Baxter had kept his mouth shut while the two talked business, but the sudden hostilities prompted him to approach. Although he was on the opposite side of the counter to them, they could see his hand reaching underneath for something. He was a big, brawny man who had survived his fair share of skirmishes, and was known and liked throughout Fort Ares. It would not be wise to provoke his ire any further.

“Listen, you pair,” he said, “I don’t mind yer talkin’ shop, but I don’t tolerate no rough-housin’, ‘specially not from two strangers.” He pointed at the man in black. “You threaten my customers with violence, an’ I promise yer with it.” Next, to Peter, “An’ you, buddy, you cool yer heels. There’s people here t’ drink, an’ yer disturbin’ ‘em. I’ll be keepin’ my eye on the both o’ yers. Un’erstood?”

Lurker
"Wasn't a threat." the man in black said, as calm and cool as ever as he took another sip of his drink. "If I were makin' a threat I'd take the rifles off my back and let them do the talking." he said. It could have been that he didn't know Baxter's reputation, or perhaps the wastelands had just toughened him up that much but he didn't look the least bit afraid of the brawny bar owner though his tone didn't show any disrespect either.

"Was just letting the man know that holding out on me isn't a good idea if he cant do it he cant do, but he can and says he cant...well that kind of thing gets under my skin."

"Wasn't a threat." the man in black said, as calm and cool as ever as he took another sip of his drink. "If I were makin' a threat I'd take the rifles off my back and let them do the talking." he said. It could have been that he didn't know Baxter's reputation, or perhaps the wastelands had just toughened him up that much but he didn't look the least bit afraid of the brawny bar owner though his tone didn't show any disrespect either.

"Was just letting the man know that holding out on me isn't a good idea if he cant do it he cant do, but he can and says he cant...well that kind of thing gets under my skin."

"Not a threat, huh?" Rosa's giggly charming voice cooed in the ear of the man in black as she gently wrapped her hands around his neck from behind "Just like this isn't a threat"

on the word 'this' Rosa's fingers tightened, putting pressure on certain points in the man's neck. Suddenly the man in black found it was strongly uncomfortable to breath and swallow and he couldn't bring himself to move much below his chin.

"Mouth off to my Pa again" the sultry voice continued "I will guarantee you wont leave this bar un-gelded, catch my drift?"

“Sorry sir, I didn’t mean to let my temper get the better of me. I won’t cause any more ruckus.â€

Peter said calmly though sincerely, he seemed somewhat surprised by how quickly the situation had escalated. Turning back to the man in black this surprise only intensified as he saw the bar tender with her hands around his throat. Taking extra caution to keep his voice down, he walked around the man in black and spoke to her.

“Lets not get carried away now, he shouldn’t of said what he said but I’m sure he didn’t do it out of meanness. He knows now that I’m not going to try and weasel him out of what's his so we’ll just get back to our business and keep quiet. Right?“

Peter said calmly as he patted the man in black’s shoulder, trying his best to show her that there wouldn't be anymore trouble.

“I’m glad t’hear it,” said Baxter, moving away from whatever he was hiding under the counter. “We get enough trouble ‘round these parts. Don’t need no more.” He took note of Peter’s movements, watching him approach the man in black, and Rosa. The barkeep’s furious eyebrows cocked slightly. “All right, point’s been made, Rosa m’darlin’. You can let ‘im go now.”

" Alright Pa" Rosa says as she lets the man in black go. as soon as she stops touching him he is just fine, obviously she just knew of a pressure point or two which caused the effect. with fluid graceful movements Rosa walked back behind the bar and began to take stock of what they had and what they might need before the night ended.

Lurker
Even with her hands around his neck he didnt seem to panic or struggle, just waited for it to be over, anticipating that sooner or later someone would make her let go. With his neck freed he took a nice deep breath before helping himself to another sip of his drink. "The air always does taste a little better after it's been cut off for a little bit." he said before glancing over at Rosa again. "So your name's Rosa huh? It's actually pretty fitting, easy on the eyes, but obviously you've got some thorns." he said "Not everyone knows where those pressure points are, gotta admit, I'm a little impressed, and I do impress easily."

"If you impress easily" Rosa replied with a smirk "then perhaps one of the other girls would be more your speed. I'm beyond impressive"

She continued to take stock, then looked to Baxter. "Am I serving or entertaining tonight?"

Peter had a look of utter astonishment, the man in black seemed eager to keep up his image regardless of any impending danger. With a slight shake of his head, peter returned to his chair and stored his maps away.

Seeing that he was busy conversing with the bartender, Peter started to look through his P.T.C.s curious if he could find any more information about the mountain region near fort Ares.

“You en’ertain every night, darlin’,” said Baxter, who had occupied himself with cleaning out glasses. A grizzled old man in a small hover-chair floated up to the counter.

“Han’ me down a whiskey, Bax,” said the man. A quick inspection would reveal that the chair had no leg room. It was a rusty compact model, like an eggcup without the stem or base. The old miner had, through some happenstance, lost most everything below the level of his thighs.

“Sure, Lofty,” said Baxter, and set the blissfully perspiring glass on the surface, “you payin’ now?”

“Naw, put it in m’tab,” said the man nicknamed Lofty. “Promisin’ ya this time, Bax, I know my boys’re gonna be diggin’ up enough martian gold o’er Libya-way t’ pay off everyone in town’s tabs.”

“Keep tellin’ yerself that, ya old coot,” Baxter smiled warmly as the miner took his drink and floated off, already necking it down. “Anyways, like I was sayin’,” Baxter returned to Rosa, “you en’ertain every night, darlin’. I think you should stick to servin’ an’ give the other girls a chance. They’re complainin’ ya make ‘em look bad.”

The highland mountain Lofty had mentioned was approximately twelve or so miles east of Fort Ares. It was one of the newest mining projects, and Lofty, although no longer fit to work underground himself, had been quick enough to stake his claim there so that his sons, his younger brothers, and their sons, could mine their fortune there. It was part of a range known as the Valley Wall, stretching many hundreds of miles in a north-easterly arch, and pitted with streams and rivers that, long ago, had been desolate canyons. Past the mountains were the wild lands, an uneven expanse of plains inhabited by all kinds of beasties, including hostile tribes of orange xelsees. According to old legends, this particular tribe liked to cut the tops off the skulls of their captives and stew their brains. It was a nasty way to die.

The oilskin map operated on a bizarrely specific scale that was difficult to replicate precisely on the P.T.C.’s screen, as if it existed between decimal fractions too small to register on the adjustable settings that bordered the display. If, however, Peter were to make an educated guess, the journey would take them towards the opposite end of the wall on that unwelcomingly untamed side. The trek would be long, tiring, and arduous. Not impossible, but damned close to it.

Last edited: