groundbreaking seasons of the Super Sentai franchise

I believe Zyuranger started the mech pile-up trend with Ultimate DaiJyuJin. Then Dairanger had the Heavy Armor Ki Palace, which only have like one attack(a hilariously awesome one at that). Then again, Ultimate DaiJyuJin itself just Grand Banisher everything.

I myself don't mind the combination mechs. And I actually quite like most of them. Samurai Ha-Oh is the only one that didn't jive with me because it's too much of a parts mess, though I like the way it was handled(who needs mobility when you have a giant god laser).

And I love the G-12. I think it looks great, and again, it's only good for one thing; running over the giant monster to its death with G-12 Grand Prix. But it's the only thing it needs to do.
 
Last edited:
So I've been thinking of the status of Jetman as a groundbreaking season or not. I saw some people mention the idea that it was groundbreaking because of "the romance". I disagree with that, however -- not necessarily because it was done before, but more because... well, sentai just never really went there again. At the least, romances are still mainly treated as secondary character beats, and series that contain running romance plots are really more the exception -- or at least, not prevelent enough to be called "the rule".

But I do think there's a way in which Jetman is a groundbreaking season: the pioneering of the "misfit team".

It seems to me that prior to Jetman, while teams may have had their problems, our heroes were still generally portrayed as fully trained and deserving of their status. I'm not extremely well-versed in 80s sentai, so someone more knowledgeable may correct me on this, but I take Turboranger as sort of a bellwether -- Turboranger is a series about high school students who are chosen more or less out of the blue. You might expect that the series would use this opportunity to portray a team that was unready, underqualified, or unwilling -- and yet, the series never really goes there. To the contrary, from day one, they're assured that (being young) they're the absolute best ones for the job; they accept this unconditionally, and throughout the series the Turborangers themselves are never really portrayed as anything less than hyper-competent and worthy of their responsibility.

You go forward to Jetman, and suddenly... these guys aren't supposed to be here. They don't want to be there. Kaori accepts because she's shallow and bored, Ako has to be bribed into it, Raita has to be coerced, and Gai, well, we all know how that goes. Even Ryuu, who is in some ways the archetypical square-jawed Red, is damaged to the point where we sometimes wonder if he should really be the guy at the helm. From day one, the team is just not great at this; even they are not convinced they should be doing this. But they try. And the overall arc of Jetman is about watching the whole team (particularly Gai) slowly find a way to suck it up and do the thing that only they can do.

I feel like this is the part of Jetman that really sparked something with Inoue's fellow creators. Most tellingly, its impact was almost immediate -- if you put Zyuranger and Ohranger aside, you then have the entire 90s and well into the 00s (though I haven't seen Gaoranger -- what's its deal in that regard?) acting as a cavalcade of teams that are misfits in some respect or other. Even your "destined" teams, like Kakuranger, go out of their way to play up the idea that these guys are in some way undesirable or out of their depth. Or, in cases where you do have a proper, experienced team, it's almost always counterpointed by a Red who himself is inexperienced or in some way less than ideal.

Jetman was considered controversial at the time for choosing to focus on the adult audience at the expense of what kids might find interesting, hence the almost immediate reversal of trend with Zyuranger. But the "misfit team" survived, I think, because it opens sentai up to a greater variety of character-based stories while still maintaining sentai's kid-friendly aura. Kids can relate to these teams, after all, because kids themselves are kind of misfits -- they're inexperienced, they don't always do what they're told, and people underestimate their abilities constantly... but presented with the opportunity, they can all grow into true heroes -- that is, if they want to be like their favorite sentai team, at least.
 
If we go as a whole:

Goranger- First Sentai and a Roger Moore/Connery Bond sort of feel. Also has the most episodes and films of any Super Sentai.

JAKQ: last of the Ishinomori era and the least amount of episodes. First and only sentai to have cyborgs as the heroes.

Battle Fever J: First to have a giant robot, and the only one to have an international team where they all were Japanese.

Denjiman: First transforming robot, a return back to color coded suits, and first series to have black visors which will become the norm for the next 33 years.

Sun Vulcan: first combining robot, the first and only three team member sentai, and the only male exclusive team.

Goggle Five: First multi-colored combining giant robot, though only the male primary colored members participate. It won't be until Dynaman where they are all in separate mechs.

Dynaman: Nothing really new or unique.

Bioman-Flashman: the first and last of this trilogy of series have the first female Yellow members, a return of the flying mecha base to dispatch the robots. Changeman is the first to deal with a military and mythology theme, though both would be dealt with later on via Jetman and Ohranger and Dairanger, Zyuranger and Turboranger. Changeman is the first sentai until Kyoryuger to not have a Yellow member, and the first white member. First extraterrestrial sentai team that does no stay on Earth.

Bioman is the most widely seen Sentai outside Japan, and the last in the Philippines to get an English dub. also the first to be considered as a proto Power Rangers.

Generally went by a hardcore science fiction mythos [Bioman/Flashman] which revolved around superpowered descendants fighting an evil empire set out to kill them. Bioman is the first Sentai retread in powers, theme and story.

Maskman-First individual pieced five part robot that will also become the staple. First team to have a black member. First sentai to have a second robot to replace Great Five. First sixth hero.

Liveman: First blue female, first sentai since Dynaman to have one female member, who continues until Fiveman. First sentai team to have a black and green member. First major two robots that combine later on rather than initially. First animal themed sentai. Return of the robot and I guess the last one for a while.

Turboranger: first car themed sentai with magic as well, with sentai members being from high school. Also the first cluster fort robot that starts the trend.

Fiveman: First sibling sentai and first where they are all teachers.

Jetman: First multipart robot since Jetman , though separate themed robot without a senshi. A misfit sentai with the only romance triangle used as a major component of the story. Last Super Sentai to air in the Western world other than Dairanger before Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

Zyuranger: first Dinosaur themed Sentai, revolved around a heaviy fantasy motif, and the story has much of a retread of the anime Golion as well as its design. The most popular Sentai in modern times that is the first Power Rangers series. First returning sixth and first death of an extra.

Dairanger: second series to use a martial arts motif and the first to use a Chinese motif until Gekiranger. The last sentai which isn't really seen suit wise in MMPR other than Kibaranger.

Kakuranger: first ninja sentai, the first to lack a Pink member and the first to have three sets of giant robots. Also the first where the sentai turns into their mechs, which are the first singular human shaped robots. Also, the first non-combining set of mecha. ONly used for Alien Rangers and the acquisition of the zords are reversed.

Ohranger: first sentai to have a military motif since Changeman, to be darker, and the second to focus on ancient civilizations. A mix of Google Five, JAKQ...and the first crossover film with its previous iteration. Goranger and JAKQ are made apart of the franchise, which is called Super Sentai from now on. Nullifies Turboranger's tenth anniversary.

Carranger: First parody sentai series and the second car motif. Signalman is the first non sentai warrior.

Megaranger: first cyberspace sentai and first silver member. Continues trend of second robot set.

Gingaman: First sentai with the -man suffix since Jetman and the last one as well. First living mechs and a first non sentai warrior that turns into non-combining mech [Goseiknight is a combining member] .First two combining robots that have nothing to do with individual power ups and retread of the Sun Vulcan mech base via the Shark zord. First shark zord.

GoGoFive: First non faceplate helmets, second sibling team and first three sets of robots. First train robot that contains the initial mechs and combines ,and first power up from a crossover. First sentai where its demon villaisn are brought to Power Rangers directly.

Timeranger: first time travelling sentai, first to have jets and the second sixth and first extra senshi to be a sibling to the main Red to also be a shade of red darker from the main. First extra robot to be a dinosaur to transform on its own warrior mode.

Gaoranger: First many mech series without rangers for each one. Evil sixth that was a villain.

Hurricanger: second ninja sentai, Liveman characteristics, a cluster robot. Sixth is dead and in a morpher where past actor members are possessed. So, first sentai senshi to possess the host body. First mech with multiple weapons in balls.

Abaranger: Gao's many mechs with a dino theme, and a first sentai to have only four initial members and a fifth being evil all the through. First to also have Red being a father figure while Black's family are made evil.

Dekaranger: first space police theme, a throwback to Gavan in main robot. First nonhuman member since JAKQ and the first to have ten senshi, which is overcome by Kyoryuger. Kinda like a cop drama.

Magiranger: First magic themed sentai and third sibling team, thoguh first where parents are good and evil respectively. Extra has a train robot of his own while Red can combine into father's mech. Last toku appearance by Machiko Soga.

Boukenger: Gao's dynamic with an advenure/achaeology theme. First extra to be a werewolf like creature thingy and the first I believe to have own combining robot in Siren Builder. More Cluster robots and a large base third robot.

Gekiranger: Chinese martial arts, animal mentors, wild man Red, and maybe Violet is werewolf? First enemy warriors since Abarekiller to die, but nonetheless team up with heroes. Also first since Kakuranger where the senshi use their powers to manifest their robots in an energy.

Go-Onger: a parody I cannot understand and more clusters.

Shinkenger: first Samurai themed sentai, first female Red.

Goseiger. Angelz arrz alien fur realzzies.
 
For starters, this is purely subjective. Personally I think Boukenger is a brilliant Sentai series with great characterisations of each of the heroes that truly makes you care about the characters (unlike say, Goseiger, which should have been more appropriately named "Douchebagger"); Go-Onger walks a brilliant line between having a credible plot and being a Sentai parody at the same time (by your logic here, Akibaranger is a complete train wreck of a series).

Furthermore, Boukenger was the first series to have a 10-mecha-fusion, while Go-Onger topped that by being the first to go with a 12-mecha-fusion. So let's stop pretending that just because you personally dislike them that they've brought nothing new to the franchise.

Yes I know that it is subjective, which is why I said that they are the shows that come to MY mind.

I do not agree with your statement on Goseiger being d-bags.

You've completely misunderstood what my logic is. I said I dislike Go-onger because I think it's a badly written comedy. Whereas I find shows like Carranger and Akibaranger to both be brilliantly written.

I am not pretending that they did nothing new in the franchise. When I think of groundbreaking, I am thinking of breakthroughs in terms of storytelling, characterization, imagination, concepts, and execution. A multi-fusion robot has already been done several times in sentai prior to Boukenger. Slapping on a couple more extra pieces to a robot is hardly groundbreaking. And I am not saying that they aren't groundbreaking because I dislike them. Quite the opposite. I dislike them because I found them to bring nothing new to the franchise, aside from just being an excruciating experience to watch through them. If you love those shows, then that's fine. I still stand by my point.
 
Difference is that the people who work(ed) on Akibaranger actually seem to know how to be funny while Go-Onger couldn't quite piece it together and failed imo.

That's most probably because Go-onger was aimed at the typical Sentai audience, young Japanese boys, where as Akibaranger is meant and written for the type of people who visit these forums.
 
I believe Go-Onger's biggest sin is talking down to its primary audience. Zyuranger was similarly focused on the main demographic, but it never talk down to the kids, or dumb itself down to try to appeal to them.
 
Dynaman: Nothing really new or unique.

It was the first sentai series to use spandex. :P

First team to have a black member.

I thought that either Battle Fever J was the first to have a black sentai senshi color with Battle Kenya, or Goggle V with Goggle Black.

Plus you forgot about Gokaiger, Go-Busters & Kyoryuger.
 
It was the first sentai series to use spandex. :P



I thought that either Battle Fever J was the first to have a black sentai senshi color with Battle Kenya, or Goggle V with Goggle Black.

Plus you forgot about Gokaiger, Go-Busters & Kyoryuger.

Bioman was.

And BFJ's Battle Kenya is Orange, plus the others got two color palettes as well , so its erroneous to say that Japan is the first white senshi or that Kenya is black color.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top