Is Kabuto the First Rider Series Not to Use a Belt?

People, let's just let the man watch it and judge it for himself, k?
 
Last edited:
Seriously. Hibiki doesn't have much of an overplot (but neither does Dekaranger and it's one of the most beloved Sentai series), but where it lacks in an overarching story, it makes up for it in character interaction and development. Despite that Hibiki has a different cosmetic sensibility and character focal method than your typical Rider series, Hibiki himself is a classic hero. Very literally, he's someone for young boys (such as Asumu) and girls to look up to, a true, unwavering hero. While I also liked the protagonists in Faiz and Blade, Hibiki was a nice change of pace.

I was drawn into the world of Hibiki by the end of the second episode and yearned for more after each episode. Consider this an enthusiastic reply in support of Hibiki. It has it's flaws, but the series is incredibly compelling. How it was received by the Japanese public is a moot point, Hibiki is in many ways more mature than other more intensely violent Rider series, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it did bore children. I think there's something in Hibiki for everybody, but on the whole, I accept that not everyone will be satisfied by it. The only way to find out is to watch a good chunk of it for yourself.
 
I really, really like Hibiki a lot. In fact, it's the show that got me into the franchise (that I found out later it's rather different than other KR shows didn't deter me). For one, it's got the best character development out of any toku show I've watched yet, and it's got adults who behave like adults. Hibiki himself is the truest hero that I've seen yet in the new-gen Kamen Rider shows (I should qualify by pointing that I've not seen a single episode of Agito). The rider action is less of a focus than in other KR stuff, so if you're tuning in for that, you will be disappointed. Also, a lot of the Film Student Crap disappears by the fifth and sixth episodes (when Ibuki shows up).

I also like it because Hibiki actually looks like he's seen the inside of a gym, and eats regular meals.
 
See...most people that don't like it have seen less than 20 episodes. I don't see why people are so willing to say "Keep watching Blade! It gets better in the 30's." but are so quick to judge Hibiki. Sure it didn't have as much action as other series, but it was a character driven series and that's what a lot of people fail to see and quickly call it a failed story.

But I'd agree with JFC, just watch it for yourself. Most of the good story comes towards the end of the series, the second Todoroki arc which I thought was the best in the entire series, hell, the best story arc since Agito, didn't even come until around 42/43. The only part of the series that I didn't really like were the late teens since there was a five episode run when nothing much happened, aside from that, I loved every episode.
 
Blue said:
See...most people that don't like it have seen less than 20 episodes. I don't see why people are so willing to say "Keep watching Blade! It gets better in the 30's." but are so quick to judge Hibiki. Sure it didn't have as much action as other series, but it was a character driven series and that's what a lot of people fail to see and quickly call it a failed story.

The characters in the story are well written that you even come to love the secondary riders...

Like this dude...:laugh:


...that and you kinda feel sorry for Sabaki getting his @$$ kicked every so often.
 
FreedomR8G6B1 said:
...that and you kinda feel sorry for Sabaki getting his @$$ kicked every so often.
...every so often? How many times did the series make it seem like he died? :laugh:

Loved the tofu training* though.

*= random arc name for when Akira Fuse showed up.
 
Blue said:
...every so often? How many times did the series make it seem like he died? :laugh:

Takes a licking and keeps on ticking...honestly, I'd say only 2 riders officially died in the series.

Blue said:
Loved the tofu training* though.

*= random arc name for when Akira Fuse showed up.

That was quite bizarre, but funny. :laugh:
 
Hibiki rivals Agito in character development, depth, and execution. Granted, it was a bit removed from the "Kamen Rider" tradition, but it totally made up for that with its meshing of traditional elements (as in culture) and the newer tokusatsu. The riders aren't just pretty boys (granted many of them are very pretty) getting nice weaponry without lifting an anorexic finger for it. They train to earn their places, they have hierarchy and order, the Takeshi Group is shown to be an intrinsic, but unseen part of maintaining the order between that proverbial "Good" and "Bad." Heck, they even mix the lines between those distinctions seeing as they get their "powers" from Oni. Hibiki took what's perceived as the richest and best portions of Japanese Culture and meshed it with a modern and fresh approach of tokusatsu.

Judging Hibiki within less than the first 10-15 eps is not giving it due justice. Like a J, K, C drama - it builds its storylines, they crescendo. You can't tell me that Zanki's personal dilemma with his teacher, and Todoroki's personal challenges, or Akira's misguided ambitions are not chockful of character.
Interactions between Asumu and Hitomi, the Takeshi girls and riders...that's what makes Hibiki good and stand out.

Bottom line: if you're willing to step out of the traditional, but rather static framework of Kamen Rider-ness and see the ways Hibiki takes that and modifies it, along with all the essential elements of cosntructing a compelling storyline, with kickass music, then Hibiki does that. If you'd prefer the shoddy and rather shallow storylines of particularly the Heisei Generation (excluding Agito and couple others) , but very gimmick-heavy Rider shows, you'll probably not enjoy Hibiki too much.
 
FreedomR8G6B1 said:
That was quite bizarre, but funny. :laugh:

I loved that arc, my favorite part was when: [HIDE]Kogure-san (Fuse Akira's character) met his match with Ibuki, who offered no resistance to his berating.[/HIDE]

I don't necessarily agree that the other new gen series are somehow shallow or unworthy, I've found every new gen series that I've seen (which is all of them, except for Kuuga and Agito, which I've only sampled) to be highly enjoyable.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top