Will we ever see a series run longer or less than a year again?

Aoi Kurenai

Mad Skillz
The thought came to me from catching up on Den-O since I've been very behind. I've realized that Den-O really doesn't need to run for an entire year. 26 episodes, 30 max, I think would serve well enough to get the story across. In the 30something episodes we have so far, there really isn't that much story in there. While it's obvious that Den-O will run its course for a full year, does anyone think that any other series, Kamen Rider or not, will ever run longer or less than a year depending on the needs of the series? Surely it would make Toei more money to have two series in one year I would think. The last overly long series I know of was Ultraman Cosmos and its extended run didn't really help it out too much.

Of course this doesn't count series that are canceled.
 
Den-O really does need to be shorter, it's just been feeling like nothing really happens for most of the episode.
 
More than a year is not likely because Toei and Bandai get more money when they make us buy their products (belts, figures, crap.....) every year. less is when the series isn't doing good like Ultraman Nexus, although I've noticed that Toei doesn't easily cancel its shows when they're doing bad like Ohranger and Hibiki.
 
Last edited:
The thought came to me from catching up on Den-O since I've been very behind. I've realized that Den-O really doesn't need to run for an entire year. 26 episodes, 30 max, I think would serve well enough to get the story across. In the 30something episodes we have so far, there really isn't that much story in there. While it's obvious that Den-O will run its course for a full year, does anyone think that any other series, Kamen Rider or not, will ever run longer or less than a year depending on the needs of the series? Surely it would make Toei more money to have two series in one year I would think. The last overly long series I know of was Ultraman Cosmos and its extended run didn't really help it out too much.

Of course this doesn't count series that are canceled.

I would argue that pretty much all of the "New Gen" Kamen Rider shows fit exactly what you said about Den-O. Agito and Faiz both could have been done in maybe 26 episodes and it would have made the pacing in each far better than it was. Nothing really happens in the middle of each, except of Mana looking upset, Gills being bedridden 24/7 or Kusaka acting like a butthead (plus lots of pointless talking). Blade and Kabuto could both have been condensed as well, removing the weaker parts of each show. Kabuto I think is a greater offender in terms of feeling like nothings happening. Kabuto's thirty-third episode may as well have been it's first.

I think the only New Gen shows that really should have run longer than one season would be Kuuga and Hibiki. In both cases, each show set up some good/great characters and seemed to have many more stories they could have told.

I personally don't think Toei would ever have two shows in one year. One has to remember that these shows don't just happen. I would imagine that while Den-O is filming the preproduction crew is already at work developing next years show, and props, etc, begin to be made. Not to mention that toys and merchandise often begin production long before people see them on store shelves.

If Toei were to create two shows a year. I think the sheer strain on preproduction and construction/manufacturing of props as well as toys and other merchandise would cause a degrade in quality throughout the franchise in general.

This is assuming Toei did two 26 episode shows back to back, filling the fifty-two weeks in a year. Other possibilites exist though. I think it would be cool if perhaps Toei did a 26-52 episode series and another short series (say 12 episodes aired at midnights). The FIRST might have been good if it had been done this way.
 
Last edited:
If they did half the series then they would most likely alternate Sentai and KR with half a year each filling the same slot allowing for some down time and for people to recoup money for the new merchandise.
 
Geki could stand to be shorter, but I think Den-O's pacing is fine. As a series, it's supposed to give you a reason to watch week after week. If they made the pacing faster, the show would blow its load all at once and then have nothing happen for months (Timeranger's biggest problem). There would also be less time for action scenes which, let's face it, are pretty much most of the point of the show. If they just cut the series down shorter, it wouldn't make as much money. Bandai would probably be pleased as punch to sell you more bright plastic, but it'd also kinda oversaturate the market, leading to fewer sales of existing products.

Also, ending a show early one year would mean the next show would have to be rushed out to fill the gap. That makes everyone unhappy. ESPECIALLY TV execs who were told the show would last 50 episodes.
 
Western fandom's opinions =/= Japanese TV ratings. Hibiki is much whined about here, but it had better overall ratings than Blade and (the a bit overhyped) Kabuto.

I might be mistaken, but didn't Hibiki also have better numbers than Ryuki and 555?
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top