As someone who hasn't seen any Kamen Rider before Decade...

I've seen all of Decade now (plus 22 episodes of W and 17 episodes of OOO), but that's as far back as I've been. I know that previous series continuity was irrelevant and different actors, even different characters were used for the previous series.

So, my question is, exactly how different do the past series feel compared to the worlds I was presented in Decade? Feel free to say as much as you like without spoiling.

While I'm at it, would I be correct in thinking that All Riders vs. DaiShocker should be thrown out the window in terms of Decade show canon?

It's over 8,000!
Decade was a bad place to start. Throw out everything you know about Decade before starting with anything else. Watch Kamen Rider Double for a feel at least because it is a Heisei series with no features in Decade beside the movie appearances. I say watch as much Showa Rider as you can first. I recommend Black and X. Watch 555 and Ryuki as well, and focus on the reasons for the fighting for your Kamen Rider feel. They're all excellent. I'd recommend Agito as well, but if you haven't made it through another series at this point, maybe don't watch it until you really enjoy Kamen Rider because the exposition is half the series and you may get bored of it. It gets good, but you need to be in the right mindset to watch it.

Banned
I've seen all of Decade now (plus 22 episodes of W and 17 episodes of OOO), but that's as far back as I've been. I know that previous series continuity was irrelevant and different actors, even different characters were used for the previous series.

So, my question is, exactly how different do the past series feel compared to the worlds I was presented in Decade? Feel free to say as much as you like without spoiling.

While I'm at it, would I be correct in thinking that All Riders vs. DaiShocker should be thrown out the window in terms of Decade show canon?

Nothing from DCD has anything to do at all with the original KR series it used. They are all very different than what was shown in DCD. DCD does away with it's on canon because of it's bad writing.

Theoretically, each world kept the main theme of each show, even if the story and characters were very different. In practice, that doesn't work very well, especially because some shows don't really have a consistent "theme" throughout, or when they had one, didn't focus on it nearly as much as the Decade version did.

In addition, the worlds tried to recreate the atmosphere of the original shows (although with the different cast and characters), but only some were successful in doing that (Kuuga, Agito, Kabuto).

Some worlds followed the original stories close enough to spoil some plot twists, but others had plot twists that had nothing to do with the originals... so, it doesn't really spoil anyone unless you already know the spoiler.

The lessons that the alternate Riders learned after each of their arcs were generally meant to make them closer to the original versions, like Kuuga deciding to protect everyone's smiles, Blade fighting for his friends and not for a job, etc. But some of them were just very different from the originals, even after the lesson (like Prince Wataru) and many people were annoyed by their "flaws", even if they were just there in order to allow them to go through that development.

And, of course, although alt.Kuuga was generally well received in his own arc, later episodes, often ignoring that he was a Rider or even part of his character (Nega and Diend worlds) just annoyed people and left many with a negative opinion about him.

Some of the random characters who appear from other, unseen, worlds were directly based on the previous shows though, keeping even casting often (The Hopper Riders in Kuuga World, Kaixa in Kiva, Wataru Kurenai in the first and final episodes, Kenzaki Kazuma in the final episode and his Movie Wars cameo, Agito from All Riders), although their roles had little to do with their roles in their own series.

Black/Black RX actually had their original actors and Black RX basically followed the original show (they even refused to recast Kazumi no Joe after they were unable to bring his actor back, just making him mentioned by the script).

The one big exception in the first nine worlds was Den-O. The arc actually has several differences from actual Den-O itself (like changing outfits with the Imagin possessions and the wish mechanic being completely ignored) but every character there was from Den-O itself and it tied into the first Chou Den-O movie.

All Riders is canon. Takes place between Amazon and Rider War World. Stated by some official material and there are a few hints in the show itself (like Tsukasa suddenly stopping complaining about not having a world in the two last episodes and Apollogeist never calling Dai-Shocker reinforcements from other worlds).

It's also referenced in Movie Wars (the reveal regarding Eijiro's double personality, Rising Ultimate Kuuga, Double and Decade recognizing each other).

DCD does away with it's on canon because of it's bad writing.

The decision to go with reimaginations had nothing to do with good or bad writing. It was announced before the show started and every writer who worked on the show clearly had to follow that directive.

Last edited:
ジェイ・イー・フュージョン
But seriously, Decade kinda spoils something about the previous series.

[hide]Kabuto: Hiyori being a Worm is one.[/hide]

Mr. Kamen Rider

Ostensibly it's canon. But the movie was partially conceived as being the original ending and then basically hammered into a place it doesn't really fit. Most books place it either after Amazon World (the Terebikun Deluxe book) or outside the TV timeline completely (the Official Data Files) but just watching the movie and the TV episodes it takes place between, you can see a lot of things don't add up. There's basically a counter-argument for every explanation of where it should take place, and the movie shooting script doesn't help matters at all, clearly intending this to be "the last Decade story". Even if by the time they filmed the movie, they already knew how the ending would go and that there'd be another movie.

So it "takes place between 29 & 30", but in a very loose sense.

Ostensibly it's canon. But the movie was partially conceived as being the original ending and then basically hammered into a place it doesn't really fit. Most books place it either after Amazon World (the Terebikun Deluxe book) or outside the TV timeline completely (the Official Data Files) but just watching the movie and the TV episodes it takes place between, you can see a lot of things don't add up. There's basically a counter-argument for every explanation of where it should take place, and the movie shooting script doesn't help matters at all, clearly intending this to be "the last Decade story". Even if by the time they filmed the movie, they already knew how the ending would go and that there'd be another movie.

So it "takes place between 29 & 30", but in a very loose sense.

I'd always felt it fit best after RX world, considering that the backdrop that falls at the end of episode 27 shows Amazon in the jungle, and the first shot of All Riders is Decade and Amazon fighting in the jungle. I had just figured that was an intentional transition.