Curiosity times a million, I'm watching Megaranger!

The BBC has at several points sold sound effect collections to other TV production companies - basically hours worth of sound effects that they've created over the years and have stuck on CD for other companies to buy and use (they wanted to monetise their vast library of the things).

Well, at least they didn't have Andros there to say they are passing the Galifrey Galaxy. :laugh:
 
I just finished episode 18, and you know what I really liked about it? The little moments, the little character bits with Mr. Oiwa, Chisato, and Miku, the episode wasn't about them in the slightest but their character shined through anyway, and that's a sign of really good writing right there. Oh, and the main plot of the episode was pretty well done too, though this is the second time now that a meteorite was heavily involved, and both times involved Kouichiro as the focus character. An odd coincidence.
 
I can't help but feel that MegaRanger 39 would have worked better as a Mega Black episode.

Kouichirou is this super straight laced everything by the book person, that him slipping up and getting photographed while transforming would have had more of an impact as opposed to it actually happening to Kenta, who is more... aloof, and it is a situation one might expect him to get himself into.
 
Up on episode 24 now, and thus have now met Hayakawa Yuusaku, AKA MegaSilver. First impression? He is a gigantic dweeb who can at best only contain his dweebitude for 2.5 minutes before that dweebishness bursts through.

I think I'm going to like him.
 
So I just finished the last episode and if you think I'm crying don't cause I'm so not! This damn show was amazing. I think it's my favorite season now. Just one thing I don't understand...why did only MegaYellow have the Blade Arm attack?
 
The last 10 episodes of MegaRanger have got to be some of the greatest episodes of Sentai that I have ever seen.

While the show as a whole always seemed to walk the tightrope of never being too comedic or too serious, in those final 10 episodes, things got real.

A multi episode long story arc in which the MegaRangers continually fail to rescue kidnapped civilians, get their identities discovered, and then are practically run out of school and have their homes targeted.

One thing I've really enjoyed about MFC's subs is that they sub all the writer, director, producer credits, and to my surprise, Yashuko Kobayashi was quite active during those final ten episodes.

This being surprising to me because she was the head writer of the following series, Gingaman, so I would have assumed that after a certain point, she would focus just on that series. But considering she wrote an anime series while also doing Go-Busters, maybe I really shouldn't be too shocked by this.

What was shocking, though, is that the final episode was not written by the head writer, so I wonder what happened, there.

I have to wonder what the point of Dr. Hinelar's monster form was, since it lasted all of three minutes. Well, it gave Power Rangers Lost Galaxy a suit to use?

The ending wrap-up was totally cheesy, but I'd be a liar if I said it didn't make me a little teary eyed.

Finishing this series really makes me appreciate the MegaRanger tribute in Gokaiger even more.
 
Man, you guys are really getting me to want to watch the subs, but I'm so busy at the moment it wouldn't be worth it. Hell, I watched the first four episodes of GoGoV two weeks ago with the intention of watching more and I Have yet to do so.
 
This being surprising to me because she was the head writer of the following series, Gingaman, so I would have assumed that after a certain point, she would focus just on that series. But considering she wrote an anime series while also doing Go-Busters, maybe I really shouldn't be too shocked by this.

What was shocking, though, is that the final episode was not written by the head writer, so I wonder what happened, there.

Yeah, this was one of the most interesting things to come out of working on Megaranger. The credits made a certain pattern very apparent. Almost all of the poorest-written episodes were those helmed by head writer Junki Takegami, while the best-written tended to come from Yasuko Kobayashi. I would be willing to bet that producer Takatera eventually got fed up with Takegami's tendency to phone things in, and decided he'd rather Kobayashi handle the ending. If so, I can't blame him.

Back in this era of Sentai, staff tended to carry over almost intact from year-to-year, rather than the current system of swapping out most of the creative staff. It really gives the impression that Takatera gave Kobayashi the head writer nod for Gingaman in recognition of her work on Megaranger, since Takatera also returned to produce Gingaman. At the time, it was probably expected for staff to juggle pre-production on one show while wrapping up production on their current show.
 
I would be willing to bet that producer Takatera eventually got fed up with Takegami's tendency to phone things in, and decided he'd rather Kobayashi handle the ending. If so, I can't blame him.

That definitely would shed more light on the situation if it did happen; though just chiming in that Arakawa penned 51; not YasuKob.
 
I'm curious as to how Arakawa ended up with the final episode. Didn't he typically do episodes that could be considered filler episodes?

And this is something I've never exactly been too clear on: When exactly does pre-production start on these shows? At what point would Kobayashi juggle her Gingaman scripts with her MegaRanger ones?
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top