Spacewave Software, a Canadian indie game studio, has released their new shmup known as Rival Megagun. There are shmups of all shapes and sizes, but Rival Megagun is the first we’ve seen of its kind: a two-player competitive shmup where the goal is to destroy the other player as much as the enemy.
You and a partner play on a splitscreen display, with each of you targeting separate waves of enemies. Eventually, you’ll collect power-ups that will allow you to sabotage the other guy with missiles and projectiles….but your ultimate goal is to power up to the extent that you transform into a giant robot mech, and become your rival’s final boss!
- Classic shmup action with a competitive twist
- Multiple playable heroes, each with their own special weapons and Mega Gunship boss form
- Intense 2-player “couch-competitive” local versus battles
- Online battles – challenge your friends or find opponents via matchmaking
- Unlockable gear and weapons for customizing your ship
- A single-player arcade mode
No matter which system you own, you’ll be able to play Rival Megagun: there are versions out for Playstation 4 and PC, the XBox One version will be released tomorrow, and the Switch version will come out December 6.
A manic PVP battle shmup. Transform into your Mega Gunship boss form to blast your rival head-on in this unique shooting game with a competitive twist. Rival Megagun is a competitive split-screen vertical shmup (or shoot ’em up, shooting game, STG) where you transform into a gigantic boss ship – your “Mega Gunship” – to invade your opponent’s screen.