Japan Hero is Officially Done.

Not really. One is a testament to hundreds of years of back-breaking manual labor and innovatively progressive architectural design, the other is dead web space.

But it's dead web space that he glanced at a few times!
 
Not really. One is a testament to hundreds of years of back-breaking manual labor and innovatively progressive architectural design, the other is dead web space.

No way! Japan Hero was totally a testament to hundreds of years of stuff and like.. innovative.. progress website... things.. n' stuff.

They're totally the same thing.
 
It's sad to see it go. Jeff interviewed me once a long time ago. That was fun. I was hoping that interview would stay up so the real truth behind how tv-nihon came into being would be around :?
 
Not really. One is a testament to hundreds of years of back-breaking manual labor and innovatively progressive architectural design, the other is dead web space.

In terms of this fandom, there haven't been too many large hubs of influence. Japan Hero was at one time a major one. It deserves a place in the fandom's history, and its total erasure is sad to anyone with a sense of nostalgia about it.

Obviously it doesn't compare to the pyramids' impact on the world, but to the fandom, it left a mark. The same can't be said for any random blog that five people read maybe twice a month (and yes, I can appreciate the irony of someone such as myself making a statement like that, being a blogger and all).

I wrote several reviews for the site, actually. Coincidentally, I found a few of them while doing random searches on some related topic and suddenly realized how much work I actually did for JH back in the day. I had sort of forgotten how involved I was. o_O
 
While it's sad to see it go I think not having it there is a little better than just kind of leaving it propped up. I mean when was the last time that front page had an update? It was little sad seeing it still rotating Hurricanger images even 5 years after the fact.

At the same time though Japan Hero helped a lot of us have access to info on this material at a time when there was exactly jack and squat for resources on tokusatsu.

In that respect I would say the site has a proud legacy for the fandom that should be fondly remembered and leaving it in our memories gives it better dignity than to leave it up and pretending it's still going strong when it obviously is not.
 
I think people tend to forget what things were like when Japan Hero was alive and kicking. It was a time before downloads were available for mostly every series -- it was a time when a lot of people were still on dial-up. Might sound like nothing now, but people thought it was seriously cool to get clips of the latest episodes -- oh, and Japan Hero's time was before YouTube, too. I liked the forum, it was nice that people like Jeff and kage cared and were on the ball to keep that place running smoothly with a reasonable set of rules, and the posters were pleasant no matter how crazy or juvenile someone like Tetsuya Sawaki would be when talking about a bad show like Faiz.

But once Jeff went AWOL, and it was mostly left to kage, and then kage eventually stepped away, the site and forum should have closed up then, IMO. It just didn't seem the same. After the two key people who shaped the site left, it just sort of felt like that scene in Wayne's World, when Wayne gets fired, and it's left to Garth to host the show. I mean, everybody who stayed behind did try, we all had ideas to keep the place going, but it was hard with the "Where's Jeffo?" game. Nobody could track him down to get access to the actual site and play around with it. No updates, no incentive for advertising the place, it just sort of trailed off. I certainly reached a point where I took on a sort of defeatist view. It was a sad way to end a place which was one of the first big doorways for English speaking tokusatsu fans.

I know people are like "Well, Wikipedia has made websites, and places like Japan Hero, obsolete," without realizing that a lot of Wikipedia's tokusatsu pages contain info lifted from other sites and sources. So, I don't think if Japan Hero got up and running again, with up-to-date content, it would have been totally useless.
 
You know, there are probably 50 million people who are going to disagree with this, but I think HJU has done more for the tokusatsu fandom than any other board ever has.
 
You know, there are probably 50 million people who are going to disagree with this, but I think HJU has done more for the tokusatsu fandom than any other board ever has.

Hmm.. Forums maybe, over all site I would still stick with Japan hero. Hell even before JH there was jill's sentai spoilers site.
 
It's sad to see that index blank page, though. I was really hopin that Keith's plan to put it back on its feet worked. It would have been awesome.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top