If you could change one thing about the current Sentai/Rider formats what would it be

In regards to Rider, it would probably be more continuity ties now that the shows are all in the same universe.

I started V3 recently, and loved seeing Ichigo/Nigo in the first two episodes. I'd like to see some things like that happening, like, X Rider helps Y Rider obtain their belt/powers, and then goes back to their own place and we get Y's season, with occasional appearances by X when things get really bad.
 
For Sentai: Quit it with the cluster combination that the robot can't walk by itself. The last Gattai that I see working is Boukenger's Ultimate DaiBouken, since then most last Gattai is super stupid. G12, Samurai Ha-Oh, Goseiger's pretty much too hard to accept. Kanzen Gokai-Oh is acceptable, but then Go-Buster Oh destroyed that (a 3-pieces combination only but seems heavy).

For Rider: To distance itself from Sentai formula a bit like the tendency to hire actor within Sentai age boundary. All seems pretty boy and hardly convinced me I'm not watching Sentai. The last Rider I'm convinced with is Kabuto's lineup of Riders. Den-O works for me since the storyline is comedic in purpose, though.
 
In regards to Rider, it would probably be more continuity ties now that the shows are all in the same universe.

I started V3 recently, and loved seeing Ichigo/Nigo in the first two episodes. I'd like to see some things like that happening, like, X Rider helps Y Rider obtain their belt/powers, and then goes back to their own place and we get Y's season, with occasional appearances by X when things get really bad.
You know that would be more fitting for Rider shows thesedays. I mean considering that in Movie Taisen MEGAMAX, both OOO's universe and Fourze's were one. The same thing with W's universe connecting with OOO's universe in Movie Taisen CORE, but that was probably for the team-up films in general, not the actual storylines of the TV series.

For Sentai: Quit it with the cluster combination that the robot can't walk by itself. The last Gattai that I see working is Boukenger's Ultimate DaiBouken, since then most last Gattai is super stupid. G12, Samurai Ha-Oh, Goseiger's pretty much too hard to accept. Kanzen Gokai-Oh is acceptable, but then Go-Buster Oh destroyed that (a 3-pieces combination only but seems heavy).
Yeah, Sentai needs to go back to it former roots where it's just the main Robo, the Sixth Hero's Robo, and the secondary main Robo for the Core Heroes.
 
Sentai: Mecha
-each core five team members as the interchangeable as the core mecha the various formation. Each with it own distinct head and finishers. The other option is to have the red senshi mecha with five faces.
- unorthodox masks and helmet that does get involved in attacks
-more unique weapons instead of swords, rifles, and bazookas on the mechas. In addition to have more weapon that can link up with others.
-more asymmetrical designs as well as more weapons to use as finishers
-less focus on having perfect android mechas. For that is causing the latter formation to become so clustered. As well as having secondary formation like time-ranger mecha with time shadow. Just with more rearrangement
-more auto-sequence or some other sequence that isn't the usual gattai formations
-give it one more weapon for it use that isn't a triple changer, base, or heavy artillery mecha use
-more incomplete formations in battle
-more individual mecha doing finishers that isn't the red senshi
 
Last edited:
Sentai: Mecha
-each core five team members as the interchangeable as the core mecha the various formation. Each with it own distinct head and finishers. The other option is to have the red senshi mecha with five faces.

Voltron Force did this and it was awesome. :thumbs:

- unorthodox masks and helmet that does get involved in attacks
-more unique weapons instead of swords, rifles, and bazookas on the mechas. In addition to have more weapon that can link up with others.
-more asymmetrical designs as well as more weapons to use as finishers
-less focus on having perfect android mechas. For that is causing the latter formation to become so clustered. As well as having secondary formation like time-ranger mecha with time shadow. Just with more rearrangement

Agree on the weapons, though, but asymmetrical? Depends on the execution.
-Less android mechs would be neater because mechanics really does limit it, or at least the design direction they go for every show.

-more auto-sequence or some other sequence that isn't the usual gattai formations
I agree COMPLETELY. Stock footage is so aggravating, so at least some variation.

-more incomplete formations in battle
-more individual mecha doing finishers that isn't the read rangers
I just want more mecha fights separated than united and to rip open the tropes of complete formations all the time.
 
Voltron Force did this and it was awesome. :thumbs:



Agree on the weapons, though, but asymmetrical? Depends on the execution.
-Less android mechs would be neater because mechanics really does limit it, or at least the design direction they go for every show.


I agree COMPLETELY. Stock footage is so aggravating, so at least some variation.


I just want more mecha fights separated than united and to rip open the tropes of complete formations all the time.

It has to be asymmetrical. Think of all the mecha now as very original transformers style. Which is why I don't think that they can use symmetrical concept that much any more. They did it typical big five, super pants,and arms replacement. The other way it could be done is literally changing the proportion even more than what they have now. Those are two way I see it. They can still use symmetrical designs just they have to put more restraint when coming up with designs.

Stock footage for me depends on the mecha though. The biggest worry I have have for them making it look too like lego bricks. For I can deal with it for primary, secondary, tertiary mechas to the second most powerful form. The real problem I see always lies with the ultimate formation not with the formations below that.


I also want to see more senshi mecha abuse and unintentional victories.
 
Last edited:
Sentai: End the need for giant robot battles every single episode... if not get rid of them all together.
I don't know about getting rid of them, but there are definitely some episodes where not only is the mecha battle not needed, but it hurts the episode because they have to put the story on hold for the obligatory mech battle. Being able to recognise that and skip it for these episodes would be nice. I remember watching Shinkenger and often thinking that the story really ended with death of the smaller first life. It really felt like the mech battle was just there for tradition.
It has to be asymmetrical. Think of all the mecha now as very original transformers style. Which is why I don't think that they can use symmetrical concept that much any more. They did it typical big five, super pants, arms replacement.
While I'm not convinced they "have" to be asymmetrical, I agree that the typical "red is the torso and everyone else is limbs" scenario has been done to death. But I'm not a fan of the Dairanger/Go-Busters (and now Kyoryuger) style "red is the main robot and everyone else just forms armor around him" method either. It feels like making the other mechs less important reflects on their rangers somehow. Maybe that's just me.

To me, the combined form is the icing on the cake. I love to see an interesting looking individual mech, or one that transforms for the combination in an interesting way. I realise that sentai mech design has to take into account both being something that can be a wearable suit and also not make the toy prohibitively expensive, and these both tend to contribute towards a level of blockyness. But whenever they pull off something a little more unusual, I enjoy the mecha so much more. It doesn't have to be something major. The way the dragon origami folds in on itself to go from being a very elongated form to being a compact leg. They way Gosei Snake flips round to be not only the entire of one leg, the waist/groin area, and the upper part of the other leg. Even the way Engine Speedor is just the pectorals and shoulders rather than a full torso. Just mixing it up slightly to make it more unusual. I wish we could see more of that. I'd also like to see the mechs used individually more often. After all, if their only use is to be part of the combined robo, why didn't they just build one big robot rather than having something that seperates into pieces?
 
While I'm not convinced they "have" to be asymmetrical, I agree that the typical "red is the torso and everyone else is limbs" scenario has been done to death. But I'm not a fan of the Dairanger/Go-Busters (and now Kyoryuger) style "red is the main robot and everyone else just forms armor around him" method either. It feels like making the other mechs less important reflects on their rangers somehow. Maybe that's just me.

To me, the combined form is the icing on the cake. I love to see an interesting looking individual mech, or one that transforms for the combination in an interesting way. I realise that sentai mech design has to take into account both being something that can be a wearable suit and also not make the toy prohibitively expensive, and these both tend to contribute towards a level of blockyness. But whenever they pull off something a little more unusual, I enjoy the mecha so much more. It doesn't have to be something major. The way the dragon origami folds in on itself to go from being a very elongated form to being a compact leg. They way Gosei Snake flips round to be not only the entire of one leg, the waist/groin area, and the upper part of the other leg. Even the way Engine Speedor is just the pectorals and shoulders rather than a full torso. Just mixing it up slightly to make it more unusual. I wish we could see more of that. I'd also like to see the mechs used individually more often. After all, if their only use is to be part of the combined robo, why didn't they just build one big robot rather than having something that seperates into pieces?

I think your put too emphasis on one function without detracting enough from another for the stand alone mechas. For you can't have it both way, for even with reuse of themes, it can't maintain all of it. Unless you all of it be all part forming rather than the formation used currently. It feel that one part that is use for one formation, may not be use for another still is a little problem to this as well. This is more or less what is when it maintaining the integrity of the mechas. That is the only foolproof way to have both the transformation and the mecha. All the asymmetrical design is past through the back or front of it, while the other can wrap around the top front. Think of it this way, they should not have a designed area for the group cockpit, but the cover of it must be in the mecha or it must flip out, tuck away for something else. Even just changing it at the wrist would make more drastic difference. I'm pretty such they can hide the kibble. They just need a bit more hidden features. They could even reverse certain parts completely then keep the head or tail depending on it. As for asymmetry, it has to be at least with the formation of the mecha. All the really need minimally is three mecha, the other two can handle other functions. It isn't as complicated as you think.

As for those in goseigreat and Engine Gattai GunBir-O, I consider just another alternative version of pants. Dragon orgiami, I consider more or less like dekaranger main mecha with the odd limb.

For the large individual mecha, yes, you could have it. Just that you would require several finishers, which is just as problematic as the combinations. It's literally a pick your poison situation. combinations or finishers. That is what most individual mecha emphasis more if they weren't being shafted.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, Sentai needs to go back to it former roots where it's just the main Robo, the Sixth Hero's Robo, and the secondary main Robo for the Core Heroes.

Isn't it? Just give the Robo an alternate mode if they want to sell more toys. And I doubt they want to take out robo/ mecha battles out of Sentai because that's where the money comes from, but making a whole brick of immobile Robo isn't going to appeal much here.

And cut it out with the fight footage of mecha being overused. Gokaiger really suffered from this. I feel sorry for the stuntman. His role in that series is just like for wearing a mecha costume and stand in the same frame as the big monster and then Cut!

Talk about being inputting an idea in the mecha fight..
 
Last edited:

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top