S

scikaiju

Galactic Sheriff 1

It was a quiet night just like every other night. Right until something crashed through a brick wall of an old building. Pulling himself out of the rubble a man wearing a armor of a gray metallic color watched the hole he just made. Following him out was a being from another world that seemed to have muscle on top of muscle. It saw him and roared. “I heard you the first time,†the helmet around his head distorted his voice slightly.

“I told you not to take the Herculean head on,†chided a female voice coming from the keypad on his left arm.

“Bitch at me later,†he said returning his attention. He kicked down more of the wall as he came toward him. “Do they have to term ‘over kill’ where you come from?â€

“Sheriff no take,†the Herculean grunted. “Gord kill Sheriff.â€

“I’m going to take that as a no,†the armored Sheriff told him. “And the whole killing thing is what got you in this mess to begin with.â€

“Herculeans are not known for their reasoning skills,†the voice told him as he dodged a sledge hammer like blow coming at him.

“Figured that one out on my own, thank.†He tried a punch of his own that barely phased his target. In fact he looked angrier, “Oh that’s not fair.â€

“Gord crack armor and squish soft inside,†he boasted. The armored man was starting to think he could do it. The armored warrior barely had time to react as the Herculean was as fast as he was strong. The Sheriff tried to get in a few hit as he tried to avoid those hammer like fist. He got in two when that massive hand grabbed him by the neck. “Gord kill!â€, and threw him through the wall and back into the building.

“The armor is damaged,†the voice exclaimed.

“I see it in the heads up,†he grunted. “I’m bringing out the hardware.†Touching the two on the keypad an electronic voice stated –DOUBLE GUN- . Reaching back to the pack on his back the lower section on each side opened up and two futuristic guns slide into his hands. Non lethal target points appeared in front of his eyes on the visor as he brought the foreword and hit the two slide switches on the back of each gun -RAPID FIRE-. Confirming the target locks he pulled the triggers, “Eat this.â€

“Rargh!â€, Gord cried out in pain as each energized shot zeroed in on the locks. He backed up a bit but the shots just kept coming. He went to a knee as it gave out on him. “Gord…!â€

“Smash kill I heard you the first time.†He stopped firing just long enough to hit the slide switches again. –CAPTURE-. Pulling the triggers again energy bands flew out of the barrels and wrapped themselves around the Herculean. Usually two or three were enough but I looked like he was about to break free. He kept firing until the bands practically covered him. “Bagged him,†he said out loud.

The Herculean was still struggling to free himself as he walked toward him. “Gord kill Sheriff!â€

“Would you shut up,†he fired another energy band around his mouth to quiet him. Gord screams of protest were muffled but they were still coming. Putting the guns back he pulled a chip off of his belt buckle and lapped it on the Herculean’s forehead, “And tagged him.†It started blinking on contact as a few moments later Gord started to shimmer. Before long he was gone completely.

“The target is in stasis,†the voice announced, “and ready for extradition to his home planet for sentencing. That many bands weren’t necessary.â€

“Just trying to be safe like you keep telling me.†He wasn’t sure but he was positive she just snorted in disbelief. “So why wasn’t I given the execution order on this one since this guy has apparently killed a lot of people?â€

“Herculeans do not have the death penalty as part of their judicial system.â€

“You’re kidding,†he said in a disbelief of his own.

“It’ all in the rules and regulations manual you were supposed to have read.â€

“Have you seen the size of that file you sent me?â€, he protested. “I’m still trying to work through the stuff I’m allowed and not allowed to do. I haven’t even touched the sections dealing with other planet’s rules yet. God my life was so much simpler before that first ship landed.â€

“So was mine,†she said before cutting the link. He looked at the keypad on his forearm before walking away.

Light years away on another planet the population was hustling like any other major metropolis. Species of several different worlds walked it’s streets. Like with all things not everything was harmonious. An occasional scuffle broke out here and there. Either someone had a bad day and decided to take it out on somebody else, an old rivalry that refused to die, somebody looked at someone the wrong way. Before it could escalate several individual wearing jackets with a patch indicating the planet were able to calm the situation. Satisfied it was over the rest continued on their way.

In the distance more people and beings wearing those same jackets, although they had different patches indicating the planet they were from, were coming and going from a particular building. The glass like exterior revealed even more of those individuals walking the halls inside. Two in particular were walking toward the medical wing. One who was avian said, “I still say this is inexcusable, a Galactic Sheriff operating with no training what so ever.â€

“It’s happened before,†his cat like companion said. “An emergency situation where a Sheriff was too injured to perform his duties properly. With no partner in place to take over he had to do something.â€

“I am fully aware of the regulations,†he responded with a little attitude. “But a human of all species. Of all the unaware planets in the universe why did the mob have to choose that one?â€

“It fit their criteria,†he answered calmly. “I was far enough away from the known region but close enough that it could be used as a staging ground for their various operations. We’re just lucky we discovered their intentions before they could get too strong of a foothold. And since first contact was made a couple of cycles prior none of the inhabitants would question a few extra ships in the skies.â€

“Emergency landing or not I still say it was too soon for that planet. They weren’t ready.â€

“What done is done,†the cat creature said. “We can’t change the past no matter how hard you try.â€

“Although a redo of a certain situation would be a welcome change,†a human looking being came toward them in an automatic wheelchair. “I see my emergency choice is still some discussion with the higher ups.â€

“No more than usual when this situation happens,†the cat said. The chair turned itself around so he could ravel with them. “How are you doing Orion?â€

“Hopefully ready for duty soon,†the avian said.

“The medics say it will be cycles before I can travel without this chair,†he answered. “Who knows when I’ll be ready to take back the armor.†The avian mumbled something then excused himself. “He’s still unhappy I had to give my armor to a human I see.â€

“He’ll get over it, he know the reason why you were chosen for that assignment was because your specie share a resemblance to the humans. Speaking of how is your replacement handling himself?â€

“Dez sends me an update every so often. She says he’s handling himself well so far. He’s just a little chatty for her taste.â€

“And what is her opinion of him?â€

“She finds him…,†he searched for the right diplomatic word, “interesting.â€

Back on Earth life was going on. Humans and the occasional alien life form walked the streets keeping to themselves. The Bars were active since it was the weekend. One in particular had a group of friends were huddled around an arcade shooter watching one of their own gun down his virtual opponents,. Smiling to himself the blond haired man uttered, “Bagged and tagged.â€

“You always say that,†the man next to him said.

“And you always ***** about it Ryan,†he shot back.

“Hey Steve,†the blond man looked back to see who called out his name. “The food is on the table.â€

“Finally,†one of the others said, “I’m starving.â€

“Here you go man,†Steve aid putting the light gun in Ryan’s hands, “you can finally play a level you haven’t reached yet.â€

“Oh ha-ha,†he said as they left the machine. “Sam come on.â€

A woman with her brown hair tied in a ponytail acknowledged him and headed for their table. When she got there she saw a guy with a red flannel shirt and a ball cap with the visor lowered over his eyes looking like he was sleeping in the chair with his feet on the table. “Shoes on the floor Alex,†she said hitting his leg.

“Huh?â€, he lazily said. Looking up he resembled her a bit. Stretching a bit he got up and announced, “I’m going to hit the head.â€

After he left Ryan snorted, “Yeah he’s probably hitting something back there.â€

“Would you quit it,†Sam said sounding annoyed.

“Yeah man lay off of him,†Steve added. “He’s going through a rough spot right now. He doesn’t need any more flack from his friends.â€

“Oh yeah a rough spot, he lost his job for suddenly being unreliable, he keeps to himself a lot now and yet still has money. I’m telling you he’s dealing something.â€

“You have no proof of that,†Steve argued. “It’s about as crazy as your theory I’m that armored guy running around.â€

“Why are you defending Alex?â€, Ryan asked. “I can see why Sam’s doing it that’s her brother. But you?â€

“For one I’ve known him since grade school, in fact all three of us met in grade school. Second of all as well as we know him Sam’s known him longer. And we all know that if he was on something she would have busted him on it long ago. If she says he’s clean than that’s good enough for me. It what every good cop does, following the facts.â€

“More like trying to get in her pants,†he muttered. Neither of them bothered to dignify that with a response. “Beside let’s see how high and mighty you are once I can prove you’re that armored guy,†Ryan added grabbing a slice of pizza. “I’ll be in the freaking money.â€

“You would sell out your own friend?â€, Steve asked.

“Hey you’re my bro and all but I have bills to pay.â€

“Why do we keep hanging around him again?â€, Sam asked Steve.

“I got no idea.â€

Alex sat back at the table still looking sleepy, “What did I miss?â€

“Life outside that haze you’re in,†Ryan mumbled.

“Stop it,†am said through her teeth, Alex didn’t look fazed.

“All after those aliens arrived,†Ryan continued.

“Let’s face it,†Steve spoke up, “everything changed when the aliens landed. And not always for the better. We’re just handling things the bet ways we can. Not how about we just eat befor the food gets cold.â€

Above the Earth a small orbital station invisible to current Terran technology stayed on it’s path like a silent sentry. Inside a human looking female sat inside a semicircle of control and monitors. On the side of her head a device with blinking lights connected her to the system’s computer allowing her to monitor more than one thing at once. The source of an incoming transmission made her green eyes twinkle as she faced the space behind her. A holographic image of Orion appeared as she stood up, “I was expecting a communication so soon.â€

“I know but I was curious about how you’re doing,†his image said. “I’ve read report after my report about my replacement but nothing on you.â€

“I am a professional Orion,†she said stiffening a little.

“I know you are Dez, but I’ve also known you for a couple of mecacycles now.â€

“It’s been frustrating,†she admitted. “I know he’s been thrown into a situation beyond his understanding but his inexperience is grating.â€

“I’ve seem to remember having a similar reaction being set up with a monitor right out of the academy,†he said with a knowing grin. Dez looked away blushing slightly. “And I’m sure the Sheriff I was originally partnered with felt the same about me when I started. We needed time Dez to get to where we are now. You just need to be patient, especially since you’re going to be his monitor for the immediate future.â€

Feeling a little sad she went, “Still no word on when you’ll be able to continue your duties?â€

“The medics gave me a general timeline but they were reluctant to even do that.â€

Staring to say something she tilted her head slightly as her eyes stared going back and forth. Temporarily forgetting her conversation she turned back around to the control and pulled up the information she was receiving through the device. “There’s a disturbance planet side.†Using her system to hack into the Earth systems she soon pinpointed the location and it’s cause, “It’s another Herculean.†Locating Orion’s replacement she was somewhat surprised how close they were. “Contacting Galactic Sheriff 2127.â€

Walking out of the bar the group of friends laughed at one of Sam’s stories. Although Ryan shot a look at her brother as he kept on walking past them and toward the cars. One look from her and Steve and he kept his comment to himself. Steve cell phone went off and he looked dismayed as he checked the ID. “Excuse me a sec guys. I told you not to call me unless you had to.†He walked away as Ryan looked intrigued.

“You think he’s going to disappear and armor up?â€

“Alright I just have to know,†Sam said, “why do you think he’s that armor guy?â€

“Well for one he’s never around when he shows up.â€

“That’s it,†she said after he didn’t continue. “You’re never around when that armored guys shows up either,†she shot back. “How do I know you’re not pointing the finger toward him to take the attention off of you?â€

“Now that’s just stupid,†he said a moment before the shouting started. People started running down the street as something that looked like it used to be a mailbox flew over their heads. Both of them looked up to see Steve was nowhere to be seen. Ryan looked like he just won the argument before they ran for their cars.

Sam looked at an abandoned ball cap on the ground by her’s, “Where’s Alex?â€

“He probably sobered up enough to get the hell out of here,†Ryan told her.â€We better do the same.†Jumping into his car and drove away as fast as he could. Sam knew she should do the same but she had to find her brother first.

An even bigger Herculean held a car over his head and threw it into the side of an apartment building. People ran screaming as he roared. As one group ran past an alley Alex peek his head out to make sure nobody else was around. Stepping into the street he headed for the Herculean rolling up the left sleeve of his flannel shirt. Reaching into a pocket he pulled out a keypad that he flipped open and slapped on his forearm. Four flaps came out and connected the device to his skin. Standing a few yards away from the Herculean and shouted, “Hey!†It stopped and looked at him. Standround Alex continued, “You are in direct violation of interstellar regulation… interstellar regulation…uh…†Drawing a blank he looked at the keypad, “A little help.â€

Dez replied, “Interstellar regulation twenty seven. Causing havoc on a newly initiated world.â€

“Right what she said,†Alex spoke back up. “Now you can come quietly or I can detain you by force.†The Herculean responded by pulling a lamppost out of the ground and brandishing it as a weapon. “Looks like it’s going to be by force. Dez I’m powering up the suit.â€

“I agree,†she replied.

“All right then.†Holding the keypad in front of him he punched in the activation code -5-7-1-6- and hit the enter key. “Online!†punching his left hand foreword he was covered in light for the briefest of seconds that faded away to reveal the armor.

A little further back Sam found her brother, relieved and confused as she watched what was happening, “Alex?â€

Hearing his sister he looked back, “Sam.â€

-----
ED – Divide the Day – Let it Roll
-----

S

scikaiju

Holding his left arm in front of Alex quickly punched in the activation code on the keypad attached to his forearm -5-7-1-6- and pressed the enter key. Punching his left arm forward he said, “On…,†and in the space between seconds the device reacted. The flaps extended out encasing his forearm. More plating covered his hand. Armor ran up his arm and covered his chest and right arm before covering his lower body. Running up his neck a helmet covered his head completely, eyes glowing behind the visor, “…line!â€

“Alex?†Looking back in surprised he saw his twin sister staring at him in disbelief.

“Sam,†he was stunned, he didn’t want her finding out like this. The Herculean roared and charged holding the lamppost over his head refocusing him on the task at hand. Waiting until the last second to jump out of the way his finger found the three key on the pad. –SWORD-. A handle popped out of the top of the pack on his back, grabbing it he held it out to his side. Liquid metal quickly poured out as the nanotechnology inside made it stiffen and form a blade. Alex used the side of the blade to block the next blow, almost going to a knee from the brute force alone.

“Kill Sheriff,†the Herculean grunted.

“Again with the killing,†he strained as he forced the lamppost to the side. “You guys are like a broken record or something.†Backing up to get some room he watched as the Herculean brought the post back up for another swing. Slashing his blade twice he cut the post into three pieces. Enraged the Herculean threw the piece in his hand at him. Avoiding it Alex didn’t expect the alien to rush at him full force. A shoulder right in his chest sent him flying and crashing into a parked car. It’s alarm went off as he peeled himself free, “I felt that one.â€

“The armor can’t take many more hits like that,†Dez informed him.

“I think saying ‘I felt that one’ covered that.†The Herculean stalked him. Doing a quick scan of the area he hit the four key -DISC-. A silver disc slide out of the lower part of the pack. Grabbing it several blinking lights on it came to life as the armor calculated the proper flight path as he threw it. The edges started glowing as it flew, turning on it’s side to cut threw a lamppost directly over the Herculean. He roared in protest as it hit him on the head, giving Alex enough time to hit the five key –CANNON-. Holding his arms out it materialized over his right shoulder. Right hand going to the grip and his left went forward and held the trigger.

“Smash Sheriff!â€

“Keep telling yourself that.†The targeting scanner on the cannon got a lock. Manipulating a control with his right hand a tri-cylinder chamber inside spun slightly –NET-. “Fire in the hole!†A bolt of energy shot out that quickly expanded into an energy net that wrapped around the Herculean. Struggling to free himself he fell to the ground totally immobilized. “I should have done that with the first one.†The cannon dematerialized as he ran over and slapped another transport chip on the Herculean. While he disappeared he looked for Sam and didn’t see her, a scan didn’t even pick he up. “Dez I might have an issue.â€

“I heard,†she replied. “How well do you know this Sam person? Is he going to be a problem?â€

“Not a he Dez, she. Short for Samantha, my sister.†For the first time since he’s known her Dez was at a loss for words.

It had been three days since she discovered her brother was the armored guy on the news. Alex had tried calling her but she ignored it. She saw him on the street and she went the other way. She did not know how to handle this. God help her she had an easier time dealing with the idea he was an addict or something. At least that something she could at least get her head around. As it was she stood in front of his apartment building for the god only know how many times since then. Before she would stand there and loose her nerve, but she couldn’t avoid the situation forever.

Walking up to the front door she looked for the label that said A. Brennen and hit the button. Part of her was hoping he wasn’t home before she heard, “Hello?â€

“It’s me,†she said. The door buzzed bad she quickly went in. Slowly she made her way to his apartment. Like always his door was ajar for her. For the first time ever she reluctantly went in. Inside she saw her brother look as unsure as she felt. Both of them stood there not sure what to say to the other. “How long have you been…?â€

“A couple of months,†he answered.

“A couple of months?â€, she repeated. “You’ve been that guy for a couple of months and you didn’t tell me?â€

“I wanted to,†he told her. “I… I just couldn’t figure out how. The only times I’ve seen you lately we’ve been in a group. I could never get you alone. I couldn’t blurt it out then, I have people trying to sue for crap that happened before I even got the suit. And I definitely wasn’t saying anything with Ryan around.â€

“All right then, why the act? Why make everybody think you were on drugs or something?â€, she demanded.

“I never made people think I was on drugs,†he shot back. Running his hands over his head he sat down. A little more subdued he continued, “I get called away to track down criminals a lot. When I lost my job because of it and started disappearing pretty regularly people just started assuming. I just went with it.â€

“So it was easier to go with a lie than to confide in me?†That hurt more than finding out he was keeping this from her to begin with. And seeing how Alex wouldn’t look at her he knew that too. Sitting down after a long uncomfortable silence she sat down and asked, “Have you… have you killed anybody?â€

Looking reluctant to answer he eventually admitted, “When there was an execution order attached to their file.â€

“Do you feel guilty about it? Happy?†God she wouldn’t know what to think he felt happy. Why did he even ask that?â€

“Not happy, never happy. Guilty, sometimes then I read what they been convicted of in their files. The guilt goes away a little after that.â€

“Files? Who sends you their files?â€

“Maybe she better explain that.†Before she could ask what he was talking about Alex looked at the wall, “Dez.â€

Sam jumped out of the chair as part of the wall slid away revealing a computer of some sort, In the next moment a woman appeared out of the air, it took Sam a moment to realize there was something on the side of her head. “Holy ****.â€

“Sam this is Dez,†Alex said standing by the woman, “or an image of her.†After a moment he leaned in and whispered, “Don’t stare at the implant. She hates that.â€

“Greetings,†Dez said ignoring Alex. “I am Alex’s Watcher, temporarily of course, while he fills in for the armor’s original operator. I monitor things from orbit and inform Alex of situations that may require his attention and supply him with any information on the suspect I have access to in my computers.â€

“So… she gave you the armor?â€

“Not exactly,†Alex told her. “The original owner, Orion, gave it to me while he heals up.â€

“Ok, that’s twice you two mentioned you’re replacing somebody. What happened to him?â€

“Orion’s armor took a critical hit and was too injured to continue,†Dez explained.

“And I was at the wrong place at the wrong time,†Alex added.

Oh he just had to take a short cut to get home didn’t he, tonight of all nights. If he wasn’t running late he never would have taken it. The thunderstorm was bad enough. Then the explosion happened. Skidding to a stop he saw that armored guy on the news and some alien go at it. “I’m out of here,†he said but the car wouldn’t move. “Of come on!†A stray shot came way too close for comfort so he got out of the car and ran for cover. Taking refuge inside an old building he tried to wait out the fight. After a few moments he thought he was safe, then something came crashing through the wall, “Shit.â€

“Ugh,†the armored guy grunted as he stood up. His armor sparked slightly and smoked in places.

“Orion the armor is critical,†a voice said. “You need to get out of there now.â€

“The mission isn’t over yet.†He turned his head and looked right at Alex. “What are you…?†His sentence ended there, a energy shot through the armor. Alex’s eyes followed the shot, some kind of metal spear was now embedded in the wall dripping some sort of black substance. That same substance was coming from the new holes in the armor. His legs gave out on him and he dropped to the floor. The armor sparked some more before disappearing. Alex was surprised at how human he looked.

“Orion! Orion! The armor just entered repair mode. Orion answer me!â€

“Legs…,†he said weakly, “can’t … feel… my legs.â€

“Oh Sheriff,†a new voice called out. “Come on out, I have a reputation to maintain. I need confirmation that I’ve killed you to still be perfect.â€

Alex watched the injured man try and drag himself out of there. Not sure what the hell he was thinking he ran in and dragged him to cover. Going behind some crates Alex could see a green scaly figure walk in through the hole, a strange looking rifle on his back, locate the spike and pry it out of the wall. How long before he noticed the blood and them? “That was stupid Earthling,†he grunted.

“Don’t remind me,†he said trying not to be heard. The alien sniffed the blood on the spike before sniffing he air. “We’re going to die aren’t we?â€

“More than likely,†he said. They guy looked at him with a weird look than at the device on his forearm, “Dez, armor status.â€

“I’m pushing the repair program as fast as it will go. It’s less than fifteen percent, and an extremely loose less than as it is.â€

“It’ll have to do. Dez I’m… ugh…. initiating Protocol Gamma.â€

“What? You can’t…â€

“No choice. Do it Dez, that’s an order.â€

There was an audible sigh before she said, “I’m disengaging the DNA lock.†The device on his forearm blinked and beeped softly for several moments. Alex quickly looked over the crates to see ifthe other alien heard them. He didn’t act like he did, Taking the device off his arm Orion placed it on Alex’s while he was distracted with the alien.

“What?â€, he said in surprise.

“Five seven one six,†he said, “then activate.â€

“I don’t…â€

“Your only chance to live. Do it.â€

“I got you Orion.†Alex looked back at the alien and saw that he noticed the blood trail. Hosting that rifle into position he came toward their location. “My record is still intact.â€

“Shit,†a shaky finger inputted the numbers and hit what looked like an enter key.

“Online,†Orion said before passing out. Almost instantly the device activated and after a quick glow covered his body and he was in the armor. He couldn’t make sense of the crap running in front of his eyes much less wrap his head around he was in this thing.

“What’s your name?â€,†the voice asked. “What’s your name human?â€

“Alex,†he said.

“Alex I need you to listen to me. Do exactly as I say or both you and Orion are going to die by his hand.†The alien stopped, looking directly where they were and grinned. “You’re at a disadvantage with the armor still damaged. You need to move and get his attention away from Orion. Do it now!â€

Alex saw the alien take aim and ducked as he fired. Not sure what else to do he ran away from Orion. “Got you,†the alien said as he fired again. Those spikes seemed to follow him as they plunged into the wall.†Something’s off,†he said as he stopped firing. “You’re moving differently,†he sniffed the air a bit, “and there’s no fresh scent of blood coming from you.†Alex took some cover behind some barrels and tried to catch his breath. The alien smirked, “Protocol Gamma. “I injured you so severally you had to give your armor to a human. Two for the price of one, I love it.â€

“Who is this guy?â€

“Galgamayde,†the voice said, “one of the top assassins in the universe. Reportedly has a one hundred percent kill rating although that has never been officially confirmed. Protocol Zero has been authorized according to his file.â€

“What Zero?â€

“Execute with extreme prejudice.â€

“I can’t do that!â€

“If you want to survive you’re going to have to.â€

“I hear you.†A spike flew over his head and he ran again. Galgamayde was right on his tail, “You run too easily human, I wanted a challenge before I finished off the wounded Sheriff. I may not try to get a little bonus out of killing you. Heh, of who am I kidding, of course I am.â€

“Hit the one key on the pad.†Doing as he was told he heard an electronic -GUN-. One appeared at his back. “Slid the switch to the first position.†–SINGLE FIRE-. “Now turn and fight.†Doing so some kind of target lock appeared in his visor. He aimed for it and fired. Galgamayde dove out of the way as he continued to fire. “Slide it to the next setting.†–RAPID FIRE-. Galgamayde tried to get out of the way but ended up getting hit. “Press the zero key, hurry!â€

“I don’t think so.†Galgamayde grabbed something off his belt and threw it at him. It exploded before it reached him but it was enough to knock him to the ground. Various warnings went off in the visor as the alien came toward him. “You had some fight in you after all, but not enough. I’ll kill you then I’ll finish off Orion.†Alex struggled to sit up. Then he noticed the barrels he was hiding behind had a flammable symbol on them.

“This better work,†he grunted as he fired. Noting happened at first, the barrels spilled their contents onto Galgamayde. Then a shot hit something just right to cause a spark to set the liquid and Galgamayde on fire. He thrashed around a bit before hitting something and disappearing. “What happened?â€

“He teleported away. I can’t get a lock on him. We’ll have to worry about him later, check on Orion.â€

Alex went back to where he left him. The alien was still there but not looking good. Hovering over him Alex wished he could make sense of these symbols in front of his eyes. “Is he dead?â€

“No,†the voice sounded relieved, “he still alive, just barely though. Alex, on the belt buckle of the armor, there should be a series of chips. Take one out and place it on him.†Doing so he watched in stunned silence as Orion faded away. “I have him in stasis. I’ll be able to arrange transport to get him to a medical center.â€

“What about this thing he put on my arm?â€

“It’s your until he is well enough to take it back.â€

“Now what a minute nobody said anything about that.â€

“Protocol Gamma,†she said. “When a Sheriff is too injured to continue his mission and doesn’t have a partner readily available the armor must be handed off to the first available and suitable candidate. I’m afraid to say you planet is still targeted and needs to be protected.â€

“Then send another one of those Sheriff’s here to take over again.â€

“Orion and I were picked for this mission because we share similar physical traits with your species, inside and out. And it took a long time to pick us out of the Sheriffs patrolling the universe. Even if they did it would take a while for them to get here even on the fastest ship. Your planet isn’t exactly close to the galactic hub.â€

“I can’t do this.â€

“You’re going to have to, I’m sorry. I’m picking up radio chatter for the local authorities. I suggest you get out of there.†She explained how to deactivate the armor as he left the building and ran.

Sam sat there and listened to what they told her, not able to say anything. She looked at Alex, her twin brother, like he was a total stranger. It took her a few seconds to realize he was talking to her. “I have to go,†she said as he reached for her.

“Sam wait.â€

“I need to think,†she told him, “I need to wrap my head around this.â€

Watching her go out the door Alex dropped into a chair and buried his face in his hands. “That was not how I wanted it to go,†he said. “I’ve should have told her sooner.â€

“She’s hurt,†Dez told him.

“Thank you Miss. Obvious.â€

“She’s hurt,†she repeated, “but she is still your family. I have siblings of my own. We didn’t always do things that pleased each other. She will forgive you eventually. As someone just recently told me you just need to give it time.â€

“I hope you’re right Dez.†She nodded and smiled a small smile before the image faded away leaving him alone.â€

Somewhere else a spindly grey creature ran into a large room filled with various creatures, one in particular sitting on a throne like chair in the back of the room. “Sire,†he squeaked. The rotund, almost yellowish creature shifted in his chair to look at him. “The rumors are true. A human is operating Orion’s armor.â€

“I told you!â€, a voice rang out. Everyone turned to see it’s owner, a few parted to let him through. Almost half of his body was covered in whirring mechanical parts, including his face. His scales were a darker green color, lot. The ones edging the mechanical parts were pitch black and cracking. An electronic eye glowed red in anger as Galgamayde stood before the rotund being. “I told you Orion initiated Protocol Gamma.â€

A droid rolled forward as the being spoke, taking a few moments to listen before translating his grunts into words. “I needed more proof than the word of a mortally injured man.†Again the eye glowed red. “I realize you are angry that you lost your perfect record…â€

“This isn’t about my record!â€, he cut him off angrily. “That human did this to me,†and he raised a mechanical hand into his face. “A human! I want my revenge.â€

“Revenge is not how we operate,†the droid for their boss said, “there is no money in it.†Galgamayde hissed and walked out of the room. “You will get a shot at him but only when I say so and when you have cooled down. I want the human studied, locate any image we can get. I want to know how he differs from Orion.â€

“At once sire,†the spindly one said. AS he turned around Galgamayde’s eye flashed again. Oh he would get his revenge on that human. Even if he had to go through that fat slug and everybody else in there first.

-----
-----

S

scikaiju

-----
OP – Downstait – I came to play
-----

Sitting with his feet on the table Alex had his arms crossed and head down. Most of the people in the restaurant pretty much ignored him, a situation he was surprised exactly how fast he got used to. Before the armor was handed to him others had called him a people person. Lately not so much, more by his lake of activity than anything else. And in all honesty not everything he did lately was part of his “actâ€. His tired appearance stemmed from the fact this Sheriff thing wore his ass out. In fact the only keeping him awake at the moment was he was waiting for his food to arrive and somebody was suddenly standing next to him saying, “Feet on the floor Alex.â€

Almost falling out his chair he looked up to see Sam looking at him. She wasn’t looking angry with him, which was a good thing. Then again she didn’t look happy to see him either. She looked indifferent. He would have preferred it if she was angry with him. Getting his feet on the floor he tried not to sound nervous, “Sam.†Despite the fact this was his flesh and blood he found himself checking to see where everybody else in the restaurant was, in case she decided to out him.

She caught the look and told him as she sat down, “People are far enough away that we shouldn’t be overheard.†A waitress walked up and Sam ordered a drink. After she left she continued, “I don’t think Ryan around either so you don’t have to worry about him.â€

“So you’re not going to bust me in front of everybody?â€

“I’m thinking more of Mom and Dad if news about you out got out,†she informed him. “Especially if that story about getting sued is true.â€

“Oh it’s true,†he told her. “I stayed around just a little too long after capturing this one guy and some jackass in a suit tried to serve me a subpoena right then and there.â€

“And it was for something that Orion guy still had the suit.†Alex nodded in response. “Even if it was for the wrong guy that took some balls.â€

“I think he was just nuts. Even after I said ‘Do you see this suit?’ he didn’t budge.†He paused when the waitress brought their order. “Dez gave me an earful about the implied threat. Apparently it’s beneath a Sheriff to do so or something.â€

“I see some things never change,†she said dryly. Alex eyes narrowed a bit, was that a friendly shot on him?

Leaning in he told her, “Look Sam I really wanted to tell you about this. Yeah I could have picked up the phone and said something but what was I supposed to say? Hey sis, do you know that armored guy on the news? Guess what.â€

“Anything would have been better than the way I found out.†One more time things got real quiet between them Alex hated this with a passion, the two of them use to be able to talk about anything. Now this came between them. After awhile she asked, “Are you all right? According to you the armor failed with this Orion guy.â€

“I’m fine Sam,†he assured her. “I’ve been bumped around a lot but I’m fine.â€

“I’m glad to hear that,†she said looking a little relieved. “I don’t know if I’m ready to forgive you completely for keeping me in the dark about this but this is your only secret right? There’s nothing else you’ve been hiding from me?â€

Acting like he was thinking it over Alex said, “I’m secretly planning on taking over the world.â€

“You’ve been doing that since you were six.â€

“Well it takes time.†Sam shook her head but she smiled, not a fake smile either. A truly genuine smile. Alex hoped it was a step in the right direction to getting their relationship close to where it was before.

Light years away smoke seemed to fill the air as the rotund gang leader and his minions watched images of the human pretending to be a Sheriff. A few chuckled as they watched him make a mistake or get caught by something even a rookie wouldn’t do. In a corner Galgamayde’s robotic eye flashed as he watched the flock do so. He had faced the human personally and had the scars to prove it. “Has this punk even zeroed anybody yet?â€, one in particular laughed.

Galgamayde was more than happy to enlighten him, “Several times.â€

“How can you be sure?â€

“I still have contacts on Earth,†he said as his eye flashed. “Magmena disappeared a cycle after the human took possession of the armor and he hasn’t turned up on any of the penal asteroids.â€

“The human probably just got lucky. He ain’t even a real Sheriff.â€

“And that’s what makes him dangerous,†The droid said. Their blubber boss made those sounds that none but the accursed droid could understand. Still the scales over his natural eye arched slightly, he didn’t remember the lard ass speaking before the droid this time around. But he said nothing for the moment. “A trained Sheriff has normal procedures they have to follow, which makes them somewhat predictable. As always when Protocol Gamma is initiated it depends on how much the Monitor can rein them in.â€

“Then we rein him in for this Monitor.†Most of the heads in the room including Galgamayde’s turned to the speaker. A pterodactyl like alien with red leather like skin and wing folded up close to his back walked foreword. He bowed slightly before speaking again, “I’ve dealt with this situation before.â€

“Yes Killspan, I’ve heard stories of these conflicts before,†the droid said for their boss. “But from my understanding those fights took place shortly after Gamma was initiated. It has been two cycles since the human took over.â€

“It adds to the thrill of the hunt,†Killspan responded.

Galgamayde forced his way forward through the crowd, “Killspan isn’t the only one who’s faced a Gamma.â€

“True,†the droid said as their boss continued speaking, “but his judgment isn’t as clouded by revenge as are others I could mention.†Eye flashing in anger he stormed out of the room. “You have my leave my leave Killspan.†Their boss gestured with a wave as he said, “In the tradition of your people may your hunt be glorious.â€

Bowing one more time he responded, “I will be as swift as the wind.†Exiting the chamber he saw Galgamayde still seething. A smug look in his eye he nodded his head in acknowledgment as he passed. Galgamayde’s hand hovered over the grip of his pistol but he kept himself in check. Making an enemy of the boss would not get him closer to that blasted human, not if he had to run from everybody in there. He might find an ally or two but that would be about it. No, he had to bid his time and be patient. But patience had it’s limit and there were few places the bulbous ass could hide once he had enough.

Above the Earth Dez noticed an unidentified object crash into the planet below. A couple of things set off some flags to her. One, as part of standard operating procedure the Watch Station monitored every asteroid and meteorite in sensor range, just for her own safety than anything else. The one that just come in didn’t match any known path projection she had on file. Two, the object had an ion trail. So somebody either put an engine on an asteroid, in which case she should be on the lookout for more just in case, or somebody just tried to sneak past her. Rather badly in her personal opinion. Either way she contacted Alex to investigate the crash site. She monitored other situations waiting for him to call in. “What did you find?â€, she asked when he finally did.

“Not a whole lot, 5-O showed up before I did.†She rolled her eyes, this human and his euphemisms. “But from here it looks like the asteroid split in half.â€

So far it was sounding like this was matching the second option. “Does the object appear hollow? Can you see any signs of a propulsion device?â€

“Not from this angle. Wait,†he paused for a moment, “it looks like one of the cops just put his arm inside. Oh geez,†again he was quiet. Dez briefly wondered what happened before he spoke again. “Cops started looking this way, I had to make sure they didn’t see me.â€

“This situation is frustrating,†she sighed.

“You’re the one who told me to avoid the police as much as possible after they pulled their guns on Orion.â€

“I know,†she sighed again. “I was hoping that after we captured a few threats they couldn’t handle they would start to see you in a different light.â€

“Well according to some of the aliens I’ve come across humans are considered one of the stupidest species in the galaxy.â€

“I wouldn’t take the word of a few malcontents…â€

“I’m talking about the ones just walking the streets.†Chuckling a bit he commented, “And based on a few people I know I’d say that’s a pretty fair assessment. Uh-oh.â€

“What is it?â€

“It looks like the cops are spreading out,†he explained. “I better get before they see me.â€

“Understood, I’ll keep monitoring the situation in case something comes of it.â€

Dez heard the weeds rustling as he moved over the line as he said, “Let me know if you do, Just to let you know more than likely I’ll be with Sam.â€

“The two of you have reconciled? That’s wonderful.â€

“More or less,†he answered. “I think she’s trying to tolerate the whole Sheriff thing at the moment.â€

“It is a step in the right direction,†she said

“I suppose, but if I know my sister she’s never going to let me forget it. I’m going to go silent before they spot me.â€

“Good idea, I’ll keep you informed if I find anything.†As the connection ended Dez leaned back in her chair. The Human was still rough, extremely rough that is, around the edges. She tried to heed Orion’s word and give him time. Granted at times he was more trying than other, but there was a spark here and there of someone who might have made a decent Sheriff if the planet was fully initiated into the galaxy council. Now if only he wasn’t so chatty.â€

Killspan stayed hidden in a forest near the city the faux Sheriff was primarily located. He needed time to adjust to this planet’s atmosphere, feeling it’s air currents. Early in his days as a mercenary he quickly learned each planet was different than his own, and in different ways. On his very first job on a different world he foolishly expected to glide the winds like he did in his youth. The winds on his home world were similar to this one, long and calm. The winds on that planet were short, almost seeming to change directions at a moment’s notice.

He lived to learn from the experience but his pride as a creature of the sky was damaged. Although it disgusted he had to learn to adapt to using mechanical means of flight. But he quickly learned to push it aside when he realized the results he was getting. Now he was older and wiser, a listener to the native winds. He still used the device, but now he learned to use it to it’s maximum effect on any planet. It also allowed him to stay in his element, and gave him an advantage that outweighed any disgust that might still linger. Opening his eyes ad standing up he looked at the city. Experience told him the currents would be different there because of the building. Experience should allow him to compensate with no problem. Placing a gold gauntlet on is forearm he made a fist, two energy claws emerged. The faux Sheriff time was over.

Slowly but surely Alex and Sam’s relationship was getting back to where it was. Sam was able to get things set so it would just be the two siblings enjoying an evening out in town. As a bonus Alex could just be himself and drop the act. Unless somebody they knew crossed their path that is. Sam thought fast enough to watch him go through his “transformationâ€, his face going neutral, his eyes going distant and looking elsewhere. He returned to normal the moment that person left. “That’s a little unnerving,†she told him after it happened a couple of times.

“You got to see how many times I go into it when you’re not around.†Surprisingly he admitted, “There are times I actually forget if I’m supposed to e on or not.â€

“If you’re looking for sympathy you’re looking in the wrong direction,†she told him. There was a strange beep she had never heard before. Looking around trying to locate it she noticed Alex stopped walking beside her. In fact he was looking a little guilty. “No,†she said realizing what it was, “Alex no.â€

“I can’t just ignore it,†he said. Annoyed by this turn of events Sam still pointed out an alley he could duck into. She didn’t know why but she followed him. Away from the street Sam watched as he pulled that keypad device out of his pack. “Your timing could be a little better Dez,†he said into it.

“It can’t be helped,†Dez answered. “I just intercepted a report of an avian creature terrorizing the other end of the city.â€

“Avian?â€, Sam asked. “Wait, you can fly?â€

Alex hesitantly said, “Kinda. Dez I’m powering up the suit.

“Acknowledged,†she responded. “I’ll scan your immediate area.â€

Sam stepped back as Alex flipped the device open and slapped it on his forearm. -5-7-1-6- “Online.†Sam squinted her eyes a bit as he was covered in brief flash of light one second then wearing the armor in the next. Without hesitation he hit the seven key. –SKY BOARD- Alex turned around as something that looked like a wide surfboard, except bigger in the back and something that looked like rocket engines on the side just appear out of thin air. Stepping into a recessed rectangular patch in the middle he told her, “I’ll be back as soon as I can.â€

“Right,†Sam said, not sure what else to say. She watched as he headed straight up before flying off to whatever Dez sent him off to.

Alex shifted his body slightly to turn the board in the direction of the disturbance once he was over the building. Leaning forward a bit he made the board start in that direction. “What do we got Dez?†Almost immediately she fed images from a local media source into his heads up.

As a “mug shot†poped up she said, “From the look of things it appears to be a mercenary named Killspan. He has murdered numerous prominent figures on dozen of worlds across the galaxy. Protocol Zero has been authorized.â€

Briefly he looked back to where he left Sam. For the first time in months he asked, “Are there any capture options?â€

“Alex we’ve gone over this.â€

“I know… I just… fine.†Muttering, “Just when she’s starting to accept all this crap,†he was silent for the rest of the way as Dez quickly fed him updates. Before long he found his target, with some sort of jetpack on his back and hovering above the street he took pot shots at the fleeing crowd below. Cries of help that were cut off mid scream caught his ear and he quickly pushed aside his concern about Sam. “Killspan!†he shouted once he got close enough. Thankfully the alien stopped firing to look at him. “You are in…â€

“Violation of whatever inane regulation that says I can’t kill any slugs like the ones below,†Killspan mocked as he changed his aim toward him.

“Works for me,†Alex told him as he tried to avoid the shots. –DOUBLE GUN- -RAPID FIRE- Returning fire tried to ignore the shots pinging off his armor, making sure his shots were either dead level or slightly below his target. Too bad Killspan didn’t care if his shot hit the crowd below or not. Killspan came right at him and Alex had to move quickly to avoid getting run into. Keeping his eyes on the alien mercenary Alex brought the board and gun around as Killspan did the same. Energized shots passed each other they got closer to each other. Both moved at the last second to avoid a collision. As Alex turned back around he saw Killspan just hover there.

“New game human,†he sneered. “I believe you slugs call it catch me if you can.â€

“What are you five?â€, he asked as Killspan turned and flew away. “Just had to take that short cut didn’t you,†he chided himself as he gave chase. Killspan wove between the buildings as fast as he could handle. Alex worked every move he had crammed into his head the past couple of months and then some to keep up. If he picked up anything in the short time he had been doing this is you do not lose track of a zero, not even for a second. Killspan started flying a straight path, Alex leaned forward a little more to make the board go faster. Getting close enough he thought he could reach out and touch him Killspan suddenly shot up. And Alex was face to face with the side of a building.

“Whoa!†Alex stomped on the back of the board to point the nose up. He held on to the board for dear life as the engines protested the sudden change in direction. He realized he forgot about the rule about zeros the moment he leveled out and Killspan was practically on top of him. Energy claws out he slashed hard and sparks came off the armor as Alex fought to keep his balance, but he lost his grip on one of his guns in the process. Killspan slashed him again from behind and he fell to the board as it stopped and hovered in mid air. Getting to a knee he saw the mercenary come right at him. He fired on instinct but Killspan kept right at him and barreled into him. Alex was able to grab the board with his free arm as he was knocked off. Hanging on for as much as he was worth he watched as Killspan set up and take aim.

“Too easy,†he sneered.

Before he could pull the trigger Alex hit the seven key again. The board disappeared and he dropped as the bolt flew over his head. Falling a few stories he crashed on a rooftop below. Pulling himself out of the small creator he made he muttered, “Forget in the morning that hurts now.†Quickly finding some cover he looked at the remaining gun in his hand, the barrel bent at an awkward angle and was totally useless now. “Dez I lost a gun and broke the other one.â€

“I’ve located the wayward weapon,†she said after a moment. “Transporting it out of civilian reach now.â€

“Great, but now I’m down two guns,†he said as he spotted Killspan as he swooped in. –DISC- Throwing it for all he was worth he was able to make Killspan change course, just long enough for him to run for the edge of the rooftop. –SKY BOARD- Dez placed it so he’d land on it once he jumped off the roof. Flying off he looked at the keypad as he went over his remaining options. The cannon wasn’t going to do him much good in this situation and the cycle was definitely out of the question. “Let’s try another game of chicken.†–SWORD- Holding it at his side he located Killspan coming right at him again, claws out. Alex pointed the board at the alien and pushed it as fast as it could go.

“Stupid human.†If Killspan could smile he would at this very moment. Energy claw crackling he swiped right when Alex jumped. He looked down as the board passed underneath him. He heard Alex yell as he flipped over him and lashed out with his sword. The blade ripped into the metal of the jetpack rocket. Alex landed on the board as Killspan started to spin out of control. Quickly hitting a release the pack continued to fly off into a building and expanded his leathery wing after he righted himself. Experience allowed him to catch a current and start gliding. He had to find footing and fast.

Alex quickly turned around and shot past him. Before turning around again he changed his grip on the sword so the point of the blade was facing behind him. Then he hit the zero key as he raced toward him. –PROTOCOL ZERO- Holding the sword behind him as he leaned forward and picking up speed the blade started to glow as energy from his armor flowed into it. Seeing it coming Killspan fired away frantically. Alex took the hits but held firm. Screaming one more time he swung the sword. And energy trail seemed to follow the blade as he sliced through the mercenary. Alex flew past him as he seemed to hover there for a moment before disintegrating in a flash of light. Alex didn’t have time to do anything else as he saw police helicopters come at him. He flew past them flashing one of the pilots the peace sign as he got out of there.

Sam heard what happened over her car’s radio as she headed for Alex’s apartment. Fortunately his landlord let her in without much question, even unlocked his door for her although Alex gave her a spare key awhile ago. Closing the door behind her she looked at the wall that had whatever that was behind it. Would it work for her? “Dez.†She was slightly surprised when it appeared out of the wall and her image appeared.

“Hello again,†she said.

“Tell me one thing,†Sam started, “did Alex have to kill that… thing?â€

Dez hesitated before answering, “Protocol zero was authorized, it is an automatic death sentence.â€

“And who in the hell gets to decide who lives and who dies in your organization? What gives you the right?!â€

“Protocol zero is only authorized for the most corrupt and evil individuals in the galaxy,†she explained. “And it is never given lightly. Any person brought up for zero their case must be scrutinized by a panel made up of a randomly selected individuals. If even one person finds a discrepancy in the file then it is not authorized.â€

“Oh and I bet you’re real happy when a ‘zero’ happens aren’t you?â€

“I was once,†Dez said surprising her. “I was fresh out of the academy and newly assigned to Orion. I was filled with ideal floating around in my head. The first time Orion zeroed a criminal I let my excitement show through. That was one of the few time Orion was ever angry with me.†With a sad smile she continued, “A life was just taken he had said, there is no cause for celebration. That is the difference between us and them. I was taken aback because no one, none of instructors none of my fellow students had told me that. Then I saw him afterwards, it took a toll on him. Physically he was fine but I could see it in his eyes. Suddenly I knew why he was so angry with me.â€

“Does it affect Alex?â€

“I’m afraid it does. I wish I couldn’t send him on those assignments but even as a temporary Sheriff he must full fill his duty as one.â€

Dropping into a chair she asked, “What am I supposed to do now?â€

“Orion and myself have tried to help him deal with this. But somebody who knows him personally would be much more helpful.â€

“How am I supposed to do that?â€

“Alex asked if there was a capture option, he hasn’t done that since he first received a zero authorization since talking the suit. Based on his mumbling I believe he was more worried about how you would look at him now. Samantha I don’t blame you for not being happy about all of this, but Alex needs your support more than anything especially after an assignment like this one. He need you to be there for him more than anything. opened up as Alex walked in. He looked at them for a moment before saying, “You came out for her?â€

“I… bent some regulations slightly,†Dez answered.

“I knew you had it in you,†while he joked Sam watched him. He did look like there was a weight on his shoulder that wasn’t there before.

“How are you doing?â€, Sam asked suddenly.

“I’m… fine,†he answered.

“Are you sure?â€

“Yeah,†he said.

“You know if you need to talk about anything I’m there for you right?â€

“I know Sam.†He gave her a very grateful sounding, “Thank you.â€

“Come here,†she pulled him into a hug. He held on to her for dear life. “I’m proud of you, you know that? You’re doing a good thing.â€

“I’m sorry Sam, I didn’t want to hurt you like that. I was afraid you’d never forgive me.â€

“You’re my brother you lunkhead, of course I’m going to forgive you.†Dez smiled at the siblings before fading away. There was another thing Orion had taught her that the academy didn’t. A good personal support system was just as important to a Sheriff as his equipment was. And from the look of things Alex was in good hands.

-----
-----

Professionally Insane
Sam and Alex seem to be getting things back on track, though it'll take some time to come. It's good to see Dez is lightening up too and trying to help Alex through life as a Sheriff and trying to aid Sam in understanding what it means, and what her brother is going through.

Killspan getting the Zero order, no suprise there. But he wasn't easy to defeat that's for sure, but Al did show why we humans are badasses in space. =D

S

scikaiju

-----
OP – Downstait – I Came To Play
-----

The music blaring in the background didn’t do enough to block his thoughts. The conversations going on around him in the filth ridden cantina didn’t distract him. This so-called drink on the dirty table in front of him never seemed to dull the memory. No matter what he did, awake or asleep, Galgamayde always returned to that moment. When that human did this to him. It consumed every molecule in his being. And he was constantly being denied his rightful revenge.

“That’s like the eighth drink I’ve seen you down tonight.†A green skinned Andorian sat across from him. Somebody he had occasionally partnered with in the past. A small measure of respect was the only thing keeping Galgamayde for shooting him for disturbing him.

“It dulls the pain,†he said while flexing the fingers on his mechanical hand. It was a mistake to reveal a potential weakness to anybody, especially in this line of work. Perhaps he did have too much to drink.

“I believe they have medication for that.â€

“I know, they shot me full of them when they fitted with these,†he gestured to his mechanical parts. “They dulled my other senses too much to be effective.â€

“I would think all those drinks would do the same.†Without a word and without looking Galgamayde grabbed the blaster strapped to his leg and shot a light across the room that was inbetween two beings sitting by it. “Maybe not by that much.â€

“Who’s shooting up my place?!â€, a four armed chef stormed out of the back wearing a apron and brandishing a meat cleaver in one of his hands. Then he saw Galgamayde who had the blaster pointed right at him. Backing away the chef said, “That’s going on your tab.†Then he quickly scurried back into the kitchen.

“Even with my handicap I’m still the best shot I the galaxy.â€

“Yes you are,†the Andorian quickly agreed before he holstered his weapon. “Anybody can see that.â€

“All except our all so glorious boss,†he sneered. “He keeps denying me my shot at the human.â€

“We got to do what he says, it’s the way this life works.â€

“Nobody even knows what species he is,†Galgamayde continued, frustration getting the better of him. “Nobody even knows what planet the bulbous ass is from.â€

“Careful Galgamayde,†he warned as he leaned forward a bit. “The Boss has a lot of ears. And not all of them are organic.†His eyes focused on something behind him. Galgamayde turned his head to see the Boss’s translator droid roll into the room. The entire room went dead quiet as it went to a table were an alien that looked like a wart hog drank from a steel container.

“Road Boar,†the machine said, “the Boss requests your presence. He has a mission for you on Earth.†It’s electronic eye seemed to focus on Galgamayde as it said that. His mechanical hand crushed the glass he was holding.

It was a pretty good afternoon so far, Sam was able to get off of work early and Alex had the free time, Unless Dez called him away that is. But so far so good. So they decided to grab an early dinner in the park. Pretty much the entire time she was asking about this Sheriff thing. Sam decided that if she was going to support him this she wanted to know all she could about it, “So your higher ups pay you for this right?â€

“Yeah,†he said as he took a sip of his soda, “I have to live on something. I’m not quite sure how it works but Dez converts the galactic credits into gold then does some sort of exchange with a bank somewhere. Then it goes into an account I can access. She even adjusts for inflations. I think buying and selling stocks is involved too.â€

“She was doing the same for Orion too right?†Alex answered with a nod as he took a bit of his hot dog. “You ever been in that satellite she’s on?â€

“A couple of times, she’d beamed me up there when she or Orion needs to talk to me face to face.â€

“But you have that hologram thing.â€

“I know but they tell me it’s some sort of security thing. It has to be so important they don’t want to risk the info being intercepted. Or she just wants to yell at me in person, either one.â€

“I don’t suppose you can get me up there?†It was long shot but it couldn’t hurt to ask.

“Dez ‘bent’ a few rules when she talked to you that one time,†he told her. “There are transport logs that are checked pretty regularly. An extra person is going to be noticed.â€

“Bummer,†was her only reponce as she took a sip. “But there’s another thing I have to know, you didn’t have anything to do with Ryan thinking Steve was the guy in the armor did you?â€

“That was his own over active imagination,†Alex told her. “I had nothing to do with that. I feel bad for Steve and all but I’m not going out of my way to point out he’s wrong. Besides,†he went into is act, “who’s going to believe the stoner?â€

“Could you not do that if you don’t have too,†she said feeling unnerved. Even knowing it’s an act that still got to her.

“Sorry,†he said dropping it.

“God you are way too good at that.â€

“Unfortunately I’ve had a lot of practice at it.†They keypad in his pocket went off. Looking apologetic he took it out and replied, “What do we have this time Dez?â€

“Nothing of importance,†she answered. “I just wanted to let you know the sector database was just updated. I need you to look it over when you have a free moment.â€

“You have nothing but free moments now,†Sam joked.

“I didn’t realize you were with your sister, my apologies. I’ll let you two get back to whatever you were doing.â€

“Okay Dez I’ll look at it later.â€

“Bye Dez,†Sam got in before the device turned off. “I’m assuming this database has something to do with the guys she sends you after.â€

“It’s guys reportedly in the area but not on planet yet†he explained. “I swear that things gets updated a couple of times a week.â€

Sometimes it was good to have connections. Give a mook enough credits and they’ll sneak anything on board their ship, or anybody. Road Boar walked out of the crate he was in taking off his breathing mask as soon as the crewman he bribed opened it up. Working out the kinks in his back and neck he tried to ignore the pest following him. “Where’s my payment,†he demanded. “Half then half now, that was deal.â€

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,†he grumbled in a deep voice. Taking a pouch off his belt he tossed it into the air. The cargo guy juggled it a bit before securing it fully in his hands. “Now get lost. And I’ll turn you into road kill if I find out you told anybody anything about me, got it?â€

“You kidding,†the cargo guy said, “I’ll lose my client base if I flapped my gums to anybody.â€

Road Boar looked around the bay and saw a couple of crates that belonged to him. Unfortunately he only had enough credits to get him and his stuff loaded, he didn’t have enough to get the guy to unload it for him. And the boss wasn’t exactly giving when he asked for a small advanced on that reward he offered to cover it. Eh who needed those pukes anyway? The so called elite had been using his people as heavy movers for generations now. “Borrowing†some anti-grav clamps and a lift he started unloading his crates. And just by looking around he say a local vehicle he could modify quite nicely to suit his needs. They’re gonna have to peel this Sheriff off the road after he was done with him.

When Alex told Sam this database got updated a couple of times a week he wasn’t exactly kidding. Two weeks later and he was on his fifth update. Granted he didn’t know how it worked with human criminals but times like this he wondered how regular police officers did it. Of course with him it wasn’t the number of people who might be in the area, he was bored out of his mind going through this thing. And he still hadn’t gotten through the rule book Dez gave when he first got the armor. “Pause,†he said standing up. The image on the wall screen stopped moving as he rubbed his eyes.

Dez’s image appeared a moment later, “The update isn’t finish Alex.â€

“My eyeballs feel like they’re going to fall out of their sockets. I just need a break for a moment.â€

“Orion…,†she started to say.

“Orion never took breaks,†Alex snapped. “Orion memorized the database in record time. Orion knew what they did before they popped up. Tell me when I’m getting close because I’m not Orion.â€

“I know that Alex,†Dez responded calmly. “Although I’ve probably said things about him or compared you too enough times you thought I was. However I was going to say Orion would have told me to tell whoever was sending the updates to shove them up whatever orifice he could think of at the moment.†Alex stared at her for a moment before laughing out loud.

“I can not see Orion saying that.â€

“You haven’t worked with him as long as I have, but he does want you to study up on this and the regulations. He has a bit of interest in your future after he takes back the armor.â€

Confused Alex said, “I figured I’d go back to my regular life. Granted everybody but Sam would think I’m a recovering drug addict.â€

“I don’t want to say too much but from the reports I’ve sent in he sees potential. To be honest so do… I.†Her head tilted slightly as her eyes started going back and forth. Alex had seen that before and knew exactly what it was.

“What are you picking up?â€

“Some sort of vehicular rampage that may be alien in origin. Her image disappeared as he walked up to the computer hidden in his wall and waited. After a few moments the updates was replaced by some live news footage. It looked like the culprit was driving a semi cab, or something that used to look like one. All of the window covered in metal with some slits to see through. Most of the body was covered in the same material. Some sort of angled plow was in front as pitch black smoke erupted from the pipes.

Watching it plow through the highway Alex asked, “Is that an alien or a road warrior wanna be?â€

“Inconclusive so far,†Dez told him. “Wait a moment. Reports are coming through that the vehicle in question might have been stolen from a spaceport a couple of cities away.â€

“Sounds like probable cause to me. Get me the location Dez I’m on my way.â€

Heading down to the street Sam met him as he came out of his building, “Alex did you see the…?â€

“Hi Sam, ‘bye Sam, he quickly said as he past her.

Grabbing the door before it closed she commented, “I’ll take that as a yes.â€

Armored up and on the sky board Alex headed for that truck. Dez still fed him information as she found it but still nothing on the identity of the driver. “I’m going to feel really embarrassed if this turns out to just be a deranged human,†he commented.

“You were tired of looking at the database†she told him. “If anything you can use it as, what’s that phrase you human use, good PR.â€

“Yeah but how do I explain my press agent?â€, he joked. Then the screeching sound of metal against metal caught his attention. “It’s go time,†he said out loud as he leaned forward. Spotting the modified semi he looked it over saying, “We never really discussed how I’m supposed to stop that thing.â€

“Now you want to listen when I suggested you should plan things out… two months ago.â€

“You’re as bad as my sister sometimes, you know that?†As he got closer to the truck some sort of cannon rose up behind the main cab. Zeroing in on him a blue ball of energy shot out. “Holy ****,†Alex nearly spun out of control trying to avoid being blasted out of the sky. “What the hell was that?â€

“That was an Markon Seven cannon,†Dez said in amazement. “Those are usually seen mounted on interstellar battle cruisers. We’re dealing with an alien criminal here.â€

“I think the blue energy cannonball gave that away.â€

“Hey Sheriff!†a deep voice shouted from the truck. “I’m gonna to shoot your shiny ass out of the sky. Then I’m gonna turn you into road kill courtesy of Road Boar ha-ha-ha!â€

“Road Boar,†Dez said as he zigged and zagged in the sky to avoid a target lock. “Found him, he’s wanted on several planets for vehicular mayhem. His home world wants him captured alive.â€

“Did they give instructions on how to get him out of that tin can?†–DOUBLE GUN- -RAPID FIRE- Returning fire Alex watched as his shots harmlessly bounced off the armor plating. “Not good.†Avoiding another one of those energy blasts he asked, “What is that stuff made of?â€

“Do a sensor scan,†she ordered. It took awhile for that cannon to fire one of those cannonballs so he was able to get a half way decent scan of the outside. “It looks like armored hull plating for galactic war ship. He had to have stolen it, it’s nearly impossible for civilians to get their hands on it.â€

“Worry about it later.†Putting the guns back he announced, “I’m bringing out the heavy hardware.†Taking the board to the ground he hopped off and hit the five key. -CANNON- Materializing on his shoulder he grabbed it with both hands. Taking aim at the truck barreling toward him he turned the dial slightly to get the inner chamber to rotate. –BLAST- “Fire in the hole!â€He recoiled back slightly as an intense energy beam shot out of the barrel. The beam hit the angled plow in front but it just bent it. “Oh come on,†Alex grumbled. Road Boar laughed at the results. He tried to line up another shot but Road Board hit a control in the cab and the plow shot off the front and right toward him. “Shit,†he ducked down to avoid the hunk of metal coming toward him. Getting back up he tried to line up the shot again but the semi was coming toward too fast. He got clipped in the leg as he jumped out of the way, “Damn it.â€

Over the sound of the board getting run over he heard Dez say, “Alex are you alright?â€

“I’m fine,†he grunted getting up, “the board’s toast though.†He wasn’t kidding, it was mangled beyond recognition. Limping a bit he hit the five and seven keys to send them back to storage.

“Alex did you notice something about that cannon?â€

“I was a little busy trying not to get run over,†he told her.

“It wasn’t firing when you were ground level. I think it can only fire on aerial targets.â€

“I’ll take your word for it.†He pressed the six key –GALACTIC CYCLE- A futuristic motorcycle appeared in front of him. Getting on and revving the engine he quickly gave chase. Weaving through the wrecked cars and those trying o get out of there he eventually caught up to the truck. So far Dez was right, while the cannon turned around to face him but those energy cannonballs flew over his head. Though he ducked a couple of times out of instinct.

Getting a clean stretch of road Alex tried to get in front of the vehicle having an idea form in the back of his head. “Oh no ya don’t ya punk,†Road Boar said as he quickly turned the wheel to cut him off. Alex was able to slow down enough to avoid getting squished between the truck and the guardrail. Trying to do it on the other side had the same thing happen, “Ha-ha-ha!â€

“Come on Brennen think,†Alex told himself. Going to the side again Road Boar went to cut him off again. Alex quickly cut to the other side and shot ahead of the truck. Getting a good stretch ahead of Road Boar he stopped and got off the cycle. He hit the one key –SINGLE GUN- then he hit zero before grabbing it. –PROTOCAL ZERO-

“Alex what are you doing?â€, Dez demanded.

“Killing an engine,†he told her. Parts of the gun started to glow brightly as energy transferred from the armor to it. Leveling the gun at the truck at the truck the targeting system in his visor locked on the exposed grill. Praying he didn’t think that far ahead and reinforce that he pulled the trigger. A beam twice the size of the barrel fired out and pierced the grill like a hot knife through butter. Road Boar jumped out of the cab as the beam entered the cab. Slowly the truck came to a stop. Alex was able to step to the side as it came to a stop past him. “Unless it was a recent addition there’s no regulation against it that I’ve seen so far.â€

“You have been reading the file I gave you,†Dez said. “I’m…â€

“Impressed?â€, Alex offered as he walked toward Road Boar. “Amazed?â€

“Stunned stupid actually,†she said with some humor.

“Yeah yeah,†Alex told her. “If I didn’t know better I’d swear that was a joke.†Road Boar tried to run away. –CAPTURE- Three pulls of the trigger wrapped three energy bands around his body.

“You punk!â€, he screamed after he fell to the ground. “I’ll be back!â€

“I’ll be here,†he told him as he slapped a transport chip on him. After he disappeared he added, “Well either me or Orion depending on when he gets back.â€

Hearing sirens in the background as he headed for the cycle told him to get out of there. A couple of squad cars got through the mess and tried to surround him. “Get on the ground and put your hands behind your head!†one of them ordered as they pulled their guns on him as he got on the cycle.

Holding up two fingers he told them, “Peace.†Then he got the hell out of there. There was a small chase but with Dez’s help he was able to lose them.

Sam was waiting for him in his apartment. The fact his television was on told him she knew what he did. Not sure what else to do he said, “So how did I do?â€

“Well you’re crazy,†Sam told him, “but I already knew that. You weren’t kidding about the cops were you?â€

“I wish I was. Things would be a whole lot easier. You were going to tell me about that truck weren’t you?â€

“Well I figured if you were going to be stuck with this for awhile I’d at least try and be supportive. Although I’ll be happy when this Orion guy takes the armor back and you can go back to normal. Well, normal for you anyway,†she added with a sly grin.

“You might want to hold that thought,†Alex told her.

“Why?â€, she asked cautiously.

“Something Dez alluded to earlier about my future,†Alex said. He wasn’t sure about telling her this but he did promise her he wouldn’t hide anything about this Sheriff deal anymore.

“Did she say what it was?â€

“Not really, but… I think Orion might be planning on making me his partner after he gets back.â€

“You told me about this partner thing, you said he didn’t use a partner.â€

“I know, Dez said he’ubborn ones. I don’t know why, maybe I’ve been impressing him or something.â€

“Now you excel at something,†Sam said getting a bit upset. “So will you be going out with him when he gets a call from Dez?â€

“Not all the time,†he answered. “Only when he thinks he needs help. And seeing how Orion thinks he can take on the world according to Dez I should have a lot of free time on my hands.†He wanted her to laugh a bit, at least chuckle. But nothing.

“I don’t like it,†Sam told him plainly.

“I know.â€

“Damn it why did you have to be good at this?†She looked conflicted as she stood there looking around the room.

“I can always tell them no,†Alex offered.

“Damn it,†she repeated. “I told you that you were doing some good. I don’t want you to regret not being able to do so every time you turn on the news. Why did you have to take that short cut?â€

“I’ve asked myself that a few times already.â€

“Just promise me you’ll be careful no matter what you do in this.â€

“Come on now, it’s me.â€

“That’s not the reassurance I was looking for,†Sam joked weakly. Alex offered to pay for takeout so they could talk about this fully. Alex got the feeling this was going to be a long talk.

-----
-----

Professionally Insane
That truck got grilled. :p lol

Seems Dez is warmning up even more, that's good, though I wonder how long she'll be staying professional in this whole endevour? Also what kind of future is in store for Alex once Orion is fully healed? Possibly getting his own armor? Or maybe the first rep for the initiation of earth into the galactic community? XD

Also I'm curious if Sam will be getting in way over her head later on. Galgamayde seems like he'd be the one two use her as a hostage that's for sure. Hmmm... maybe the Boss is deliberatly keeping him from getting his shot to build up his rage to the boiling point, and then send him over the edge?

Can't wait for the next episode. :thumbs:

S

scikaiju

-----
OP – Downstait – I came to play
-----

Another week another database update. It was a smaller update so Alex was able to get through this one in one setting, still he was getting a headache. Getting out of the chair and rubbing his eyes he tried to work the kink that was forming in his lower back. Dez’s image appeared a moment later, “A few names were taken out of our database,†she commented. “They were spotted in other sectors.â€

“It’s about time,†Alex said as his back finally popped. “God that felt good.†Realizing what he just said he stood there for a moment, “I’m turning into my Grandfather. I was starting to wonder if every known criminal was heading this way because they think the new guy would be easy.â€

“I’m sure some of them thought that way at first,†Dez said. “But you are getting a bit of a reputation now. “A very small one,†she added with a smirk, “but one none the less.â€

“Oh God don’t let Sam find out about that. She nearly flipped when I told her Orion had plans for my future.â€

“She won’t hear it from me,†Dez promised him. “Unless you get on my nerves again, then it might ‘accidently’ slip. So I would behave yourself if I was you.â€

He eyed her image, “Are you sure you’re an alien because you’re sounding like a few humans I know.â€

“I won’t take that as a compliment.â€

“If you knew the humans I was talking about you shouldn’t. I don’t suppose you can tell me what Orion has in mind?â€

“I think he should be the one to tell you,†Dez told him. “What I said was a tad premature. From my understanding he’s still thinking it over.â€

“Well if he had a partner I guess it wouldn’t matter.†Stretching a bit more he said out loud, “I have no idea how he did this solo for so long. There were a few times I could have used a little backup.â€

“You could always choose a partner,†Dez informed him.

“What?â€, Alex was caught totally off guard with that one. “I can do that? I’m just a replacement.â€

“Well you are a replacement but you are the official Sheriff for this planet,†she explained. “Any partner you choose would be official as long as you are the Sheriff.â€

“Whoa,†he said still stunned. “Why didn’t you tell me this before now?â€

“You never brought it up,†she said, “and you are as stubborn as Orion in most aspects. I thought it would be the same here. Do you have somebody in mind?â€

“There’s somebody I’d asked in a heartbeat, but I don’t know how well it would fly. Especially now.†Dez had an idea who he was talking about but didn’t say anything.

Lately whenever the boss called a meeting Galgamayde made his way further and further t the front of the crowd. Anything to get that lard ass’s attention. He even tried to be a little more respectful. It made him physically ill. But he was desperate for another shot at the human. At this point ready to bribe him, or threaten his life depending on his mood at the moment. If anything taking a few pot shots at that blasted droid might have made him feel better. A point he was more and more prepared to prove as their boss ‘spoke’. “Maybe he would put a shot through his own brain, at least that was he’d be out of his misery.

“Now I wish to talk about the Earth Sheriff.†Galgamayde’s focus on the situation soon returned. “He’s been more of a nuisance than I originally anticipated. In fact I see I should have listened to Galgamayde when he said Orion initiated Protocol Gamma.â€

“Finally,†he whispered. The droid seemed to focus on him for a moment.

“If I did perhaps he would have been dealt with by now. Instead I foolishly gave him time to adjust to the situation. As of now he’s a bad as a regular Sheriff. But we know from experience regular Sheriffs are killable.†The crowd agreed with nods and shouts. “Therefore I am asking for a volunteer to remind this human how mortal he really is.â€

This was his chance. “I have an interesting suggestion.†Galgamayde’s electronic eye glowed with fury as he turned to see who would dare speak before he could. Those in the room looked as vulture looking thing in a dirty lab coat with black, dark brown and red stains walked into the room.

“Professor,†the droid said after a bit, “what possible suggestion could you possibly have?â€

“A Herculean,†he simply said. Galgamayde wasn’t alone in voicing his protest about that.

“The human Sheriff has proven he can handle a Herculean with very little problem,†the droid stated, the boss apparently agreeing with the protesters.

“Not like this one.†Pulling a device out of his pocket he pointed it toward the opening. There were several thuds as a Herculean walked through, but not a normal one. On it’s pale skin you could see various electronic devices at various points. There seemed to be a faint glow under his skin in spots as well. A metal like headband seemed to grow out of his forehead.

“You modified him,†somebody in the crowd cried out.

“Augmented,†the Professor corrected the person. “He is several more time stronger than a regular member of his species. And slightly more controllable as well.â€

“I would think that would lessen their effectiveness.†The droid translated. “It is the general consensus that you just point one in the right direction and let them do the rest.â€

“True,†the Professor agreed, “but what if you can narrow his focus a bit, make him concentrate on something a little better so the total amount of his rage is on a single object. Without the wasted energy or needless destruction.â€

“I would imagine the receiver is that band on his head,†the boss and droid commented. “A signal shot would disrupt your control.â€

“Probably yes,†the Professor agreed. “Would anybody be willing to test that particular theory?â€

“Gladly,†Galgamayde pulled his pistol and fired away at the headband. Several shots hit the band but ricocheted off a force field that popped up around the band. He kept firing as the crowd around then almost ran over itself trying to avoid getting hit by the backlash.

“Galgamayde enough!†he stopped but he eyed them out of the corner of his natural eye. He was positive the droid and the boss spoke at the same time.

“That field has a separate internal generator,†the Professor explained as he walked around his project. “separate from the rest of his systems. There’s even one for the controller here,†he raised it over his head to accent his point. “As you can see sir I have thought of everything. And the Sheriffs are still not allowed to zero a Herculean, no matter how much they are augmented.â€

“I will give your little experiment a chance Professor. Leave for Earth immediately.†With the control the alien scientist directed the Herculean out of the room with him close behind. The crowd around them murmured about this particular turn of events. But Galgamayde’s attention was on the Boss and his droid.

Checking her chronometer Dez stood up and faced the area behind her. Smiling a bit she waited a second before she received the incoming transmission signal. In the next instant a holo image of a still chair ridden Orion appeared in front of her. He started to say something then he noticed her expression. Looking confused for a moment he said, “Why do I get the feeling that I’m getting predictable in my infirmed state?â€

“Only to those who know you,†she said. “As the Earth saying goes, I’m probably sounding like a broken record here but is there any progress on your end?â€

“Actually yes,†he said with a little pride. “I have some feeling on the bottom of my left foot. Ahead of schedule too. Those grafts are finally looking like they’re taken hold.â€

“You told me they were reluctant to give you any type of timeline.â€

“I’m talking about my schedule,†he informed her. “These so called medics may be a tad over cautious about my recovery but I’m going to be back in my armor before they know it.â€

“Don’t push yourself too fast,†Dez warned him, “you could do more to damage yourself.â€

Snorting he said, “You’re sounding like these medics. Speaking of the armor how is Alex holding up?â€

“He’s starting o come into his own,†she answered. “As I told him earlier he’s starting to develop a reputation from what I’m hearing.â€

“Good,†Orion said with a nod. “Your last report said something about a sister?â€

“His twin sister Samantha,†she corrected him. “She found out what he was doing in a way he wasn’t expecting. There was a bit of a rough patch between them but like any siblings they mended their relationship.â€

“Good, good. Dez, I know this may be asking a lot but can you watch over her as well?â€

Now she was confused, “I was any way as a favor to Alex. Why, is something wrong?â€

“Nothing I can confirm at the moment,†was all he said. With a little more prodding he finally relented, “I’m worried about Galgamayde. I sent word to my contacts about him and asked a few of the other Sheriffs to inquire about his whereabouts. Nobody has seen him since it happened.â€

“Maybe his injuries were so sever they did him in,†she offered.

“I doubt either I or Alex is that lucky. No, Galgamayde is still out there, I can feel it in my bones. And I fear for Alex when he decides to show up again.â€

If there was one thing Alex had learn in the time he was covering for Orion it was that the call would usually come at night. That’s why when some kind of outing was being planned he’d try and get it going during the day. Sam understood when he told her about it, even said she’d try and help out when she could. He was grateful but still as night came closer he subconsciously became more aware of the keypad in his pocket. He didn’t even jump anymore when it went off, “What do we got Dez?â€

“A small two man vessel just shot past every orbital checkpoint at breakneck speed. It touched down just outside your city. I’m sending the coordinates now.â€

“I’m on it.†Heading for the roof of his apartment building he quickly dialed Sam’s number.

She picked up saying, “I’m guessing something out of this world is going to make you late.â€

“More or less.â€

“Well be careful.â€

“I always am. I’ll be there as soon as I’m done, bye Sam.†Hitting the roof he checked to see if anybody else was around before flipping open the keypad and placing it on his forearm -5-7-1-6- , “Online.†A split second glow coming from the keypad covered him in the armor. –SKY BOARD- Stepping on it as soon as it appeared he locked onto the coordinates Dez supplied him. It didn’t take him long to find the ship, in fact it was in plain sight in the middle of the field. Zooming in on a creature in a dirty lab coat he asked Dez, “Any idea who that is?â€

“I’m running the facial recognition program now,†she said. “Nothing is coming up so far. But his craft is coming up as unidentifiable, no markings and no ID signal. That makes it an illegal transport in anybody’s book.â€

“Right.†Landing the board he walked foreword a couple of steps but still made sure he kept some distance between them. “I don’t know who you are but you are I violation of interstellar regulation thirty seven and… was it fourteen?†Dez said it was. “Interstellar regulation fourteen. Making an illegal landing on an inhabited world and piloting an unmarked space craft.â€

“I am aware,†the professor said. “In fact I can’t wait to see your reaction to this.†He pressed a button on some sort of remote in his hand. Alex hit the two key and had both guns out as the side of opened up with a hiss. A first he saw a Herculean standing there. Then he saw what was done to him.

“What the ****?â€, Alex was stunned as his arms lowered slightly.

“He… he…,†Dez stammered, a loss for words as well, “that’s inhumane.â€

“Destroy the Sheriff,†the Professor simple said. The modified Herculean eyes seemed to glow as it roared and stomped out of the craft.

“Whoa,†Alex said trying hard to resist the urge to back up, “easy big fella. There’s no need to do anything violent.†The Herculean came slowly closer totally focused on him. “Don’t say I didn’t warn ya.†–RAPID FIRE- A pull of the triggers sent of a barrage energy shot that impacted the Herculean. He came steadily foreword seemingly unaffected by it, “Not good.†A giant fist came at him that he barely avoided. The blow literally cracked the ground where he was. Scrambling back as gas t he could Alex mumbled, “How am I suppose to handle this one?â€

“Don’t let him hit you,†Dez said over the line.

“Oh geez you think?â€, Alex said heavy on the sarcasms. The Professor just stood there and laughed at the situation. “Let’s see what happens when I take out the controller.†He was able to get the Professor to run for cover when he started firing at him. He figured the Herculean would try and protect him, what he wasn’t expecting was the speed in which he did so. Before Alex could react a massive hand wrapped around his throat, “Urk.†The he was thrown way from the professor. Crashing into a tree it cracked in half from the impact. Warning alerts flashed in front of his vision from the damage the armor took.

“Alex!â€, Dez shouted trying to get his attention. “Aim for the headband! From what I’m reading he’s being controlled from there.â€

“Right,†he grunted trying to focus on the targeting system. As soon as he got a lock he pulled the trigger. Several shots hit the band but a field protected it. “I hate surprises,†he said through his teeth as he continued to fire at the band. He wasn’t sure if his eyes were playing tricks on him but the Herculean was on him super fast. He was batted to the ground that made him see stars as his weapons fells from his hands.

“Yes,†the Professor crowed as his creation picked up the Sheriff and blasted him with a punch to the chest. Sparks came flying off as he said, “Kill him, kill the Sheriff!â€

From her station Dez could only watch as the armor’s integrity went down by chunks. Having flashback to when Orion was injured she felt her fear grow. “No, not again, not another one. Alex get out of there now! Do you hear me? You have to get out of there or you’ll die!â€

Being tossed aside Alex slowly got to his feet as the Professor made the Herculean stay back as he savored the moment. He heard Dez through the alarms. He knew she was right but he couldn’t let this guy get away and make more of them. Standing as straight as he could his finger found the eight -POWER- and the nine key –BOOST-. In orbit Dez’s station shifted a bit as it locked onto his location A panel on the bottom opened and a disk lowered. A brief power up a unleashed a beam right at Alex. “God I hate this par… AARGH!†he recoiled in pain as the beam struck pack on his back. Energy surged through the armor making parts of it glow brightly including what looked like his eyes.

“Now my creation gets to destroy a booted Sheriff,†the Professor nearly jumped for joy. “This is just perfect.â€

“All right you son of a *****,†Alex said as the power surge stabilized, still leaving parts of his armor glowing. “Let’s try this again.†Alex didn’t wait as he ran faster than usual toward the Herculean. The armor his reflex as well as he ducked a hook and popped up with an uppercut that staggered the modified alien. A continued assault made him back trying to protect himself from the boosted attack. The Herculean tried another punch, Alex grabbed it and flipped him over his shoulder. Hitting the nine again –BOOST- he grabbed he headband as best as he could. The excess energy started to drain form the armor and build up into his right hand. “Sorry, but this is going to hurt… a lot.†The excess energy went from his hand to the field overloading it. The band smoked as the Herculean started gurgling. Quickly Alex slapped a transport chip on him and stepped back as he disappeared. “Is he going to be alright?â€

“You got him just in time,†she answered. “He’s barely stable but he can be transported.â€

The Professor started to run for the ship. Alex grabbed a gun off the ground and slid the switch -CAPTURE-. An energy band wrapped around him and caused him to fall to the ground. “What about this son of a *****?â€

“A Herculean was illegally modified, they will want custody of him.â€

“They won’t kill me,†The Professor crowed. “Even if he dies they won’t, they don’t have a death penalty.â€

“Yeah, but they’ll probably make you wish they killed you when they’re done with you.†Slapping another chip on him and watched him disappear. After he was gone he dropped to all fours and groaned in pain. “God I hurt all over.â€

“You are as stubborn as Orion,†Dez snapped at him as soon as it was over. “I told you to get out of there. The armor could have failed. You could have been killed.â€

“I couldn’t let him get away and create a army of those thing,†he grunted through his teeth.

“Fine but the next time I tell you to run you run. Do you understand me?â€

“I’m fine Dez,†he told her. “No permanent damage.â€

“This time,†she shot back. After a bit she told him, “Your bio readings are coming back normal. The boost didn’t affectrsely.â€

“I beg to differ,†he winced as he tried to stand up, “ow, ow, ow.â€

“You’re as big a baby as Orion is after a boost too,†she said trying to sound normal. “I believe you had some sort of plans with your sister tonight. Do you want me to call and tell her you’ll be later than you originally thought?â€

“Oh god no, you call and she’ll immediately think the worst.†Finally being able to stand he added, “I’ll call her in a bit. I told her what the boost does to me. Hopefully she won’t get too upset that I used it.â€

Galgamayde said nothing as he followed the spindly creature into the main chamber. He was slightly surprised to see nobody else in the room except the boss and his droid but kept it from his face. The gray spindly creature said noting as it bowed and the left the room. After a moment the boss started speaking and the droid translated. “We have received word that the Professor and his experiment has failed. I will relent and give you a chance at the replacement Sheriff.â€

If the boss was expecting gratitude he was soon disappointed. Galgamayde’s only response was to turn around and walk out while saying, “Finally.â€

-----
-----

Professionally Insane
Hmmmm... whoever invented this boost should be shot, though it is helpful, but if it makes ya feel like you've been pushed passed your limits or bbqed... >_> I think it needs tweeking. lol

So Dez says he can bring in a partner... I dunno if his sis could handle that part without getting herself killed, but at least he'd have help. Though he wouldn't be able to appreciate her in a mini-skirt with lots or fanservice panty shots, but the readers will. :p

Galy's getting his shot again... this should be interesting. I wonder if the Galactic counsel will send in a 2nd Sheriff to give him a hand on that one? Or maybe his partner will lend a hand. :3

S

scikaiju

-----
OP – Downstait – I Came to Play
-----

The stars stopped swirling as he exited hyperspace, his destination hanging in the dark vastness like a blue marble. This was not the first time he had visited the planet. Then he was confident in the outcome of his visit, perhaps a tad overconfident if he took the time to think about it. Now he was left with a permanent reminder of that overconfidence. No, this time he would keep that confidence in check, but he would get his revenge.

But getting that revenge meant he had to catch his prey by surprise. And that meant he’d have to find away to get planet side without being noticed. Of course there was no better way to sneak past them then to do it legally, well semi legally. It was a short wait to find a lone one man cargo vessel that he quickly overtook and boarded. The idiot who tried to stop him was quietly floating in space several hundred parsecs back. As an added bonus he discovered the craft communication system was audio only so he didn’t have to disable anything and come up with an excuse as to why it wasn’t functional. If he believed in any sort of deity he would have said this was a sign. But he choose not to become over confident, not this time.

Roughly a few minutes before he reached sensor range he jettison the cargo he put on board. It would take care of itself and this ship was supposed to be on a pick up run not a delivery, he had to keep up appearances after all. He braced himself as he hit sensor range and was scanned. A few minutes after that he heard, “This is Space Station Theta to incoming craft, please identify.â€

“Station Theta this is the cargo vessel Mylar. I’m scheduled for a pick up down on the planet,†he replied.

“Acknowledged Mylar,†he got back. “You’re later than what’s scheduled.â€

“I ran into a plasma storm in Gamma sector,†he said. “Played havoc with my engines.â€

“A couple of ships coming from Gamma sector have said that.†One of the rules of sneaking onto a planet was to keep an ear on comm. chatter. You usually picked up something useful. “You are clear to land on the planet Mylar. Welcome to Earth.â€

“Thank you Theta, Mylar out.†Smiling with satisfaction Galgamayde’s eye glowed now that his chance for revenge was near.

In the months since that first craft made that emergency landing alien life had slowly started to integrate into human society. While not huge by any means the major cities had at least one “alien town†in it’s limits. Outside of the occasional Earth bigot things were running pretty smoothly. In fact they had become a bit of a tourist attraction in a very short amount of time. And even though Orion apparently never paid them any real attention to them Alex walked through the one near him pretty regularly. Sam, who joined him for this particular trip, looked around with some interest as they walked down the street. “So is this part of your regular beat?â€, she joked.

“I guess so,†he shrugged. “I’ve been coming down here a lot since I got the armor. I have a lot of free time now so I figured why not.â€

“Do any of them know you’re the Sheriff now?â€

“I think a couple of them suspect it,†he answered. “But for the most part I don’t think so.â€

“Dez told me word that a human was in the armor now got around pretty quick in the alien population,†Sam informed him. “If the ones who suspect are part of that mob you guys were telling me about you might want to be careful.â€

“Those are the ones I’m watching,†he admitted. “But they seem to avoid me for the most part but I’m not dropping my guard.â€

“Alex!†They turned to see a humanoid with brownish gray woolly fur and tusks coming out of his mouth behind a food stand wave at them.

Smiling in return he returned the wave he called back, “Hey Nyr. Come on Sam you have to meet this guy.â€

“My good friend,†Nyr greeted him. “How are you today?†Looking over at Sam he said, “Is this the… what’s the word… pod mate you told me about. Pod mate is the right term yes?â€

“Pod mate?â€, asked a very confused Sam.

“Sister Nyr,†Alex corrected him.

“Ah yes, sister,†the alien said while nodding his head “I’m sorry I forget the right word. Your language very hard for me sometimes.â€

“It’s cool Nyr,†Alex said, “and yeah this is Samantha.

“Nice to meet you, Nyr was is it?†Sam asked as she took the offered hand.

“Please I insist you call me by my given name,†he said, “Nyraxthloean.†Sam just looked at him feeling her tongue start to strain just thinking about it.

Alex chuckled, “If you can say that without butchering it as much as I have more power to you.â€

“Or you can just call me Nyr like everybody else,†he said. “But I insist you try some Kavalful. It’s a delicacy from home planet, very delicious,†he put a spoon in a pot in front of him and started stirring it. So far it smelled all right.

She looked at Alex, “Do I want to try it?â€

Trying to look in the pot he asked, “Is this batch alive?â€

“No,†he answered, “this batch I could not get live. But next best thing.â€

“Then yes you want to try it,†Alex told her. This time she stared at him.

Nyr slapped some of the contents on a bun, “Bah, humans and your delicate digestive system.â€

Making sure he was covered in a hooded long coat Galgamayde stuck to the shadows as much as possible. While he waited for his oh so glorious leader to finally give his blessing he studied the human Sheriff as best. He knew this city was the one he was the one where he was most seen so he landed his hijacked craft nearby. Very few people, alive that is, knew that his electronic eye had a limited sensor package that he set to pick up alien energy signatures. After the almost overwhelming feedback that assaulted him once he entered the city he reset it detect the known wavelength of Sheriff technology. It wasn’t an exact science but if he could spot the human before he was aware he was being hunted he would have the advantage. And he had already stashed the cargo vessel so he could wait as long as it’ll takes.

Then his eye got a ping. He tried to remain calm, it wouldn’t be the first time today he got a false reading. Slowing his pace he tried to locate the source he was picking up. It took him a few minutes but he was able to spot it coming from the back pocket of a male human. He stood there talking to a Mifarelon for a few moments. A human female called out to him and he ran across the street toward her. Galgamayde’s heart nearly stopped beating. The human wasn’t wearing the armor but he moved similar to the human Sheriff. His natural hand itched for his blaster under his coat, this had to be too good to be true.

“Alex Hurry up,†Sam called to him. When he finally caught up she asked, “Have you ever tried that stuff live?â€

“Once,†he answered, “then I was on the nearest toilet five minutes later.

“Now there’s a lovely image,†she said.

“Why did you think I asked first?†The keypad went off in his pocket. Looking around and not seeing anybody paying any attention he pulled it out, “What is it Dez?â€

“A cargo ship didn’t land at it’s scheduled destination,†she said. “There was no call from the pilot saying he had to make an emergency landing so I thought I’d better give you a heads up.â€

“Did she ever say heads up before she met you?â€, Sam joked.

Alex ignored her, “All right Dez let me know if you hear anything.â€

“Sheriff!â€, somebody shouted. Alex turned around to see somebody pull a hood off his head. The first thing he saw was the red electronic eye and metal on the left side of his face. The burnt scales cover the right side made him pause, sparking a memory.

“It can’t be,†he said.

“Now you’re mine.†Ripping off his long coat and revealing his mechanical arm he pulled his blasters and started firing. Alex grabbed Sam and ducked as the crowd started to panic. He tried to use it to get Sam to a safer spot as Galgamayde continued to fire. “You can’t hide from me human! You will die at my hands today!â€

“Alex what’s going on?â€, Dez asked over the link. “Was that blaster fire?â€

Pushing Sam into a store with an open door he told her, “Stay here,†before running away from there. Slapping the keypad on his arm he said, “Dez I think it’s Galgamayde.†He tried to hide behind a truck for some cover. The assassin kept firing at it until he hit something the right way and it exploded.

“Alex!â€, Sam shouted but stayed put too petrified to move.

Galgamayde kept his blasters on the blaze as he slowly approached it. The thermal reading was coming off what was left of the truck was playing so much havoc with his electronic eye that he couldn’t read anything clearly. Energy shots came from the blaze that made him stop his approach and duck. Jumping through the flames the now armored human quickly took aim and pulled the trigger of the guns in his hands. Galgamayde quickly bolted before he could get tagged with a shot. “Damn I didn’t think you could get any uglier,†Alex said as he ran after him.

Galgamayde felt him get closer then jumped, grabbed a lamp post and swung around as he kicked him in the chest. “I have you to thank for that human,†he spat. The alien held a foot on his chest and pointed the barrel of his blaster at his head. Alex brought up both guns and fired. Sparks came off his clothes as he fell back, “Ugh.†Getting to his feet he took aim again but the assassin was already gone.

“The hell?â€

“Above you!†somebody shouted. Alex looked up to see Galgamayde perched on top of that lamp post. The next instant Galgamayde dove right on top of him and knocked one of the guns from his hands. They struggled for control of the second one as they rolled on the ground. Galgamayde’s mechanical hand punched him repeatedly in the armored face when he wouldn’t let go. Finally Alex let go of the gun and punched him square in the organic part of his face. Forcing him off and hauling him up he slammed him against a car.

“You should have stayed under that rock you crawled under,†Alex told him.

Galgamayde just sneered. “Did Orion ever tell you exactly how I put him through that wall human?†Alex just stared at him as an electronic whir slowly filled the air. Looking down at the source he saw some sort of device on his chest blink. Then a massive sonic wave threw him across the street into a parked delivery van. Alarms went off as armor integrity dropped twenty percent. Galgamayde tapped the device a bit, “That should have sent you through that vehicle, you must have damaged it. Congratulation human,†he mocked. With a quick spin he grabbed one of his blasters on the ground and blasted Alex repeatedly before he could move.

He took the shots just long enough to hit the three on the pad. –SWORD- Blade extended he ran in and sliced through the gun. Galgamayde backed up as the human tried to hack him to pieces. This was right where he wanted the human, angry and frustrated. Pulling a compression grenade off his chest he threw it at the faux Sheriff. It went off and knocked him to the ground. “You fell for it again human,†he taunted. “Did you not learn anything last time?â€

“How about I show you,†Alex grunted as he got to his feet.

“I’ll give you this much human you’re as stubborn as a real Sheriff. So I will take double pleasure in this.†Reaching into a pouch with his natural hand he threw some pebbles that exploded against the armor in impact. Those distracted Alex enough that Galgamayde fired off another sonic blast. Crashing through the window of the building he put his sister in. Sam quickly went to him as he got to a knee.

“Alex you have to get out of here,†she told him. “He’s too much for you.â€

“I’m afraid I have to agree,†Dez told him over the keypad. “I contacted Orion, he’ll get somebody here as soon as he can but you need to retreat now.â€

Alex looked out the window he came through, Glagamayde was walking toward them. “Dez,†he said as he pulled a chip out of his buckle, “get her out of here.†Putting the chip on Sam’s leg she disappeared before she could respond. –DISC- Throwing it before he could get a proper trajectory he aimed it right at the alien’s head. Galgamayde ducked but it still sliced through the top layer of his mechanical arm. The feedback from the damage disoriented him enough for Alex to get back on the street and plow right into him. Picking him back up he kneed the alien in the gut. Trying to make sure he couldn’t use anything else on his body he kept up the assault. Grabbing his mechanical arm Alex paused when he noticed Galgamayde was sneering again.

“Just what I wanted.â€

“What are…?†he got out when something popped off the assassin’s arm and attached itself to his armor. A volt went through him that knocked Alex out but left the armor intact. Galgamayde stood there triumphant as he dropped to the ground. Now he would get his revenge.

“Alex…?â€, Sam started to say when she was kneeling next to him. Before she could she felt a strange tingling sensation after he touched her leg. It took a moment for her to realize he was gone and she was somewhere else. Everything was metal and alien, even the air felt sterile. A door opened surprising her, somebody wanted her to go through obviously but should she? Hearing a familiar voice in the distance convinced her she should, “Dez.†Running through the halls she found her and some guy in a chair.

Dez watched the computer looking thing in front of her and muttered, “Alex you idiot.†Her expression and pained voice immediately hit her in the stomach like a ton of bricks.

“Alex?â€, Sam asked.

The man in the chair turned toward her, “Who are you and what are you doing in here?â€

“Not now Orion,†Dez snapped. Trying to regain her composure she said, “Alex is alive Samantha.â€

“Where is he?â€, she demanded. “Get him up here nowâ€

“I can’t,†she said while trying to work the station. “Something is blocking the armor’s tracking signal. I’m barely getting an armor integrity reading as it is. I’m trying to use that to get a lock on his location.†She stopped when her console beeped . Sam tried to read the symbols Dez was, frustrated that she couldn’t. “Armor integrity just dropped down a couple of percentage points, it’s roughly at forty percent now.

“What does that mean?â€, Sam demanded.

“He’s playing with him,†the man said looking distressed.

“You,†Sam said pointing at him, “you’re that Orion guy, the one who had the armor before Alex. Do something, get another Sheriff or something out here and help him!â€

“We already contacted command,†Dez said.

“Even on the fastest transport help won’t get here in time,†Orion continued.

“So you’re just going to let him die?â€, Sam felt a strong urge to strike something, someone.

“We are not going to let him die,†Dez assured her. “I’m going to get him out of there the moment I get a solid lock on him.â€

“If I only choose a partner,†Orion said berating himself. “We could have avoided this.â€

Dez stopped what she was doing and looked at them, particularly Sam. “No,†she said shaking her head, “it’s crazy, it wouldn’t work.â€

“What wouldn’t work?â€, she demanded.

She was going to tell her to forget she said anything. Then the armor integrity dropped a few more points. “A little while ago I told Alex he had the option to pick a partner himself. He said he had a person in mind.†She looked at Sam who quickly understood.

“Me? He wanted me as his partner?â€

“Alex said he had somebody he would ask and that was it. I was assuming it was you, I could be wrong.â€

“But I don’t know what to do.†Dez’s console beeped again, if it was the same as before…. “I’ll make it up as I go along. What do I have to do?â€

“It’s not that simple,†Dez tried to explain. “Alex has to confirm he wants you as his partner. I can’t just hand it to you.â€

“While Alex is technically the Sheriff of this sector,†Orion said, Dez turned to look at him,†this is still officially my sector after all. He’s just watching it for me. I’ll confirm her. And she already agreed.â€

“Command is going to throw a fit,†Dez told him.

“I’ll take the heat.â€

“You two are so alike it’s sickening,†Dez said. “Samantha, come with me I’ll have to give you a condensed course on the basics real fast.â€

“A crash course right,†she said following, praying for Alex to hold on. Now if she didn’t make the situation worse.

Alex awoke finding himself still in his armor and on his knees. Trying to figure out what was going on he noticed his left arm was tied by some contraption to the front of his chest with the keypad in full view. Unfortunately his right arm was tied behind his back. He wasn’t sure what this thing was but every time he moved one arm it moved the other at the same time. No matter what he did he couldn’t get around it. “Ah you’re finally awake.†Alex looked up just as Galgamayde threw more of those pebbles at him. “This is not quite as entertaining when you were unconscious.â€

“I thought you wanted to kill me?â€, he said as he continued to struggle.

“That I do human but I wasn’t going to do it in the middle of the street.†Alex looked around as he realized he was in some building somewhere. Galgamayde as he saw the device that had him tied up connected to some sort of ship. He wasn’t sure but it looked like the device was being powered by the ship itself. Then he saw his weapons laying the alien’s feet. “I realize it’s a personal failing,†he continued, “but I always want to kill my target up close and personal. Actually see the life leave their eyes. I’ve tried to correct it but it’s too deeply entrenched into my being.†Grabbing another blaster he shot Alex a couple of more times.

“Ugh,†he grunted, whatever this thing was binding his arms kept him from falling back so he had to take the full effect of the shots.

“But I’m not going to kill you right away,†he added obviously enjoying this. “I want you to suffer like I did when you set me on fire. Maybe I’ll set you on fire as well. Maybe I’ll cut off a limb. Maybe I’ll gouge out one of your eyes.†Getting in Alex’s face the red eye glowed menacingly, “Or perhaps I’ll do all three.â€

“Or not,†a new voice said. Both of them looked to see a nearly petrified Sam stand there, left arm slightly hidden behind her back.

“Get out of here!†Alex shouted.

“I don’t know who you are human,†Galgamayde said as he grabbed one of his blasters and headed toward her, “but this will be the last mistake you will ever make.â€

Trying to portray the courage she didn’t feel she said, “Maybe but I’m going down fighting to save my brother.†That’s when she revealed the six number keypad on her left arm. Galgamayde looked amused as Alex’s jaw dropped behind the helmet. Punching in a code -5-5-4-3- she uttered a very shaking “Online.†A brief flash and she was covered in a red and silver armor that was a little more streamlined than Alex’s

“Let’s see what kind of bite you have human,†Galgamayde said right before he charged,

“NO!â€, Alex shouted again as he struggled harder against his bindings.

Sam ran for her life as Galgamayde fired at her. How in the hell did Alex do this the first time? Wait, he had a gun. Diving for cover she tried to quickly remember what key did what according to Dez and hit the one key –SINGLE GUN- . Grabbing it from her pack she turned round in time to see the assassin lunge at her. She fired on instinct and winged him in the organic shoulder.

“Use the targeting system,†Dez told her.

“Easy for you to say,†she snapped. Galgamayde was on her in the next second. Using his fist to batter her around she kept a death grip on the gun in her hand as she tried to fight back.

“They must be desperate to send a weakling like you,†he taunted after he knocked her to the ground. Stepping on her next he pointed his plaster at her head.

“Let her go you monster!†a desperate Alex screamed.

Galgamayde started to laugh as he stepped off of her. “She’s important to you human. You just gave me something to use against you, to make you suffer just a little more. Now you get to watch as I break her out of that shell and carve out her heart.†Sam crawled away trying to get some room between them. Focusing on the targeting system in her helmet she got a lock and raised her gun. Galgamayde saw her aim and got out of the way of the bolt. Alex barely moved his head to avoid getting shot himself. “That your last shot human?â€, he sneered.

“Good thing I made it count.†Hearing sparks Galgamayde looked at Alex. Then at the sparking connection between him and the ship. She shot it at the base of the ship. With one last effort Alex broke his bindings and ran toward Galgamayde. The alien fired his blaster at him but Alex just kept coming. Sam used the distraction to tackle him from behind as her brother leaped at him. Galgamayde fought both of them off easily. Alex spun from a back hand as Sam grabbed him around the neck. Flipping her over his shoulder Galgamayde’s head snapped around when Alex ran in and punched him. Unsheathing a vibroblade he slashed the Sheriff across the chest.

“DIE!†he screamed as he tried to plunge the blade between the human’s eyes. Alex caught his arms and kicked him in the gut. Galgamayde stumbled back as Sam tried to tackle him again. She grabbed his belt and ripped it off as he knocked her off. He caught Alex in mid leap with another sonic blast that sent him flying back toward the ship. Alarms were screaming at him now that the armor integrity dropped below twenty percent. Sam realized what was in the belt in her hands and poured some of it in her hand.

“Hey lizard face!â€, she yelled and threw the pebbles at him. Covering himself up as little explosions rocked Alex ran for his weapons. Grabbing one of the guns he went for the keypad. –PROTOCAL ZERO- Galgamayde saw him aim and hit something on his chest as he disappeared in a shimmer.

“No you don’t,†Alex grunted as he turned toward the ship.

“Alex wait!†Dez shouted as he pulled the trigger. The massive beam from the gun tore a hole through the length of the ship. Alex stood there keeping the gun pointed at the ship. Somewhere in the back of her mind he realized how Dez sounded.

“He’s not on the ship is he?â€

“He was for a second,†Dez answered, “there was a relay transporting him somewhere else. And we could have used it to track him.â€

“I just destroyed it, didn’t I?†Her silence was all the answer he needed. “God damnit!â€, he shouted as he threw the gun down.

“Alex,†Sam said coming up to him, “Are you okay?â€

“Okay?â€, he asked. “You nearly shot me!â€

“I’m new at this,†she shot back.

“God never do anything that stupid again,†he said pulling her into a hug. “Don’t ever worry me like that again.â€

“Worry you, you’re the one who got his dumbass captured. Do you have any idea what I was going through? Seriously though, are you alright?’

“I will be once I get out of here. Hey lizard face?â€

“It’s the only thing that came to mind.â€

A couple of hours later Sam was in the park waiting for Dez to give Alex a clean bill of health. She had never been so happy to see anybody when he came into view. “I’m assuming everything is in one piece?â€, she asked looking him over.

“Outside of my ears ringing after Dez read me the riot act after not running when she told me to,†he answered.

After a moment of silence Sam pulled out her keypad, “So I guess that leaves the preverbal five hundred pound gorilla in the room. So what do I do now?â€

“It’s up to you Sam,†he said. “If you want give it to me and I’ll hand it over to Dez. Or you can keep it. Dez was right, I was thinking about asking you to be my partner. I just wasn’t sure how or how you would take it.â€

“Why me? I have no idea what I’m doing.â€

“Like I had t this one on me.â€

“I don’t want you doing this,†she told him, “why should I?â€

“Well a real negative reason is Galgamayde is still out there and he knows what we look like now,†he said not looking thrilled at that idea. “And you probably put a target on your back as big as mine. And I don’t think I can always get there in time.â€

“Is there a positive reason?†she asked sitting on a bench, silently cursing that short cut he took.

Alex joined her saying, “You were the only person that popped in my head. I can’t think of anybody else I’d trust watching my back. That and mom said we should do more things together,†he added with a smirk.

“We were ten when she said that.â€

“Better late than never.†She shoved him slightly. Alex looked at her, “Are you in?â€

Sam looked at the keypad in her hand. God she had no idea what she was doing or what to expect. But if Alex thought she could do it. “If I’m going to do this I think I should be the Sheriff and you should be the partner. I am the older sibling after all.â€

“We’re the same age.â€

“I came out of mom first.â€

“By four lousy minutes.â€

“Is it my fault you’re a late starter.†Alex shook his head and started to get up. Sam pulled him back down. “I’m in. And you will live to regret this.â€

“Give it your best shot.†Alex held out a hand that she took, “The team supreme.â€

“Yeah let’s not do that.â€

“You are no fun.â€

-----
-----

S

scikaiju

-----
OP – Downstait – I Came to Play
-----

Being bested by the human one more time was the most humiliating experience he thought he could live through. Then he returned to the boss. The moment he revealed the human Sheriff had a partner he was jumped by the boss’s servants and held in place. As they jammed a cable into his electronic eye the boss decided then to tell him that during his operation he had the surgeons implant a camera into his eye. As they watched what the eye recorded Galgamayde silently swore that he would make the lard ass pay for this, as slowly and as painfully as he could.

The image ending as he teleported out of there before the human could execute Protocol Zero. They let him go and Galgamayde tore the cable from his eye. “This was unexpected,†the droid said as their boss started talking. “There was no sign that the replacement had chosen a partner. Galgamayde did she seem like she had done this before?â€

“No,†he grunted trying to fix the focus on his eye. “She acted like she hadn’t done it before. She was nervous, hesitant in her actions.†He sneered, “Much like how the human was when I first encountered him.†He was going to say something else as he looked at the boss but stopped. His eye was picking up some sort of electrical connection between the boss and the droid. He lost the reading as the eye finally reset itself. What in the hellfire pits was that?

The boss didn’t seem to notice his reaction, “Although you have failed in your primary mission you did secure some valuable information. So I will let you live this time.â€

“So he has a partner huh?†The crowd parted as a massive being with a brown rock like hide came through. “I love partners,†he said with a predatory grin. “They scream so much easier than a Sheriff. Send me after her, she won’t be around long enough to bother anyone else.â€

“An excellent notion Ravenger,†the boss said. “Go, we won’t make the same mistake with this human like we did the first one.†Galgamayde said nothing while this was going on. He was too busy trying to get that reading with the eye again.

Aboard Dez’s station she and Alex watched a Sam went through one of the training programs. This one had her shooting floating targets in the air to improve her aim. After a couple of rounds Dez commented, “She’s catching on faster than you did.â€

Trying not to look annoyed he said, “She always was a fast learner.â€

The simulation ended as the targets and guns faded away and the area was replaced by grid lined room. Sam walked toward them looking satisfied with her performance, “So how am I doing so far?â€

“You’re doing all right,†Alex told her.

“You’re performing above my projections,†Dez said shooting Alex a look. “Are you sure the two of you are related?â€

“That’s what our parents keep telling us,†Sam said. “There are days I have my doubts though, I would like to think a brother of mine would tell me everything that’s going on in his life.â€

“Oh would you let it go,†Alex told her.

“Not in this life time ‘little’ bro.â€

“Four minute,†he shot back.

“Do I have to separate… the… two…,†Dez started to say before she got the look Alex recognized immediately.

“What are you picking up Dez?â€

“A disturbance extraterrestrial in nature, a mile away from your city.†Quickly leaving the training room with the siblings right behind her Dez was at her station in no time. Pulling up the situation she reported, “A Herculean is on a rampage, local authorities are calling for assistance.â€

“They’re probably not going to like the help they’re going to get,†Alex said.

“So he’s in violation of interstellar regulation twenty-seven, right?â€, Sam asked.

“Yes he is,†Dez said before shooting a smug look toward Alex.

“Show off,†he snorted. “You want to come along for this one? Herculeans are always fun.â€

“Maybe next time,†Sam said.

“Suit yourself, see you in a bit.†Alex left the room and in moments Dez announced he was transported planet side.

Alone Sam asked, “Does Alex seem a little choosey on which missions he wants me one to you?â€

“I’m sure he realizes you are still new at this,†Dez told her. “He doesn’t want to put you in a situation you’re not ready for. Alex didn’t have that luxury when he started.â€

“I know,†she said, “and it’s not like I’m asking to be sent after a zero or anything. But I’m supposed to help him right? It seems there’s been a couple of situations so far he could have used me.â€

“I agree,†Dez said surprising her a little. “I confronted him about it once. He claimed that he’s still used to working solo. And he doesn’t want to work as a team in a serious situation, or something to that effect. I couldn’t fault his reasoning, no matter how hard I tried.â€

“It might be a little late,†Sam said, but from personal experience trying to figure out his logic can harm brain cells.â€

“So I’ve noticed,†Dez said as they shared a chuckle. “So do you want to go back home or do you want to try another simulator program?â€

“I’ll try another program,†Sam told her. “I have a lot of catching up to do.â€

The first thing that hit him when he exited the Earth space terminal was the smell. The whole planet smelled dirty to him. He had been on more polluted words but there was something in the air that just offended him. Still he tried not to attract any undue attention to himself, it was a tricky situation to try and sneak onto a planet through a legal terminal with a trench coat as your only disguise. Fortunately he discovered at a young age most species couldn’t tell his people apart from one another. So that would buy him a few extra moment of anonymity. He just had to avoid the public exits, for some reason Sherriff technology could pinpoint him with relative ease.

Having obtained a map of this particular terminal he walked like he knew where he was going. With practiced ease he looked around to see if anybody was watching as he slipped down a side hallway. Like the plans said there was a service exit down it. Studying the door in front of him for any sign of a security system he went to open it. “Hey you,†a security guard said. One obviously not from this planet based on the accent on his tongue. Keeping his back to him the guard approached, “I’m sorry but this part of the terminal isn’t available to the public. I’m going to have to ask you to return to the section that is.†He didn’t move or respond. “Sir did you hear me? You have to return to the public…uh.†There was a shocked expression on his face as Ravenger turned and plunged a laser knife into his chest.

“You made me draw attention to myself,†he snarled. “Now the Sheriff and his partner will know that I’m here before I’m ready for them to know.†Stabbing him four more times in the chest he quickly went out the door before the guard dropped.

The terminal was put on lockdown the moment eh body was discovered. Police had cordoned off the area as forensic and the so called “ET experts†swarmed over the crime scene. Alex got as close as he could as he watched them load the body into an ambulance from where he was. As it was he was more than a little surprised Sam showed up beside him. “What are you doing here?â€

“Dez though you could use an extra set of eye,†she answered. “I think she wanted me to work on my investigative skills too but I think we might have to be a little closer to do that.â€

“Then tell the cops to stop trying to arrest me,†he said. “Whoever this was is some piece of work. I was able to get close enough earlier to overhear the coroner. He was stabbed once here, the four other cuts pretty much severed the arteries coming from and going to the heart.â€

Staring at her brother Sam was stunned at how detached he seemed saying that. He didn’t even look sick at the idea. “Does this sound like somebody’s M.O.?â€

“Dez is looking through the database but isn’t finding anything that matches so far.â€

“And to think I was weirded out when I discovered your stoner thing was an act,†she said outloud.

Alex finally changed expressions, “And what is that supposed to mean?â€

“A guy practically has his heart cut out and you act like it’s old hat.â€

“I’ve seen enough sick freak since I got the armor that I got a thick skin real fast,†he said. She continued to star at him, “What now?â€

“I asked Dez once how you were like on the job,†she said. “This is not how she described you.â€

He glanced at her a few times before saying, “I’m trying to set a good example.â€

“I grew up with you Alex, I know what kind of example you usually set.â€

Alex finally started looking like his old self, “I’m still trying to figure this partner thing out. I know it’s my idea and all but I didn’t really think that far ahead.â€

“Maybe we should ask Dez if there are any teamwork building exercises in the simulator.â€

“I already asked. She said, and I quote ‘You two are siblings, you should already know how to work together’.â€

“She doesn’t know us that well does she?â€, Sam joked. Alex laughed a bit. “But maybe you can help me out with something. I’ve been thinking I should change my wardrobe a bit.â€

“Why would you do that?â€

“I don’t wear that many skirts or dresses but something tells me I shouldn’t with the armor.â€

“That’s probably a good idea, my shorts ride up something fierce when I’m in the suit.â€

“And there’s my brother.â€

The killing of the security guard made him alter his plans more than he was comfortable with. On the other hand a murder out at the spaceport might draw the Sheriff out, and perhaps his target as well. Hanging around the port was a risky move but it wouldn’t have been the first one he has made in his lifetime. Keeping close to the exit he used his surrounding to avoid the local authorities as he searched nearby for any sign of the two of them. Using the binocular he had hidden away in his coat he spotted a pair of human hanging out just beyond the outskirts of the activities. Zooming in he got a clear look at their faces. Hitting a switch on the side he pulled up the images that wretch Galgamayde recorded. It was a perfect match. Now it would begin.

It took some doing but Sam finally convinced Alex that they should split up and search he areas for some clues. Even Dez said it would increase their chance of them finding something. Making her promise that she would keep the keypad on her arm at all times he let her go. After a few minutes she started to think this might have not been the best idea since she had no idea what to look for. “Neither did Alex,†Dez said after telling her this,â€and if Orion is to be believed neither did he when he first started out. It’s an ability you have to learn to develop over time.â€

“Maybe if he had me go along on something like this sooner,†she softly said. Some movement caught her attention. Somebody in a trench coat walked into a hanger. It looked like whoever it was stopped and made sure she saw him before entering. “Dez I think I saw something, I’m going to check it out.â€

“I’ll let Alex know,†Dez said.

“Just tell him to standby, it might be nothing.†Why didn’t she believe what just came out of her mouth? Getting close to the hanger she couldn’t see anybody inside. Checking closely before entering she didn’t go far before spotting the trench coat thrown into the corner.

“I was hoping it would be you.†Sam turned around to Ravenger stand on the wing of one of the planes. “Now I don’t have to through the Sheriff to get to you.†He jumped down to the floor. “Why don’t you suit otherwise this will be over too quickly for this to be any fun.†He lifted a pole that became an energy ax in his hands.

Sam imputed her activation code trying not to show any fear. -5-5-4-3- “On…,†in the space between seconds the keypad expanded to cover her upper body then her lower body then finally her head, “…line!†Her eyes seemed to glow a bit as he attacked her.

On the other side of the terminal Dez contacted Alex on his keypad, “Alex, Sam ran into the murderer.â€

“I’m on my way,†he said turning around. Damn he should have headed over there as soon as Dez told him.

“It’s worse than I thought,†she continued. “I identified him, his name is Ravenger and Protocol Zero has been authorized. Alex he specializes in killing partners.†He ran faster than he thought he could the moment he heard that. -5-7-1-6-

Sam jumped out of the way of that ax one more time. All the cracks in the concrete floor and plane fuselages showed she had been lucky so far. But it would run out eventually. Seeing the ax raised over his head over his head one more time she hit the four on her keypad. –SHIELD- On her right forearm a two and a half foot disc appeared that she got up to block the strike. The impact still drove her to a knee. Still it was enough to give her time to hit the three key. –STAFF- Grabbing a small rod from her pack it extended into a five foot staff automatically that she smashed it into his knee. “I knew you had some fight in you,†Ravenger said with a sick grin.

“Bite me,†she grunted as she swung again. Ravenger grabbed it and tossed her across the hanger. Dropping the staff she ran at him smashing the edge of the shield into his face. Ravenger stumbled back from the blow. Sam jumped up and kicked him in the back. When he turned back around she smashed the shield into his face again. Dez told her that Protocol Zero was authorized. She went for the zero key wanting to end this quick. She hesitated thinking about what she was about to do. That moment was long enough for Ravenger to grab her by the neck and throw her.

“You had your chance,†he said. She tried to protect herself from the repeated blows with her shield. It finally became too much as the shield broke and he kicked her to the ground. Stepping on her left forearm he sneered, “Did you really think we would give you a chance to adjust like we did the Sheriff?†He raised the ax over his head.

-DOUBLE GUN- -RAPID FIRE-

Ravenger didn’t have time to react as he was assaulted by energy shots. Alex walked forward holding down the triggers until he finally stepped off his sister. “I hear you have a thing for killing partners,†he said holstering the guns. “That say you can’t handle the main event.†He waved him on with a couple of fingers.

“I’ll show you what or who I can take!â€, Ravenger charged in and started swinging.

“Strike one!â€, Alex taunted as he ducked a shot at his head. Raising the ax over head Alex avoided a blow meant to split him in half, “Strike two!†Sam saw him hit a key on his pad. –SWORD- The metal blade blocked the energy one mid swing, “Wanna guess what happens on three?â€

“Die!â€, Ravenger screamed as he pushed the Sheriff away.

“What are you a Herculean?â€, he said as they clashed blades. Somewhere in the fight Alex reversed his grip in the sword’s handle. Kicking Ravenger away he hit zero. –PROTOCOL ZERO- Keeping the blade behind him as it started to glow he ran at Ravenger and swung with everything he had. He tried to block it with his ax but the energized blade easily sliced through it and him. After a moment Ravenger disintegrated leaving only the two of them

One more time Sam stared at her brother, “That’s why you never took me on one of these. You knew I’d hesitate when it came time to do it.â€

“It’s not that,†Alex told her. “I was pretty much thrown into the deep end when I got the armor. I’m trying to ease you into things. And I didn’t know you would hesitate, I should have I did enough times.â€

“But it didn’t look like you thought twice when you zeroed him.â€

“And how freaked out do you think I was when I realized I was doing that?†Deactivating the armor Alex finally told her, “I guess I was trying to protect you a little bit too. Zeroing a guy doesn’t just weigh on you Sam it changes you a little too. Not in a good way. I don’t want it changing you anytime soon.â€

“Thanks for the concern Alex but I’m going to have to face it sooner or later if I’m going to do this.â€

Alex hung his head a bit knowing she was righton, let’s get out of here before the cops show up.â€

A couple of days later Alex showed up and Sam’s apartment with a pizza box in hand. Smiling a bit he took out the keypad and said, “We’re ready on this end Dez.†In moments they went from her apartment to Dez’s station.

Dez looked at the cardboard box with some trepidation as Alex sat it down and opened it. “Is it safe for consumption?â€

“That’s going to depend on your definition of safe,†Sam said.

“Please this is heaven in a box,†Alex insisted as he took a slice. “And might I add the perfect way to celebrate the birth of the team supreme.â€

“I said we weren’t calling ourselves that,†Sam reminded him.

“I’m the Sheriff so I get two votes. And I outvoted you so thereâ€, and with that he stuck his tongue out at her.

“Oh grow up,†Sam told him.

“Make me,†Alex shot back. Dez watched the two of them wondering, not for the first time, if this was a good idea after all.

-----
-----