Your most hated Kamen rider character?

It doesn't matter whether or not the "courted" had any interest in the start. And there is no measurement of entitlement going on. It is to some extent unfair to the courted (over here, it's the female) but the option to reject anyone and/or everyone (or the entire courtship custom altogether) is always there.

Over here, there's a term for people who got courted into submission, and most people think it's sweet. I don't think you have the right to call out any relationship that started out as such as "unhealthy".

It is a fictional relationship. Souji is a fictional character and in context of the story he does not have the option of rejection. His actions are decided not by himself but by a writer who makes him give in to Rin solely because she wants him. It's similar imo to the concept of "imprinting" in the Twilight series where a male werewolf can designate any female, usually a child or even a newborn baby, as his soul mate. He then hangs around until she's old enough to marry him and while she could technically say no, she never does, because as one character describes it "why would she say no?" It's just taken as a given that this is what she will do and what was decided for her. That's not really a choice at all and it is what's happening to Souji.

I would also say that culture and tradition does not make something right, but that's completely another thing and I will not discuss it here
 
Kengo from Kiva, was pretty annoying. I hated that rock n roll crap that he had going. Later on I hated him even more once he dawned the IXA suit. Even though he became less of a douche by the end of the series. I just didn't like him, he served no purpose other than being a side character.
 
It is a fictional relationship. Souji is a fictional character and in context of the story he does not have the option of rejection. His actions are decided not by himself but by a writer who makes him give in to Rin solely because she wants him. It's similar imo to the concept of "imprinting" in the Twilight series where a male werewolf can designate any female, usually a child or even a newborn baby, as his soul mate. He then hangs around until she's old enough to marry him and while she could technically say no, she never does, because as one character describes it "why would she say no?" It's just taken as a given that this is what she will do and what was decided for her. That's not really a choice at all and it is what's happening to Souji.

I would also say that culture and tradition does not make something right, but that's completely another thing and I will not discuss it here

And in this case, the problem is that the character is fictional? I'm sorry, I'm not really seeing why THAT'S your malfunction with it. Although, the Twilight comparison makes it clear we're still not on the same page. You're saying that because his actions are dictated by the author, his decision to give in is not his own, but if that's the case, no fictional romance is right, as every fictional character's actions are is determined by the author.

Now... I think your still stuck on this "entitled" bit. I don't know about Rin, but where I come from, you're not "entitled" to the girl you are pursuing, you merely WANT her, and are attempting to get her to give herself to you. Now, of course, she's deciding whether she wants to or not herself, and this is where it diverges from the werewolf imprinting comparison. The onus for acceptance is on the PURSUER, what do they bring(Which, is supposed to be yourself, but... well, as I said, it's complicated.), not on the pursued who has the final word on the matter, if she says no, you are to respect it, and, in polite terms, back off.
 
And in this case, the problem is that the character is fictional? I'm sorry, I'm not really seeing why THAT'S your malfunction with it. Although, the Twilight comparison makes it clear we're still not on the same page. You're saying that because his actions are dictated by the author, his decision to give in is not his own, but if that's the case, no fictional romance is right, as every fictional character's actions are is determined by the author.

Now... I think your still stuck on this "entitled" bit. I don't know about Rin, but where I come from, you're not "entitled" to the girl you are pursuing, you merely WANT her, and are attempting to get her to give herself to you. Now, of course, she's deciding whether she wants to or not herself, and this is where it diverges from the werewolf imprinting comparison. The onus for acceptance is on the PURSUER, what do they bring(Which, is supposed to be yourself, but... well, as I said, it's complicated.), not on the pursued who has the final word on the matter, if she says no, you are to respect it, and, in polite terms, back off.

I mean that fiction generally lacks the nuances of the real world (especially in a show like Sentai that is primarily a toy commercial.) In context of Kyoryuger, the audience is never supposed to think Souji might say no. It is taken as a given that he will fall for Rin just because she wants him, despite her being rather unappealing. We're supposed to cheer her on and yell "Finally!" when they start dating, even though Rin blatantly ignored Souji's lack of interest in her and just kept pushing him. Toei tends to do this a lot (other recent examples include "Pink Buster" and Tomoko in Fourze.) At core, how is this that different from, say, Mitsuzane Kureshima's obsession with Mai? In each case it comes from the character viewing someone as "theirs", essentially reducing them to an object, and completely disregarding that person's wishes and agency.


Actually, Micchy brings me to a completely separate point re this thread: There's a huge difference between characters you're supposed to hate, vs ones that the show expects you to love but are just awful. No one is supposed to like the Micchys and Kusakas of the world. Even Shunpei is designed to be a bit annoying, because other characters get irritated by him and he's got that loser-ish thing going on. But then you get those characters that Toei clearly thinks are the bee's knees but can still bug the hell out of you
 
I mean that fiction generally lacks the nuances of the real world (especially in a show like Sentai that is primarily a toy commercial.) In context of Kyoryuger, the audience is never supposed to think Souji might say no. It is taken as a given that he will fall for Rin just because she wants him, despite her being rather unappealing. We're supposed to cheer her on and yell "Finally!" when they start dating, even though Rin blatantly ignored Souji's lack of interest in her and just kept pushing him. Toei tends to do this a lot (other recent examples include "Pink Buster" and Tomoko in Fourze.) At core, how is this that different from, say, Mitsuzane Kureshima's obsession with Mai? In each case it comes from the character viewing someone as "theirs", essentially reducing them to an object, and completely disregarding that person's wishes and agency.


Actually, Micchy brings me to a completely separate point re this thread: There's a huge difference between characters you're supposed to hate, vs ones that the show expects you to love but are just awful. No one is supposed to like the Micchys and Kusakas of the world. Even Shunpei is designed to be a bit annoying, because other characters get irritated by him and he's got that loser-ish thing going on. But then you get those characters that Toei clearly thinks are the bee's knees but can still bug the hell out of you

Okay, now I get it. It's because the show is trying to tackle something that it's just not capable of handling. Gotcha, I hope. Although I do make the note here, that while Rin was TRYING to get Souji to notice her, Micchy just kind of assumes that Mai should be all over him, with no real input on his part. So, one is supposed to be(Not well handled admittedly, but I think it's what they were going for.) a case of "You dummy, you have a fine young woman completely enamored with you and you just NOW noticed?" vs. "Dude, you have done nothing to deserve anything."
 
With all the characters people say they don't like, I'm surprised no one has said the obvious, Amane from Blade. I mean my god, of all the annoying kid characters I've seen in Kamen Rider, this brat takes the cake.
She's overly obsessed with a guy who she knows nothing about, and will qttack and insult anyone who says anything bad against him, get a life kid.
She's also doesn't listen to her mother, who I'm surprised didn't slap her once with all she said and did.
How about her dad, I don't recall one time where she said she missed her deceased father. As soon as Hajime came around, it's like she wiped her mind clean of her own father.
The movie version also doesn't do anything for her. She becomes a spoiled brat, and a thief all because the guy she was obsessed over left. Get over it, it happens, but don't dwell on it forever, move on with your life.
This is definitely one character we all could have done without.
 
She's one of my least favourite characters, just not #1, but she is truly horrible. The Blade movie makes it canon she'd be a violent criminal if Hajime were not around, for heaven's sake! Plus a nine year old having a crush on an adult man (or rather an immortal being hundreds or thousands of years old but who looks like an adult man) is revolting. People complain about Kiba Ranger and Houou Ranger but how is this any better? (well, she didn't sexually harass him but she was still obsessed)

I hate Hajime too. We're supposed to believe he's human and redeemable because he "loves" Amane and her mother and they're his "family" now, notwithstanding that he is there because HE MURDERED THEIR FATHER/HUSBAND AND BASICALLY TOOK THE GUY'S PLACE and the viewer is expected to excuse that. And I won't even go near the ending of the show
 
She's one of my least favourite characters, just not #1, but she is truly horrible. The Blade movie makes it canon she'd be a violent criminal if Hajime were not around, for heaven's sake! Plus a nine year old having a crush on an adult man (or rather an immortal being hundreds or thousands of years old but who looks like an adult man) is revolting. People complain about Kiba Ranger and Houou Ranger but how is this any better? (well, she didn't sexually harass him but she was still obsessed)

I hate Hajime too. We're supposed to believe he's human and redeemable because he "loves" Amane and her mother and they're his "family" now, notwithstanding that he is there because HE MURDERED THEIR FATHER/HUSBAND AND BASICALLY TOOK THE GUY'S PLACE and the viewer is expected to excuse that. And I won't even go near the ending of the show

Wait, Murdered? I was under the impression that it was an accident during a fight with another Undead, because... well, what does he care about a human's death? It doesn't benefit him and it was established that he doesn't care one way or another who gets hurt(Hey, I'm not the biggest fan of Hajime either, but that's more because I don't think even the writers knew what to do with him. He's an interesting concept, the execution is just sloppy at best, and downright nonsensical at worst. The actor's poor abilities does NOT help.) so having a bystander get hit in the crossfire makes sense for him, while him going out of his way to hunt down someone who's never wronged him in any way for no gain whatsoever... Doesn't. As for trying to replace him... your guess is as good as mine for why the hell he'd even try. Of course, if the writers ever figured out, how emotional IS this guy? I mean, one episode he's total sociopath and the next he's risking his neck for a total stranger. Make up your minds.

Of course, maybe it's because the words murder and kill have VERY different meanings to me. Hajime's killed, but I've never seen him commit murder. Now, say, Micchy or Kusaka? Yeah, they're murderers or at least attempted ones, they both have tried to kill people who have done them no great wrong. Micchy's worse, as at least with Kusaka, his hatred's make sense. He's wrong and a sick bastard, but at least he makes sense. Hajime? Anyone he's killed, he didn't do it with malicious intent. Manslaughter, yes, Murder? No.
 
I hate Hajime too. We're supposed to believe he's human and redeemable because he "loves" Amane and her mother and they're his "family" now, notwithstanding that he is there because HE MURDERED THEIR FATHER/HUSBAND AND BASICALLY TOOK THE GUY'S PLACE and the viewer is expected to excuse that. And I won't even go near the ending of the show

No Hajime didn't murder her dad. I don't recall the exact details, but Chalice was fighting the King Undead, either it was the King who killed him or Chalice deflected an attack that accidentally killed her dad.

Hajime stayed with the family part of it due to guilt and part of it due to his curiosity about human emotions (he didn't understand why Amane's dad was just thinking about his family even when he is about to die).
 
Kamen Rider Diend is the only toku character I don't like. No hero, villain, side character, monster of the week, or otherwise in any toku, not even in such horrific dreck like Bio Planet WoO, has made me think "this character is friggin bad". NONE. Sure you have useless characters like most side characters ever and those kids from Inazuman that kind of just disappear, but they are not annoying or take up much screen time.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top