Well, the popular thing is now Sentai is viewed as a Japanese drama -- so who knows these days.

I find it annoying to see Sentai popping up in my jdrama communities. There was always that line and now it doesn't exist anymore, its really, really annoying.

To me, Power Rangers is one thing. Sentai is another. Japanese dramas is something entirely different.

Why people always want to break down the barriers, I have no clue.

I know its friggen annoying...

Lurker
Well, sometimes when you're describing what the show is, you just say "Japanese Power Rangers.......BUTALOTCOOLERANDMOREMATUREITSREALLYAWESOME!" It's just a quick way of setting the base on what the show is, but then you try to quickly explain why it's not lame.

Though I will admit when I talk to my brother about a particular series, he doesn't know all the names yet, so I have to "translate" for him so he knows which suits to think of. Like I'll be talking about Gaoranger and he just pauses and looks and me and I'd have to be like "::sigh::...Wild Force". Granted he knows you can't compare PR to Sentai, it's just his way of getting to know what's called what.

Continuing the Creddie legacy
I see Sentai the way it is, but sometimes, I call PR Sentai back home because All I did was to "Translate" the phrases (ex. "SPD, Emergency!" as "Emergency, Dekaranger!" and so on), because the US version irritates me when I started on Sentai during 2003.

the baddest *****
I mean, fandoms has always had those lines. Power Rangers had its own group of fans, Super Sentai had their own group, and Japanese Dramas had their own group. Now because their favorite drama actor is staring in tokusatsu its automatically thrown in the same pile as shows from nightly dramas that's like " Uh wut? "

I know, technically, Sentai is a "drama" but drama is also a term used for any show that features actors acting in a live action. Then there's "variety", music shows, talk shows, and anime.

So I won't accept this new acceptance in sentai "fandom" that shows like Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, Ultraman, etc etc are Japanese dramas.

Just like I won't accept that sentai is Power Rangers. They're two seperate shows in the end.

Lurker
I guess I do since terms like Morphing, Rangers, and Zords bug the hell out of me when I see people describing stuff that happened in Sentai.

I really have no real attachment to power rangers other than when I saw up to Lost Galaxy back when they were on Fox Kids. Up until 2006 or so I thought that the American franchise died out until I was flipping through the channels and saw whatever they made Magiranger into and what I saw of it was extremely lame.

So yeah I agree with what's been said before in my mind Sentai is one thing and PR is something else.

Jetman was the first to bring intense drama into sentai. Right?
You know I think that's been done way before Jetman.

Mad Skillz
I've always seen Sentai as Sentai, there's nothing wrong with calling them rangers since that's what they are, it's in the title, I don't really see people refer to them as senshi too often. The only things that really bother me are the "morphing" and "zord" comments.

As for the whole drama thing, admittedly, I have no idea what constitutes the proper definition of drama, but it doesn't bother me too much. I just consider them tokusatsu drama, and I guess others like to consider them straight up J-Drama since they can't accept they may like kids shows. D:
Jetman was the first to bring intense drama into sentai. Right?
Not even close.

the baddest *****
and I guess others like to consider them straight up J-Drama since they can't accept they may like kids shows. D: Not even close.

I guess that could be the main reason because I got into an argument on livejournal when I pointed it out -- they got offended I called Kamen Rider a children's show.

Well it can't be helped b/c many people watched PR before any sentai series also much easier to refer the characters as rangers instead, but sentai a lot better then PR b/c PR getting worst and worst from disney.