SLICE
Let me, as Seven's possibly biggest NerdBoy fan here, try to explain this.

You see, this isn't a case like, say, the Kamen Rider franchise, where the original Rider(s) were the face and driving force behind the series. In a sense, every single Rider after the original double had to fight to earn a spot next to them, except for V3...who earned it anyways.

You can see the results of this nowadays, where just about only two Showa Riders will be promoted in most fliers, besides the required three originals (Amazon and Black, the two most popular)

UltraSeven, when compared to the original Ultraman, is two things. Different and unique.

Ultraman was a scifi FANTASY, emphasis on the fantasy, that almost definately had to have a giant monster fight every episode that would only ever last about 2 and a half minutes. Ultraman as a human character, Hayata, was just sort of there, kind of bland and unassuming, who went through...few hardships in the scheme of things. You might even say that his fellow Science Patrol members had far more character and personality then he did. ...and you would be right. Ultraman and an Ultra.....imagine Ultraman. There ya go. He's the default, prime example of what it means to be Ultraman, good and bad.

UltraSeven however...

As a human, well, Seven gets one over poor Hayata by NOT being human. He merely takes a human shape, already giving him loads more personality. OK that's not fair...but seriously, from his introduction the dude has more personality then Hayata ever could have. He has a great, distinctive character from the get go, and as an Ultra, he is VASTLY different then almost any of them before or after...barring the ones that just took after him (Taro design wise, Max....in general....Zero...in general.)

Then you look at his SHOW....his show was Hard Sci Fi for the era, and had some, I think anyways, remarkable special effects and models for being a Japanese Low budget TV show in the SIXTIES.

It also threw the hard balls fast and often. Hell, by episode six Seven has already faced aliens competent enough to wreck most other heroes, and has witnessed the nigh extinction of a super advanced alien species...that he's partly to blame for. Things do not get any easier for Seven from then on...

And I think that's part of his charm. He takes on the worst possible bullshit of anyone, to the point where the finale ended on the uncertainty that he'd even be able to make it back home alive due to his crippling injuries, and dwindling power (in the final two episodes, he was so close to dying that he couldn't even use any beam attacks)

..then he came back to save Jack, came back to save Jack again, came back with Ace, came back with Taro...

....and here's the kicker.

Trained Leo into the master Badass of Badasses that Leo is now.

And I mean that utterly and honestly. Everything Ultraman Leo is, all of his skill, determination and badassery? Trained into him by Seven.

Leo had a lot of guts to start with...but Seven turned him into the warrior we know today. And he did this...through most of Leo's entire series.

Basically, Seven is a character unlike any Rider or Super Sentai member.

He's the only guy distinct enough to keep coming back and playing pivotal roles in series that are NOT his, basically guest star in some one else's series, and then, down the line, get SEVERAL more series, DTV and TV, to himself.

Ultraman is the face of the Ultraman franchise, for good reason.

UltraSeven is the heart and soul, cutting his place in history EyeSlugger in hand.

....plus the EyeSlugger may be the best Ultra weapon, if not the best Toku Weapon, ever made ever.

But that may just be my rampant fanboyism.

(It's not.)

Basically, Seven is a character unlike any Rider or Super Sentai member.

He's the only guy distinct enough to keep coming back and playing pivotal roles in series that are NOT his, basically guest star in some one else's series, and then, down the line, get SEVERAL more series, DTV and TV, to himself.

As far as UltraSeven's popularity and recurring appearances go, I don't think UltraSeven is that special. He still had the distinction of being the second Ultra, and that by itself seems to be enough to give a strong popularity in long running franchises when the characters are actually featured in later shows.

If you look at the Showa Rider features, V3 also made many relevant guest appearances after his own show. He was the one who upgraded X, led the previous Riders during the first big team up in Skyrider and also in Super-1's movie(although the later was probably because he was the only one with his actual actor) and stopped ZX when he believed that Riders were enemies. He's also the only previous Rider who gets to fight against a main villain in Black RX (even though he's shafted like everyone else there).

Yes, unlike UltraSeven, he never got an actual new feature focused on him, but that's just how Toei goes. Only recently they started making movies connected primarily to tv shows which already ended.

Last edited:
sadly there wont be a new ultra film for a few years
the whole (i mean the whole) japan was destroiyed today
by earthquake

Not-So-Rabid Blade Fangirl
That is an exaggeration. A friend of mine is living in Osaka and barely noticed the earthquake. Though I wouldn't be surprised if production on quite a few projects that are created in Tokyo were put on hold for a while.

SLICE
As far as UltraSeven's popularity and recurring appearances go, I don't think UltraSeven is that special. He still had the distinction of being the second Ultra, and that by itself seems to be enough to give a strong popularity in long running franchises when the characters are actually featured in later shows.

If you look at the Showa Rider features, V3 also made many relevant guest appearances after his own show. He was the one who upgraded X, led the previous Riders during the first big team up in Skyrider and also in Super-1's movie(although the later was probably because he was the only one with his actual actor) and stopped ZX when he believed that Riders were enemies. He's also the only previous Rider who gets to fight against a main villain in Black RX (even though he's shafted like everyone else there).

Yes, unlike UltraSeven, he never got an actual new feature focused on him, but that's just how Toei goes. Only recently they started making movies connected primarily to tv shows which already ended.

Except for the fact that V3 NEVER did anything, or has done anything, as...insane as Seven has done.

Some of it is comparable. V3 showed up in X, the third Rider series, and gave X an important plot thing to help him out, and was around for all the other get togethers getting to do important things...in fact I'll list those comparisons in full.

V3 and Seven both showed up, alone, to help out their successor in a pretty vital way, saving their life and making them more powerful.

Then they showed up again with the first (and second, in V3's case) hero, to help out again. After that both were present for a number of group outings, and in one compareable case...

V3, though I have not seen it myself yet I am instead going to trust you as a viable source of info, got to face one of the major RX villains though he ended up fairing poorly, he did better then the others.

Seven, when all of the Ultras showed up to help Ace against Hippiroto, was the only Ultra to escape immediate ownage and then put up a worthy fight against the alien...losing mostly because Seven forgot how to shoot beam.

So they are very, very compareable...

...except for a few things.

First, we have Ultraman 80. Ultraman 80 was utterly set apart from the rest of the Showa Era, in the fact that no other Ultra, to my knowledge, showed up. Except maybe Zoffy. ...possibly.

However in one episode, an evil UltraSeven was brought into existence, purely for fanservice.

They could have chosen ANY of the past Ultras, but instead they went for Seven. Why?

This would be like if a false V3 appeared in Kamen Rider Black and did battle, purely as a shout out to V3 himself.

This did not, and has never, occur.

However the biggest difference between the love Seven gets and the love V3 gets, what sets Seven apart in a very real way...

Ultraman Leo.

In Ultraman Leo, UltraSeven himself is the Co Star. He doesn't appear for a few episodes, he doesn't appear to save Leo's butt every now and again...

No.

He's there for almost the entire series, dropping out with only ten episodes remaining.

And he's there in a BIG way.

He's the first Ultra we see in the show, fighting against twin monsters and later their owner/creator and doing very well all things considered. He gets injured horribly and rendered unable to become an Ultra, so he spends the rest of the series as Leo's mentor, and becomes 1000% more badass then he ever was in his own show.

I say this having seen only the first four episodes, and unable to understand a word being said.

Seven is THAT amazingly badass in just those four episodes.

No other Toku character has this claim. Kikaider is the only one who comes close, and he disappears from 01 pretty early on. And this was in the Showa Era.

Then we touch on the other thing.

You commented that Toei has only recently started doing what was done for Seven...except that is false.

They're doing what was done for Tiga, Dyna, Gaia and Cosmos. Direct to video adventures that wrap up certain things or finish stories or whatever.

What was done with Seven was something else entirely.

From 1994, to 2002, UltraSeven was revived for a new direct to video SERIES, taking hiatus for certain amounts of time. 2 parts in 94, 4 in 98, 6 in 99, and 4 again in 2002 wrapping it all up as UltraSeven Evolution.

No other Ultra has gotten that amount of love from their creator company.

I have to wonder if any TOKU character in general has gotten that amount of love from their creator company.

But just to hammer home the point that Seven is UNUSUALLY well liked, if only by his company....

In 2005, it was the 40th aniversery of Ultra in general, and thus we got Ultraman Max....who was basically a modern, kid friendly version of UltraSeven. But that's not too bad, and it did retell a lot of Ultraman episodes and plots. ...and feature a direct sequel to one of UltraSeven's stories. ...moving on.

In 2006, it was ULTRAMAN'S 40th! So we got ULTRAMAN MEBIUS, a call back to the old days...which had an unusual amount of references to Seven, though admittedly outside enemies, for Team Guys including the ability to call upon two of his Capsule Monsters, having a mini Eleking be the team pet, and even using a device the Ultra garrison created to save the day in one adventure. But still, not too bad. Another loving look at all things Ultra, if only showa flavor. Ultraman even got to show up once or twice!

In 2007, it was UltraSeven's 40th...and they just gave him a brand new TV series. No other Ultras invited, nothing else going on. Just...Seven has a new show now!

But oh wait, it wasn't JUST UltraSeven related! We also saw the birth of Ultra Galaxy! Sure, it seemed to get high jacked by King Joe Black, but that's about as far as the Seven love went and Ultraman got to save the day!

...then in 2008 we got Ultra Galaxy Neo, which had a far more...loving look at UltraSeven then Ultraman ever got in the first series. ...but hey! Ultraman showed up with Seven at the end! Surely this means...

2009 saw the Ultra Galaxy movie. AKA the movie that basically starred Ultraman Zero...the Son of Seven. Thus making UltraSeven the only Ultra, who had his own show, to have a child. But hey, there was focus on the other Ultras, Dyna got to steal some spot light and hows about that Belial?!

2010, the 45th for ALL OF ULTRA! .....Ultraman Zero: The Movie.

2011: Uncertainty aside, it's held so far that there will be the final Ultraman Zero movie. During Ultraman's 45th.

To celebrate Ultraman's 45th, as well, there will be a new super live show starring Ultraman Zero.

And next year....Seven's 45th.

....why *IS* Seven so popular again?

Red Falcon
sadly there wont be a new ultra film for a few years
the whole (i mean the whole) japan was destroiyed today
by earthquake
:sly:

I think production for the movie has not even started yet (heck we don't even know the title and the casts but i expect they are in pre-production at the moment)

First, let's all do what we can to help out in the aftermath of the terrible earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan today.

Second, is there any way that someone can check on the Ultraman actors and actresses, to see if they're ok?