Lurker
Being confused with my tabs for second, I thought this was a topic about the Japanese Fighting Games player. I was going to post a snarky "Ikr! Japan, nerf pls"

It is.

Especially this part.

EDIT: I mean, you could at least explain why you think so, so we have something to discuss.

Yeah, I'm sorry I haven't explained myself quite well. I just started here and this was the first thing that I wanted to discuss

ANYWAY

I feel like because of the various different arms he now has access to because of carnival, the other characters feel somewhat useless and are pretty much there for backup. Earlier episodes in the show I felt had the whole team join in to defeat the MOW and do the finisher themselves. BUT I feel like that Daigo has been the only one fighting... well? I guess is the word to use.

I have gone back and seen episode 30 and, yes I do feel that they have brought the team a little closer, but he still did a majority of the effective fighting.

Yet again, I am sorry if I sound unfounded on my views, I am not too sure of them myself and its just kind of a gut feeling I have.

Chief HJU News Editor
Carnival mode had come when the team needed something to win a fight because they couldn't win, which is fine, but the following episodes have had plot focus about the team getting it's arse kicked, a new villain whose incredibly powerful and Torin 'backstabbing' them (and being completely lost). I think it's just because those episodes happened one after another that people seem to be noticing it. I'd like to think it'll just sort itself out in the next couple of episodes.

Daigo's not really any different than the regular Red who is the only one to get a power up on the team, but it's been a few years since we've had one that some fans seem to have forgotten or not even seen those shows.

Carnival mode had come when the team needed something to win a fight because they couldn't win, which is fine, but the following episodes have had plot focus about the team getting it's arse kicked, a new villain whose incredibly powerful and Torin 'backstabbing' them (and being completely lost). I think it's just because those episodes happened one after another that people seem to be noticing it. I'd like to think it'll just sort itself out in the next couple of episodes.

Daigo's not really any different than the regular Red who is the only one to get a power up on the team, but it's been a few years since we've had one that some fans seem to have forgotten or not even seen those shows.

I think this applies to me the most since I'm relatively new to sentai. Also maybe the point you made about the episodes of them focusing on getting beaten up or being backstabbed or Daigo becoming powered up may be the reason why I feel he is too overpowered.

But that is an odd trend that the dinosaur themed sentai had Red power up, did abaranger have this problem with Red as well or was it resolved?

Red only power ups are extremely rare in Sentai though. The Red often ends up stronger than the others in plot relevant episodes, but that rarely means an actual power up that makes the red stronger all the time. It becomes obvious if you follow Power Rangers too, which actually gives a Red exclusive power up almost every time since In Space.

I think this applies to me the most since I'm relatively new to sentai. Also maybe the point you made about the episodes of them focusing on getting beaten up or being backstabbed or Daigo becoming powered up may be the reason why I feel he is too overpowered.

But that is an odd trend that the dinosaur themed sentai had Red power up, did abaranger have this problem with Red as well or was it resolved?

Yep. The last one with an actual red-only upgrade was I think Deka (which was movie only). Shinkenger had 2 upgrades which Red used exclusively unless he was feeling particularly generous. While Gekiranger's pseudo-ending was basically "Only Red can defeat Rio because the only way you can get the Body is by being born with it. You can obtain the Heart and Technique later."

Of the recent Sentai, only Go-busters didn't have a particularly extra emphasis on Red, but practically every Sentai has that red emphasis.

Yep. The last one with an actual red-only upgrade was I think Deka (which was movie only). Shinkenger had 2 upgrades which Red used exclusively unless he was feeling particularly generous. While Gekiranger's pseudo-ending was basically "Only Red can defeat Rio because the only way you can get the Body is by being born with it. You can obtain the Heart and Technique later."

Of the recent Sentai, only Go-busters didn't have a particularly extra emphasis on Red, but practically every Sentai has that red emphasis.

Huh maybe I think Daigo is overpowered because its the first non-exceptional sentai I have seen.

THEN AGAIN

Gokiager and Zyuranger had a heavier emphasis on red rather than the whole team

SO I guess its a problem with sentai in general that Red is overemphasised

EDIT: Any of you guys have an idea why its like this? Or hell how to fix it

Disappear into light!!
KyoryuGold was in the episode just to be defeated by Dogold. Ian was knocked to the ground even faster. Then Daigo goes Carnival and keeps up with him, even if he doesn't beat him. Comes monster time, the only thing that other members of the team did was getting beaten up and giving their batteries to Daigo.

And this episode's plot wasn't even supposed to be about Daigo. It focused on Amy and Souji, and yet he mostly took over during the battle.

Your point is that Daigo and Carnival shouldn't have taken over for the fight scene. Then the opponent they're facing should've been a MotW, because given what happened to Dogold in the last episode, it would have been really contrived for the Kyoryuugers to be able to even stand against him without any leverage. But then, people would've criticize the episode for not continuing the ongoing plot ie Dogold taking over Endolf and becoming exponentially stronger.

It's all right for Carnival to take the spotlight for said episode since it's a fight against Dogold. If future episodes have Carnival taking the spotlight in other character's focus episodes, and the enemy they fight doesn't even warrant it, also they can't get away without having an extra powerful boss fight, then I'll agree with you.

Gokiager and Zyuranger had a heavier emphasis on red rather than the whole team

SO I guess its a problem with sentai in general that Red is overemphasised

EDIT: Any of you guys have an idea why its like this? Or hell how to fix it

Even though Sentai shows are supposed to be a team show, being Red basically means being the lead protagonist. Being the lead and the most important in a team show would warrant having something other members don't, or basically being more special in some way(or else why are you the supposed main hero, why is it not the guy next to you). And yes, get more emphasis. It is in every Sentai show even if Red didn't get an exclusive power up(he still will get the most emphasis) except if the show pointedly try to avoid it like in Go-Busters.

LOL I myself am not sure if it's something to be fixed. Especially when talking about hero shows. I mean, Go-Buster avoided that and look what happened. People were complaining that Hiromu is terrible Red and why isn't Ryuuji(Blue Buster) Red. They tried not to give Red extra emphasis, and he ends up being overshadowed by more active and likable characters, thus missing the point of him being Red.

I don't know about overemphasizing Reds, but I don't think emphasizing Reds more than the rest is not something that is simply supposed to be avoided.

Last edited:
I liked him when he wasn't a god
I don't think it will ever be "fixed." It's always been a key feature of the franchise that Red is the leader, the hero, the most powerful, gets all the attention etc. There's a few shows like Jetman (where Black Condor is wildly popular and got a lot more focus than most non-Reds), Gekiranger (where the villains got more screen time than any of the team except Jan), Kakuranger and Timeranger (which had a female team leader who got some presence in the show, even though Red was still the focus) that are slightly less heavy about it.

Although the absolute worst example I've ever seen of a show being dominated by its Red is Power Rangers Mystic Force. I don't think a Sentai has ever been as bad as that.

Your point is that Daigo and Carnival shouldn't have taken over for the fight scene. Then the opponent they're facing should've been a MotW, because given what happened to Dogold in the last episode, it would have been really contrived for the Kyoryuugers to be able to even stand against him without any leverage. But then, people would've criticize the episode for not continuing the ongoing plot ie Dogold taking over Endolf and becoming exponentially stronger.

KyoryuGold also was supposed to be stronger than everyone else too. KyoryuGold by himself keeping up with a powered up Dogold would have made perfect sense, no need to drag Daigo there. And it's not just that battle. When the monster of the week appeared, the role of the other Kyoryuger became just to give batteries to Daigo.

There's a difference between Sentai's standard Red focus and what's going on here. Gokaiger had Red focus. GokaiRed beat Basco after his entire team was defeated by him, but he didn't go around taking over battles in episodes that weren't even focused on him.