[Anime] Dragon Ball is finally back FOR REAL THIS TIME.......new anime confirmed

I saw Dragon Ball before DBZ. I first saw the Pilaf dub produced by Funimation and Ocean back in 1997.
 
And I've just recently started original Dragon Ball. Toei just made my road to the finish even longer:laugh:

Good luck with "the 5 min battle of SSJ Goku and Frieza"...

I saw Dragon Ball before DBZ. I first saw the Pilaf dub produced by Funimation and Ocean back in 1997.

Watched the Japanese dub and Funimation dub... heard Ocean called every special attack Kamehameha for some reason... any reason to re-watch Z/GT again in Pilaf/Ocean dubs?
 
Honestly, sorry to be a party pooper but I can't be excited about this.

I hate revivals or continuations of stories that, in all honesty, should have ended a long time ago. The original Dragonball Z manga ended in a good place, there was really nothing left to do with this universe or these characters. That was one of the main reasons GT didn't work--the very premise of doing a sequel to Z was inherently flawed and would have been even if GT hadn't been so badly executed.

I never even watched the new movies, because honestly, why should I care? The show is over. It's done. Doing more now feels like... well I'll tell you exactly what it is: its pandering to nostalgia. Just like everything in the entertainment industry is doing lately. Imagine Amuro Ray being a wheelchair-bound old codger in his 90s but they tell him to pilot a Gundam because they don't trust this new kid to do it, and then they further say its the original Gundam because they think it'll do better than new models, and yeah, that's where we are right now.

To me, Kai proved how dead DBZ was. It wasn't even really a new anime--they literally just took the same footage from the original DBZ and gave it a new coat of paint, edited a lot of scenes out, and converted it to widescreen--ironically all of these being things Funimation had been criticized for when they did it, but for some reason people were okay with Toei doing it. Whatever. Point is the show was so transparently an effortless cash grab that it was sad that people ate it up.

Besides, we just had a revival of Toei's other 90s hit, Sailor Moon, and OH YEAH that one sucked dragon balls.

Sorry to rant, just I'm so sick of old things coming back. Good stories are good because they end. Lord of the Rings would not have been half as fantastic if Tolkien had given in to demand and wrote a cash-in sequel, and with Dragonball its been shown that trying to go beyond the original manga does more harm than good.
DragonBall Z was originally going to end with the Cell saga, but then Toriyama decided (can't remember the reason) to continue it with the Buu saga. GT is the same monster, and if anything, is the one that tried to "bank on nostalgia" the most by turning Goku into a little kid.
Lord of the Rings is a sequel to The Hobbit, though not entirely direct and definitely not done for money.

Hate to be the guy that says this but if you don't want to see the story continue, then don't see it.
All I'm saying is that this isn't the first time DragonBall has continued a story that's supposed to be "finished."

It's really a 50/50 thing when they try to continue "finished" stories. Sometimes the end result is fantastic, others it just falls short and looks like a forced attempt to make cash. I'm glad to say that most of the times they've done an effort to not disrespect the original so much, more like glorifying and continuing it.
 
Really with Dragon Ball its almost better to ignore the anime entirely and just read the manga. Things like the drawn out battles aren't as bad in manga form. Though you do miss out on some sweet music in the Japanese versions.

You also get to skip all the anime-only [not counting filmbooks] expansions. I mean yes, that means fan favorites like Bojack get a pass (and the Bardock TV special was actually canon) and I kinda wish GT's version of Pan were canon in some ways, but... well, whatever. I have a strong core story and from there the rest can exist in my imagination. That's how I like it.

I can't help being pessimistic. People were all excited for Sailor Moon Crystal too, and... literally the only thing it had going for it was "its closer to the manga." Which doesn't make it superior to the old anime, not all by itself. The execution was still lifeless and the art style and direction felt like a high school anime, which horribly clashed with the fact that its a magical girl sentai. With new expansions to old material, there's always this promise that they'll somehow right old wrongs, but they often have a complete "must change EVERYTHING!" attitude that ends up even throwing out the things the older works did right. Like the 2002 He-Man, which promised more mature stories than the 1983 toon, totally didn't deliver, and on top of that actually cut out most of the depth and mythology that was present originally. Don't even get me started on how Hollywood has bastardized the work of Tolkien (the Tolkien estate has gone on record as hating the movie versions, even).

I'm sure when GT was new, it had people looking forward to it as well. In fact I've met people who at one point liked it, but then turned on it because it was no longer "canon." There's a lesson in that.
 
Really with Dragon Ball its almost better to ignore the anime entirely and just read the manga. Things like the drawn out battles aren't as bad in manga form.

You also get to skip all the anime-only [not counting filmbooks] expansions. I mean yes, that means fan favorites like Bojack get a pass (and the Bardock TV special was actually canon) and I kinda wish GT's version of Pan were canon in some ways, but... well, whatever. I have a strong core story and from there the rest can exist in my imagination. That's how I like it.
Choose your own canon. Nothing wrong with that.

Though you do miss out on some sweet music in the Japanese versions
I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone of Shunsuke Kikuchi, who also composed the music for nearly all Kamen Rider series in the 70's. I hope he returns for this. Love his style. There's something very visceral about it.

I can't help being pessimistic. People were all excited for Sailor Moon Crystal too, and... literally the only thing it had going for it was "its closer to the manga." Which doesn't make it superior to the old anime, not all by itself. The execution was still lifeless and the art style and direction felt like a high school anime, which horribly clashed with the fact that its a magical girl sentai. With new expansions to old material, there's always this promise that they'll somehow right old wrongs, but they often have a complete "must change EVERYTHING!" attitude that ends up even throwing out the things the older works did right. Like the 2002 He-Man, which promised more mature stories than the 1983 toon, totally didn't deliver, and on top of that actually cut out most of the depth and mythology that was present originally. Don't even get me started on how Hollywood has bastardized the work of Tolkien (the Tolkien estate has gone on record as hating the movie versions, even).
I was mostly talking about continuations of the stories and seeing characters in new situations rather than the overall tone they take, though that is important too. Also, some of those cases you mentioned are different because they are either remakes or adaptations. I was not referring to the manga specifically, and neither to how the anime compares to it. But hey, if you feel there's unnecessary filler in there you can just skip it too, it's not an uncommon practice.

Don't get me started on that either. Though, I think it was just Christopher who said he hated them and not the entire estate.

I'm sure when GT was new, it had people looking forward to it as well. In fact I've met people who at one point liked it, but then turned on it because it was no longer "canon." There's a lesson in that.
I like GT, and I've always felt I'm in the minority there. I dislike certain aspects, but overall it's fine to me. The one great thing I liked is the Dragons that spawned from each Dragon Ball. It really made the title have a lot more meaning, and end in a fulfilling note as the finale of the saga revolved around the Dragon Balls.
 
Found an update to DBS openings and endings...

jnetworkonline.com/2015/05/22/dragon-ball-super-opening-and-ending-songs-revealed
 
Meh, it's dragon ball z. Pretty standard episode. Expect stuff that'll divided people that love DBZ and people that think it's nonsense.
 
Meh, it's dragon ball z. Pretty standard episode. Expect stuff that'll divided people that love DBZ and people that think it's nonsense.

Correction, it's not DBZ. :P It's Dragon Ball Super. Z only encompasses the anime adaptation from the Saiyan to the Boo-Sagas, basically? =B
 
I like it so far.
At least it looks more promising than GT.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top