Why Do We Need Official US Releases of Toku?

Keith Justice

New Member
I mean.... as soon as burning fansubbed episodes to DVD is made easy... why should we really care? They bring those out in the Western world, it'll be brutally expernsive and possibly unaffordable like anime is to me.

Why would you want an Official Western release?
 
There's a chance for things beyond DVDs if official western releases have a good market here.
Think of the merchandise that people spend hundreds on importing -- they could buy it right in the comfort of their own city.

Of course there's always the chance it's butchered. God knows what big companies are willing to do to save some money. But it's a chance, and many people want to see where it'll lead.
 
You've pretty much pulled the pin on the Official vs. Bootleg grenade, suffice to say that some buy officials based on economic morals, some for their all-around superior quality, some for the "Supply And Demand" based-theory of getting more (including older stuff) subbed and released, most for all of the above. People that are usually content with downloading and burning are the cheapskates (no offense) and the less picky folks, and fans who only watch current Toku.
 
Last edited:
I'm liking the First DVD release being released here in the states becase it's on two discs. Which means extras. And I'm always a sucker for extras! Especially when a DVD is around 20-25 bones or so.
 
You've pretty pulled the pin on the Official vs. Bootleg grenade, suffice to say that some buy officials based on economic morals, some for their all-around superior quality, some for the "Supply And Demand" based-theory of getting more (including older stuff) subbed and released, most for all of the above. People that are usually content with downloading and burning are the cheapskates (no offense) and the less picky folks, and fans who only watch current Toku.

I just hate for it to become like anime.... all the good stuff is picked up officially and then fansubs are shut down. The subtitle fonts and quality usually tend to be better in fansubs too like with TVN's way of subbing special attacks giving even the subtitles personalities similar to the Rider using a given Kick.

It comes out in the US, it's just not affordable for me. With video games and comic books and real life... there's no cash left over for me to drop 150 bucks on an anime series. The best of which are far beyond 26 episodes.

I almost like and prefer the intimate way we enjoy our stuff in our community without it getting touched by the mainstream. S'why I don't mind Dragon Knight stuff or Power Rangers. It's different, while my Toku remains untouched and wholly Japanese in its taste and charm. I like and kinda prefer that way. And dropping the dough on an import ends up making that item just feel that much more valuable and treasured.

That's how I roll, I guess.
 
Yeah, this looks more like a official vs fan sub/bootleg type thing. Any ways, there is one main reason why I would want official English releases. I like having physical products. If I were to buy official DVDs, I would want them to have subtitles, practically none do as it. I've been tempted, but the price + no subs makes it sort of easy to be swayed. :/

As for the aesthetics of fan subs, fonts and special effects... Eh, I don't think they are enough to really warrant a reason to not want official releases. And as for fan subs stopping, a lot of anime gets fan subbed after it has been licensed. Hell, there are places that rip the official anime dvds.

I can sort of see what you mean by mainstream. Once anime gets dubbed, the fans it brings along scare me. But I doubt tokusatsu has too much of a chance of being that big, Power Rangers has had its affect on Americans. Even if there were official releases here, in the States, it'll probably always have a small following.
 
Remember when Ultraman Tiga was picked up for Fox Box. that was an alright time. cept i hated wakeing up at 11 everyday and i hated how they took 5 mins out of the show.
 
I got no want for a pirate vs. official debate. My opinion... I don't care. Get whatever you want.

I'd just kinda hate that if Kabuto got picked up I'd end up having to wait a year for it to get brought over here and then find myself 20 bucks poorer for every four episodes I got every 2 months.

Not exactally a fate I'd ask for....
 
It depends on how you look at it. Yes it's cheap and easy to download fansubs. and yes sometimes the fansubbers give better translations than the big companies. But I would kind of like to actually have DVD's of these in my collection instead of burnt DVD's scattered about.
 
Hmm, official releases eh?

If they ever do release Kyoryuu Sentai ZyuRanger (or any other good series) in the UK, fully uncut, in Japanese with good quality English subtitles, in a full series DVD boxset, with some bonus extras (maybe full Zyu2 Footage, Cast Interviews, Toy/Snack/Korakuen Commercials, bloopers/mistakes, etc..), then that would be cool. I'd probably put whatever I'm saving up for aside and go for the ZyuRanger Boxset first (even though I already have it on VCD).

Shame that'll probably never happen.

Til then, I'm always feeling happy to download fansubs, and import DVDs from Japan (even though they're really pricey).
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top