Help Support Indie American Tokusatsu!

This is what we meant by making some test shots and show off what you can do. You have so many holes in your presentation it's very noticeable and somewhat troubling. You could spend an hour filming something, add elements of the effects you want to create and then we can see your abilities. That's how you're going to get donations and it'll take a day.

Exactly! Or, alternatively take a month and do a full, self-contained short showing all of these kinds of things in addition to solid storytelling, cinematography and editing. Which is exactly what we've been advising you to do for months now.
 
Looks like we got another Cyber Gear on our hands people. :redface2:

The Vanilla Ice of indie tokusatsu. :laugh:
 
Looks like we got another Cyber Gear on our hands people. :redface2:

The Vanilla Ice of indie tokusatsu. :laugh:

I remember Cyber Gear but I don't remember much other than the name. What was the deal there?

JFreedan is very much Huntie Neo in so many ways. I don't know about Cyber Gear but this whole thing reminds me a lot of the Godzilla X The Kaiju Killer debacle. :laugh:

EDIT: Oh, I totally forgot that I was contacted to do the Cyber Gear comic at one point. XD
 
I remember Cyber Gear but I don't remember much other than the name. What was the deal there?

JFreedan is very much Huntie Neo in so many ways. I don't know about Cyber Gear but this whole thing reminds me a lot of the Godzilla X The Kaiju Killer debacle. :laugh:

EDIT: Oh, I totally forgot that I was contacted to do the Cyber Gear comic at one point. XD

Cyber Gear was the one with that Ultraman/Metal Hero-looking guy in the digital world, right? (Sort of like TRON or Gridman.) And the real world footage was to be live-action, IIRC.

It's all but vanished for some reason. Either the guy is still working on it, or has given up on it completely (the latter is a likely scenario, considering some other projects I've seen).

See, even if one is really serious about a project, it should be fun, too. Even if you have to produce little tests for your filmmaking skill. I've done plenty of experimental FX stuff in the past few years, which culminated in my Rekira project. Here's the other student stuff I did prior:

The Big Guy on Campus (live-action student short):
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KISTbSVmb84"]YouTube - The Big Guy on Campus (2006)[/ame]

Godzilla: Frontier Missile Sequence (camera/lighting CG test):
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmg6CC-viDA"]YouTube - Godzilla: Frontier Missile Sequence (Simple 3D Project)[/ame]

Rekira: CG Test (Just a simple animation test):
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fldJ025DmjY"]YouTube - ??????? REKIRA - CG Test[/ame]

And, here's the earlier cut of the Rekira short (the optical animation FX flow much better here, IMHO):
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWZAmAfsGTw"]YouTube - ????????????? REKIRA - Pilot (Capstone)[/ame]

And, of course:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgrR7m2Js-c"]YouTube - ????????????? - REKIRA - Pilot (Improved HD Version)[/ame]

Is it perfect? No. But did people like it? Yes. Did people understand what I wanted to do? Yes. Am I proud of it? Definitely! Do I want to do a bigger, longer video of this? That's something I've been dreaming of. I always wanted to be the next Eiji Tsuburaya or Jim Henson. But for now, I'm planning it as a webcomic, as I love the medium, so one day, when I get some money, I'll be able to do a major Rekira video project! (I could easily do it as another CG animation, but I'm pining for a live-action project.) Meanwhile, I'm also working on a second non-Rekira project as well, something else I'll be very proud of.

See? You just need patience. Play around with your skills. When it came to drawing cartoons and comics, I'm self-taught. I've been doing the same thing with animation and videos.
 
All I can say is that the movie won't be what you expect it to be. :P

But in terms of action, there's gonna be a crossover film where Gun Caliber challenges guns and fists with another hero. Who will it be? Just stay tuned.

As for DOING action, wearing a lightweight track suit doing Wushu and wearing a heavy-ass superhero suit with limited vision doing action are WORLDS apart. So try not to expect much of me in that thing...

Sorry for the thread hijack. :P

Anyways, back on topic. This guy should just get a job. And if he has a job, work overtime. He talks about being passionate, but hasn't talked about how much money he himself is putting into it.

Haha no worries my friend, as a student of wushu I totally understand. What I mean is that you seem to actually UNDERSTAND wushu. Haha, which is more than most.

And yeah, that vid that was posted of him presenting left me with a lot of questions.

Would it have hurt to show us the 3D models he wanted?
 
And yeah, that vid that was posted of him presenting left me with a lot of questions.

Would it have hurt to show us the 3D models he wanted?

Yeah, it's really become a project where we're asked to just accept that the project will turn out well without ever being shown any evidence to prove it. Hell, it could even make him come off as a swindler whether he intends to swindle anyone or not. I'm reminded of the Godzilla Zero Hour guy, Franz What'shisnuts, and how he sold a bunch of T-Shirts at GFest to raise money for his project and then used that money to buy a PSP on his way home. I have more faith in jfreedan than that - if nothing else, he obviously has passion - but without anything to really show people, I could see how someone could get that impression.

I think the thing with Cyber Gear was that the main player in the project ended getting arrested for something.

Whaaaaaaaaaat?! I thought they were only in high school or something?
 
Yeah, it's really become a project where we're asked to just accept that the project will turn out well without ever being shown any evidence to prove it. Hell, it could even make him come off as a swindler whether he intends to swindle anyone or not. I'm reminded of the Godzilla Zero Hour guy, Franz What'shisnuts, and how he sold a bunch of T-Shirts at GFest to raise money for his project and then used that money to buy a PSP on his way home. I have more faith in jfreedan than that - if nothing else, he obviously has passion - but without anything to really show people, I could see how someone could get that impression.

Wow! THAT part I did not know about. (The PSP thing.) I did know that when he did finish the film (or at least some rough cut/workprint), he tried to show it at the con, but the player just wouldn't play the disc it was on! It was a total mess.

I think the thing with Cyber Gear was that the main player in the project ended getting arrested for something.

Whaaaaaaaaaat?! I thought they were only in high school or something?

Yeah, now I vaguely remember reading about that! I still wonder why he got arrested. That was disturbing news.

That's one project down...
 
Yeah, now I vaguely remember reading about that! I still wonder why he got arrested. That was disturbing news.

That's one project down...

Wow on Cyber Gear, now that's a name I haven't seen in years. I feel so old now.

Anyway, I remember the gist of the arrest was Masked_Rider_Aftershock (or whoever the creator of Cyber Gear was) got arrested or at least very big trouble for e-stalking some no name musical artist on myspace.

My google-fu on the event however seems to be weak because I'm getting very little details back.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top