The World Warrior
If it's the national average then how are we all getting above the national average? Shouldn't at least one of us be...average?

As douchebaggery as this may sound, some are either lying or they took the test twice or more. ...and no, I'm not saying that because some results are higher. I just find some of these results incredibly hard to believe, even my own. Feel free to disagree with me, because it won't offend me, nor do I really care...

:supersayin:

Last edited:
Why is every good TV show Cancelled
I, the writer, got 221.:redface2:

Honestly, though, it's not a mobile supported site, so I had to resize my screen to fit the text- that, & I'm out taking a walk, so I had to focus harder to see the screen from the smaller text that was shaking every time I took a step... I'm going to try again when I have the ability to focus more.

I don't read like I used to, anymore though. Unless I get a new book that really holds my interest, I only read during my breaks at work, which is only an hourr & a half a few days a week- & my comprehension level is lower because I literally can't hear myself think over some of those cashiers.

Last edited:
Fixed- 479 wpm, 92% higher than national average- & got all three questions right.

As douchebaggery as this may sound, some are either lying or they took the test twice or more. ...and no, I'm not saying that because some results are higher. I just find some of these results incredibly hard to believe, even my own. Feel free to disagree with me, because it won't offend me, nor do I really care...

Erm, if the test is based on something like a national average (yeah, being US-centric here), then it probably takes into account all literacy levels. I'd assume people reading and posting on a forum are able to read faster than people who don't touch a book after high school.

Not that I think reading speed directly correlates with literacy! But there is some correlation, so I'm not surprised a lot of people are 'above average'.
Now, I'm not sure how accurate these reading levels are either. I'm still a little :shakefist that my reading isn't on par with college students.

n/s
Third time around, just for fun but not recommended. I only got 2 out of 3 questions correctly.

[HIDE]You read 4,905 words per minute.
That makes you 1,862% faster than the national average.[/HIDE]

May God wish him good luck if he gets at least 14,000 words per minute.

boogie woogie feng shui
I got 404. 62% above. I will call this my average speed. Really, it just depends on what I'm reading, it said it would take me about 3 hours to read The Catcher in the Rye, it took me less than that because I was so interested in it.
The Bible would take me 32 hours. I know I have spent about 3 days with it in total and I left it unfinished.

It's a fun test, but it doesn't dictate anything.

404 words a minute and you can't even detect the three grammatical errors in your post before submitting it?!

Heroes are forever

:supersayin:
It's a national average, and we're not all from the same nation. That makes sense, right?

404 words a minute and you can't even detect the three grammatical errors in your post before submitting it?!
I suck at punctuation. Besides, I always post as if I was talking instead of writing.
Error 404 is the first thing that went through my mind too :laugh:

Well, this country isn't really full of big readers. Some people never learn to read very well, or quickly in school. (My brother being one of them- he's sixteen this year & he still has trouble spelling even simple words, yet my other brother reads, probably more than I do & has no problem with it) In college, 95% of the reading you do is for your classes, & smost of the time, you use shortcuts, like taping your professor, watching a documentary/ movie instead of reading the book(s) & learning to read & write in shorthand in order to keep up with your professors' lecture. A lot of older adults read, but they have trouble finding time & as you get older, you start having vision problems or the time to read often.

Plus, there is one thing someone brought up earlier- some people tend to read slower to pick up on the subtleties in the writing & allow it to flow better & be easier to digest.