Gloomhaven first came into existence as a tabletop game. Designed by Isaac Childres, it gained $4.4 million from its Kickstarter campaign and more than 45,000 backers. When the game was released, BoardGameGeek gave it its highest rating and awarded it the honor of “Board Game of the Year” in 2017.
Now it’s a video game, mixing tactical RPG elements with randomized dungeon crawling. It’s main attraction is an Adventure Mode with roguelike mechanics and turn-based combat. There’s also a co-op mode for two to four players. Right now, the game is still in Early Access form, but Asmodee Digital is working hard on getting additional environments, quests and items into the game. This week, they added the following:
- Codename Triangles new card
- Other new cards:
- Frozen Mind (Mindthief)
- Phantasmal Killer (Mindthief)
- Added – Customs levels can now be uploaded and downloaded as mods from Steam Workshop, make your own or try them out!
- Added – New Crystal Archivist Spellweaver Skin!
- Added – Perk to ignore negative item effects
- Updated – Camera to have a better focus on the action
- Updated – Expanded level editor functionalities
Flashier content is on its way to Gloomhaven very soon. A full-fledged multiplayer mode is still in the works…and not quite finished, but Asmodee figured fans would want a good look at it. This teaser video was released today; Asmodee says they’re almost ready to begin public testing. Soon, all of this will be yours:
The Gloomhaven video game is available now on Steam Early Access.