Guess who wants to do the Buck Rogers movie

  • Thread starter Thread starter scikaiju
  • Start date Start date
Sin City and 300? :sly:

300 Was mainly Snyder's work. Frank Miller just made the comic book.

Frank Miller isn't necessarily a "bad man" but everything he touches turns grimdark and can take billions of bullets without even slowing down for a breather. Buck Rodgers isn't something that should be turned uber violent and grim for a full on reboot movie, thats just not in the spirit of Buck Rodgers.
 
It's to bad they wouldn't remake buck rogers like they did Flash Gordon in 1980. That movie along with Queens music ROCKED. I like Sin City and 300, but I just can't see Buck Rogers going that direction. If Miller does it that way, then no way. But if he does it with respect to the original, then sure make it.
 
I read an article about this in my newspaper this morning on the way home from work and I like the darker feel this movie is set to have. I'm definatley going to check it out.
 
Dunno... Spirit movie looks good to me.

And so long as the source material isn't wiped from time/space by some cosmic forge, as far as I know it's still there for anyone to read if they wanna.

the problem is that the Spirt Comics have never really gone THAT dark, the Spirit's a pretty goofy character who happens to be a detective and such. Frank Miller's got him running around taking bullets to the chest, fighting the Octopus who went from being a master of disguise to being unbelievably trigger happy and saying ridiculous lines such as: "I'm gonna get el spirito dead while I still can"

WTF?!?!

miller claims that this movie is a tribute to the spirit, but the look and feel of the movie is nothing like the original comics. It seems more like a reimagining if anything
 
Buck Rogers wasn't meant to be dark and gritty, IMO. The 70's TV series captured the concept perfectly and I don't give a damn if it's supposedly outdated. It doesn't need the 300/Sin City/Spirit treatment.
 
Since when did Buck Rogers become such a guarded property and since when was Frank Miller's involvement in something a bad thing?

Because not everything needs to be grimdark to be valid? Because "**** the original" isn't always the answer? It's not even a good answer most of time.

..and because seeing a cool, well made Buck Rogers movie would be rather awesome but you're not going to get that with Miller because he'll just do what he always does. Take something fun and grimdark the goddamn **** out of it to the point of total wretched absurdity.

When what would be called for is a modern sci-fi adventure movie that honors its roots and makes it a blast for both people coming into it new and people who are familiar with the character through his old comics and matinee serials.
 
Last edited:
Here's the thing, Keith: not everything needs to be reimagined as a variation on Sin City. The Spirit certainly didn't need to be, and Buck Rogers certainly doesn't need to be. The movie The Spirit will doubtless be chock full of badassery, but it's not going to be Eisner's Spirit, and Eisner's Spirit deserves a lot more respect than Miller is giving it.

Frank Miller's Buck Rogers would go something like this:

AERIAL VIEW OF A FUTURISTIC CITY IN BLACK AND WHITE BUT MOSTLY GREY. IT IS RAINING, BECAUSE, COME ON, WHEN IS IT NOT EVER RAINING?

BUCK (voiceover): The future. The future is my whore.

SLOW ZOOM IN ON BUCK ROGERS, STANDING ON A ROOFTOP. EVERYONE ALWAYS STANDS ON ROOFTOPS.

BUCK (voiceover): The future is my mother and my whore all at the same time.

FAST ZOOM INTO A FULL BODY SHOT OF BUCK, BACKLIT AGAINST THE RAIN. HE IS A BLACK PROFILE EXCEPT FOR THE ANTENNA ON HIS HELMET, WHICH IS GLOWING RED.

BUCK (voiceover): There are some people who say I've got woman issues, but there's no law against fucking a whore. Who is also your mother. Not in the future. Not in *my* future.

CLOSE SHOT OF BUCK'S EYES AS HE SCANS THE STREETS BELOW.

BUCK (voiceover): And make no mistake, this is *my* future. But somewhere, there is crime. Crime against whores. Crime against mothers.

REVERSE SHOT, BUCK IN PROFILE AGAINST THE GRIM, GREY, GRITTY ALLEYS OF THE FUTURE.

Buck (voiceover): And I will **** that crime. I mean those whores. I mean my mother. I MEAN, I will stop that crime. Why? Because I'm motherfucking Buck Rogers.

HE LEAPS DOWN TEN STORIES, LANDING IN A CROUCH AND CRACKING THE PAVEMENT AS HE LANDS. OH, WHOOPS, HE'D PROBABLY HAVE A JETPACK OR SOMETHING, WOULDN'T HE. OH WELL, NOT USING IT JUST MAKES HIM MORE BADASS.

Buck (voiceover): And this is my future. Did I mention that?
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top