Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 - Talk UP! A Wizard Meets His End!

Daniel Radcliffe was on the Daily Shown with Jon Stewart tonight promoting the movie (as if it needed promotion) and surprisingly enough, he was actually pretty funny.
 
I think though, you would have to agree that Snape's memories were indeed tear-jerking moments.

See, that's the thing. I didn't think they were.

Every scene and subplot that should have been emotionally charged and compelling ended up falling flat because they were just details that got inserted into the movie last minute and became extraneous to Harry's final encounter with Voldemort, which itself was not handled well. Major turning points that the books introduced so well, like the truth behind Snape's love for Harry's mother and his secretive involvement in his life, Dumbledore's history and relationship with his surviving family, even the feelings of the other major protagonists were all brushed aside in this hurry to get to the finale they'd been building towards. Every factor involved in all these crucial moments dictated that they should have been tremendously emotional and meaningful and motivating in driving the story toward it's inevitable conclusion. Every component of the formula was present, but that's the problem: these films had begun to be made according to a formula and not given the special treatment that each installment deserves to be its own self-contained thread of the running story.

Did nobody else notice how inconsequential really important characters like Ron, Hermione, Snape, Bellatrix, Ginny, Malfoy and a myriad of others were to the narrative of the new film? In the past few films they'd been dominating forces in Harry's life, there to guide him and offer him support or deceive and oppose him. In Deathly Hallows Pt. II they were just sorta there. Neville killed a snake, but big deal. The movie was really just about Harry and Voldemort and everyone else was given the shaft when it would have been much more impactful for them to have all come together on opposite sides of this staggering wizard war. I just felt like it was a shitty thing to do to people who actually care about the characters and their connections and other areas the books delivered so well instead of just a lot of arbitrary death and Daniel Radcliffe being given an excuse to walk around without a shirt on.
 
No way, man. The July 2011 issue of Scientific Monthly reports that Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, Pt. 2 is thoroughly anticlimactic and an unfortunate way to end a series that has captivated the imaginations of millions.

Here's the thing.

You don't like it? That's fine.

They don't like it? That's fine too.

Does that matter to the millions and millions of people who like it?

No, it doesn't.

You've set your standard too high and seem to expect everyone else to be at you're level.

They're not, and they don't have to be.

That's why they can enjoy a movie for what it is, and not pick out every single detail.
 
Here's the thing.

You don't like it? That's fine.

They don't like it? That's fine too.

Does that matter to the millions and millions of people who like it?

No, it doesn't.

You've set your standard too high and seem to expect everyone else to be at you're level.

They're not, and they don't have to be.

That's why they can enjoy a movie for what it is, and not pick out every single detail.

Hell, my standards were a lot higher for this movie than for Part 1, and I still loved it. It was probably because I did read the book and know that the ending for it was even more underwhelming.

All in all, this was a great movie and it was actually able to renew some of love for the series.
 
Here's the thing.

You don't like it? That's fine.

They don't like it? That's fine too.

Does that matter to the millions and millions of people who like it?

No, it doesn't.

You've set your standard too high and seem to expect everyone else to be at you're level.

They're not, and they don't have to be.

That's why they can enjoy a movie for what it is, and not pick out every single detail.

... you do know that this is a movie discussion thread, right? And that people are here to dicuss whether and what they liked about the movie, and not just heap empty praise on it because they are fans of the series? You're acting like a child with hurt feelings right now. What the hell does it even mean for me to "expect everyone else to be at my level"? I just expected the movie to be at a certain level and it wasn't, but instead of listening to and considering the criticisms I'm offering you're just covering your ears and humming because you don't want to hear someone disparage something you like. Grow up, for chrissakes. People are going to be critical at times of things you like and if that offends you then you're not gonna make it in this world.

In case you ride the short bus to school, that Scientific Monthly gag was just a joke, meant to illustrate the point that you felt so slighted by my initial review that you had to point out that it was just one person's opinion, when that's obviously what any review is. I made the joke just to deflect strife so that I wouldn't have to sit here and explain to you like a chimpanzee what an opinion is and why everyone has a right to one, but since you didn't get it I'm going to start talking to you "on you're level."

I'm not a movie critic. I didn't go see Harry Potter so that I could submit a scathing review that scrutinizes every facet of production to some editor to gain exposure in a major publication. I went to see it as a casual fan and as a film enthusiast, which means that I guarantee I know more about movies and what they should accomplish and the techniques they should use to do so than you, and just because the pages of the books aren't stuck together with my semen doesn't mean that I'm just being hateful or that my views are invalid. Deal with it.
 
Here's the thing.

You don't like it? That's fine.

They don't like it? That's fine too.

Does that matter to the millions and millions of people who like it?

No, it doesn't.

You've set your standard too high and seem to expect everyone else to be at you're level.

They're not, and they don't have to be.

That's why they can enjoy a movie for what it is, and not pick out every single detail.

I swear you and the people in the TF3 thread really need to get a clue. These threads are for the DISCUSSION of the movies. If you want a thread where it's just "THiS MOVIE ROCKS MY BALLS OFF" you should make that thread. Have it be like "HP7. Only post to this thread if you loved the movie: NO BAD TALKIE".


On topic. I saw this movie. It was a festering pile of crap. Just like every HP movie since the 3rd. HP1 and 2 as movies were very good. Really faithful to the books, and good movies all around. HP3-current as movies were just awful.
 
I will say that I really liked Half Blood Prince. That was when I felt the filmmakers did the best job of setting up for the conclusion and making all the pieces of what would be the climax of the battle of Hogwarts and the Death Eaters (not just Harry/Voldemort) come together. I remember being emotionally pulled into the sixth film because the atmosphere and sense of impending crisis it created was so masterful. Just didn't get that from the two latest films.
 
Funny enough, I can't stand The Half-Blood Prince movie. Watching it has been the only time in which I almost fell asleep at a movie theater. The only reason I woke up was thanks to that strategically timed explosion half way through the films which never existed in the book :laugh:
 
Here's my 2 cents, now that I've finally seen it.

Things were going fine, even with a few flaws here and there that could be forgiven... until Harry slipped out of Hagrid's arms. It all went downhill from there.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top