Decade: Horrid Continuity Porn or Awesome Fan Service

Do you think Decade was nothing but a series of needless, badly written Continuity nod's or is it a good example of how to do Fan Service with a cool concept?
 
It struck me as an experiment in seeing if audiences would accept the a crossover-style superhero plot in an ongoing series. You see this plot in Japanese video games very frequently, but rarely in any other media except occasional manga.

So, as far as that goes, I will have a bit of respect for Decade for actually breaking new ground in Rider and Tokusatsu. Nobody's had the audacity to do this sort of thing before for as long as 30 episodes. Yeah, the execution was botched, but it was based on a type of story that always ends up with a lot of warts and shortcomings.
 
I'm Neutral on this...the series was "decent"...but the big turn off was the Pink Jesus Allegory Kamen Rider being an unstoppable juggernaut to the point that not even the kitchen sink could hurt him. Their should of also been like a quick cameo card hand off or something. Like a recognizable character from the show to tell Decade that he's the new rider of their world.

Agito -> V1 or G3-Mild gives him the Agito Cards
Ryuki -> Alternative, Yui, or Shiro gives him the Ryuki Cards
Faiz -> Naoya or Keitaro, or even a Riotrooper gives him the Faiz Cards
Blade -> Taiyaki Ultimate Form or Kotaro gives him the Blade Cards
Hibiki -> Disk Animals, Oni no Yoroi, Kogure, or Ichiro gives him the Hibiki Cards
Kabuto -> ZECTrooper gives him the Kabuto Cards
Den-O -> Any of the Taros or Owner gives him the Den-O Cards
Kiva -> The Arms Monsters or Sagarc gives him the Kiva Cards

...something like that.:sweat:
 
I'm gonna fall "in the middle" or neutral category because I do like Decade the series, but I hate the storyline execution (or lack thereof because "Decade has no story").

With better writers, and maybe a longer length of time for the series, Decade WOULD HAVE been better.

Fanservice wise.......Decade was decent and did everything it wanted to do to give something for fans OLD and NEW to like.

Storyline wise.......what story? Ask Wataru what Decade's story was then come back to me on that one
 
I think Decade was if anything a little longer than it needed to be. The writing just needed to make better use of its time toward the end. The first trip through the Heisei worlds was entertaining and pitch-perfect, the Faiz arc's confused priorities aside.
 
Y'know, I liked the appearance of past Riders being shown through Decade but the execution of the plot for each world could've been done a lot better.

So yeah, I'm an inbetween guy.
 
Basically it went downhill after the Heisei Rider journey because the original writer left and Yonemura took over and didn't quite execute the ideas that the original writer set out. I'm sorta thinking that Complete form was never planned for Decade at the start but Bandai stepped in. But I was glad they didn't use that form for his destruction path because it would've made Natsumi's dreams out of continuity.

After the 9 worlds they basically had no idea what to do next except for the fact that Decade needed to eventually accept his role and destroy everything to connect everything.

Although, some of the original ideas left behind was still executed, Decade eventually fought Ultimate Kuuga at the end and destroys everything and then everything was reborn for example.

Although what would've been better was actually making Yuusuke a character that is very close to Tsukasa as the series went on and then their destined battle should've been very emotional and heartbreaking for both of them. Except they kinda ruined his character when the new guy took over.


I'm pretty sure the original idea for Yuusuke was a inspiratonal figure to everyone and a person who would do anything for their friends especially Tsukasa. That idea kinda dropped after Agito's world because after that world was when the new writers took over.
 
I'm sorta thinking that Complete form was never planned for Decade at the start but Bandai stepped in.

I am inclined to agree with this. It never made a whole lot of sense to me that a guy in a 30-episode series who starts out able to go toe-to-toe with Ultimate Kuuga needs an upgrade.

I'm pretty sure the original idea for Yuusuke was a inspiratonal figure to everyone and a person who would do anything for their friends especially Tsukasa.

You know, this is also the point in the show when they stop bothering to explain why Yuusuke isn't transforming and fighting a lot, too. Instead he becomes comic relief when he starts the show out as something of Tsukasa's conscience.
 
Basically it went downhill after the Heisei Rider journey because the original writer left and Yonemura took over and didn't quite execute the ideas that the original writer set out. I'm sorta thinking that Complete form was never planned for Decade at the start but Bandai stepped in. But I was glad they didn't use that form for his destruction path because it would've made Natsumi's dreams out of continuity.

After the 9 worlds they basically had no idea what to do next except for the fact that Decade needed to eventually accept his role and destroy everything to connect everything.

Although, some of the original ideas left behind was still executed, Decade eventually fought Ultimate Kuuga at the end and destroys everything and then everything was reborn for example.

Although what would've been better was actually making Yuusuke a character that is very close to Tsukasa as the series went on and then their destined battle should've been very emotional and heartbreaking for both of them. Except they kinda ruined his character when the new guy took over.


I'm pretty sure the original idea for Yuusuke was a inspiratonal figure to everyone and a person who would do anything for their friends especially Tsukasa. That idea kinda dropped after Agito's world because after that world was when the new writers took over.

There was a lot **** in the later episodes of Decade that didn't look like it was planned ahead of time........with the exception of Shinkenger World, Toei was planning that **** from the start for both shows.

"All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker" should have been the finale and/or The Rider War itself, not randomly place it somewhere in the middle of the later arc of Decade only to have the Rider War and Amazon World appear out of nowhere.

The problem with the storyline execution was indeed the fact that they never planned this **** all the way, which is basically the common issue with 90% of the head writers for the last 8-9 Heisei Kamen Rider series.

Inoue, Yonemura, Aikawa, etc..........those guys that written Kabuto, Blade, Agito, Faiz, and everything before Kamen Rider W have had a common issue of not preparing themselves ahead of time. But I believe the common reason for that is b/c Bandai keeps butting in during the run of a Kamen Rider series and pushing suggestions to Toei that make them say "Oh look, money."
 
Decade was an unabashed party: you likely either joined in or called the cops to complain. It was big, loud, dumb, and more than a little drunk. But it was some of the most fun I've had watching Kamen Rider in a long time, and it did things which I never thought I'd see before 2009.

It had a level of confidence to it that I have to praise; the show was a mini-celebration of all Kamen Rider smuggled into a Heisei 10th Anniversary, and I don't particularly mind (Amazon World is, after all, one of my favorite stories of the whole series, and All Riders, for all its flaws, is definitely in my top 5 now.) I love the high-concept ideas. I think in a way Decade's core idea is much, much bigger than the show. Too big I think, but it still gave it a shot.

I once compared it to a three-legged dog attempting to jump for a bone: it might land on its ass, but you have to admire it for having the guts to try.

So yeah, I loved it.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top