-More realistic?

-Better played out

-Lack of wire fu

-Wire fu more when it's appropriate


Has the season so far been

-Interesting

-Thought provoking

-Involving

-Fun

-Cool


This Ninja waits for your response Henshin Justice
 
I dunno... the fights feel drawn out and not really exciting. And considering its the bulk of the episodes nowadays it just makes the whole experience tedious. Its not quite 'fun' or 'cool'. Altough Theo and Swoop floating over the lake were better than the Geki version and looked pretty majestic.

Dai Shi is a confusing concept with lack of defined objectives. He's threatening enough though. Camille...well we don't really get her much either, altough Holly's been doing a great job.

Just feels like 'same old same old' to me.

I REALLY hope they ditch the whole 'Rookie Red' concept next year >< damnit I want an eager Red Ranger!! Someone who's excited and happy, a go getter who does everything at MACH SPEED!!

Mack was a step in the right direction but it didn't felt emphasised enough.
 
Has Jungle Fury saved PR? Not even close.

I remember the Rangercast episode when Funaro said that Overdrive was the most apathetic season he's ever seen, and how the people behind the show don't seem to care anymore.

That, to me, is exactly how I feel about Jungle Fury. They don't care anymore. They completely mishandle the rangers, the secondary characters don't do anything (all TWO of them), and they're not even making an effort to make sense out of this story. Plus, Jarrod/Dai Shi/Whoever the **** he is is t the worst villain ever.

Now, they have had some really good episodes, don't get me wrong. The premiere was great, Sigh of the Tiger was pretty good, Pizza Slice of Life, Way of the Master, all really good episodes. So it's not all terrible. But for the most part, it's just like they're not trying anymore. One of the biggest complaints about this season is there's no "hook." Why should I keep watching this show? To see Jarrod train halfway through the season only to continue to get his ass kicked? Overdrive, as poorly as it fell apart in the end, at least had the battle for all the jewels. Jungle Fury has nothing.

The past few episodes have been pretty decent, so I'm not totally ready to give up on this show yet, but... I don't know if I might later on. Plus, with the scab eps coming up, I don't know if this season can redeem itself.
 

Hit the nail on the head. Also have to give a nod to the whole "Apathy" of the writing. Sometimes it does feel as though the writers dont care anymore. Like they're not into it. Maybe that's not true. But I've seen better work from them. SPD and MF were great. I know the team is capable of good writing (though some may disagree with whether those seasons were "good" writing.)

It's too early for me to judge Jungle Fury as any kind of savior or "second coming" for Power Rangers. But so far, I would say no. I've enjoyed the majority of the episodes, but there are glaring problems.

My major problem is that there's a total lack of any episodic plot and most of the episode time is filled up with drawn out fighting. The fighting is not exciting anymore

You know, an explosion used to mean something for PR. When I was watching Ghost of a Chance part 2, I was reminded why explosions were exciting. When one of the sentinel monsters swung his weapon, an explosion was triggered.

The ranger dodged but it was just like "holy **** this monster is powerful! look at that!! WHOA!"

But since MF and especially PROO, explosions have just been randomly thrown in without any fucking reason at all. PROO make me sick of explosions. It took the use of explosions to a new, disgusting extreme.

JF feels like a real hit and miss for me. Somethings it does great, other things not-so-great
 
You know there's a problem when the Go-ongers beating up Ugats randomly at the begining of an episode or Ren getting his butt kicked by a Yakuza are more exciting that key battles of the 'story' in Jungle Fury.
 
When I first watched Jungle Fury, I thought it was going to my last chance of watching the Power Rangers again. So far, the battles are decent, Jarrod/DaiShi is a very confusing villain. We don't know if he has a "hook" to what his true motives are, he's just training halfway through unlike his counterpart, Rio who has a better objective of showing loyalty to the RinJuuken. Camille, all I can say is that she is a bit deep than Mele. I am not saying I am disliking Mele, it's just that Camille is working on gaining more of Jarrod/DaiShi's acceptance and nothing more. So far, the writing for each episode is a little clearer except for episode 10 and "Ghost of A Chance, Part II". Better than what we have seen in the past five Disney PR seasons, thanks to Mr. Tellegan. Now for Lily, RJ, and Fran, I have got nothing on their acting but Theo and Casey needed to beef up their acting. And finally, the action choreography, I can see that Sakamoto-san decided to say, "Screw you, Kalish!" and went about his own ways about what to do with the invisible wires and exploding background. I'll bet he's been watching more Gekiranger episodes than Kalish did.

Overall, the show is earning its way to a 74-81% range. Let's hope that this season will make up for the disgraceful years we have had since Disney starting "Milking the Cow" with the Power Rangers and another franchise that I will not say the title of "That one Movie".
 
Okay fair enough there so far. I'm not sensing the vile hatred of the series as of last year. Case in point being there seems to be a talkback every week when last year it was every couple of months!:laugh:

Which brings me to my next set of questions



-How does it compare to overdrive?


1.In handling of their powers

2.In the team makeup

3.Thier mentors

4.etc


Now I fully expected the long fights since this is a kung fu season.

Now as far as Dai Shi and the story goes heres this Ninja's perspective


Dai Shi
The Great Lion is great. he's been played and brought out by Bede very well. Do I care that he's constantly being trained only to have his butt handed to him? Not much seeing that he previously hands the Ranger butts to them prior to this.

I've watched Geki to this point and I can break down the two Lions like so

Rio:Overconfident, strong and relentless

Dai Shi:Egomaniac, strong capable

See I know Rio is mentally Dai Shi's superior but I find Dai Shi a bit stronger at this point(and less prone to bleeding)

And I hate Jan but whatever. I offten see the sentai and PR in the same light on both shores. Boukenger was big and well big Overdrive felt the same way. Did either of the series end up being as cool and SPD or Dekaranger? Not for me.


Gekiranger was alot of things that I liked rolled up into one. I'm like PRJF so far because it's managing to pull off some cool concepts with the coolest mentor ever.


Now I'd like to ignore Geki at this point and look at the fact that this is the first series after the convention and after fans voiced their opinions to staffs face to face.

-Less explosions that make no sense(PR Operation Overdrive)

-Villains that don't make a ton of puny jokes every time they get the chance

-Less wire fu

-No weirdo/fanboy on the team ala Bridge, Dustin or Dax

and a whole slew of other little things that the past Kalish seasons did not have.


Oh and props to the folks behind the music.
Not only has the background music been simply outstanding but the theme has been good and even great without the lyrics.
 
I dont think I have a vile hatred of PRJF but I just cant say it's the most amazing season I ever saw.

Compared to PROO, it's definitely a step up. PROO wasnt even watchable for me.
 
I dont think I have a vile hatred of PRJF but I just cant say it's the most amazing season I ever saw.

Compared to PROO, it's definitely a step up. PROO wasnt even watchable for me.

I know as I'm still waiting for that seasonal review> I don't think Jungle Fury is the best season ever if only because RJ hasn't morphed yet.
Which brings me to a thought...


Isn't RJ so far one of the best characters in years? I mean mulilevel personality thing seems to work.


And on a side note, I think Flit is Dominic
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…