What if MMPR had been adapted from Fiveman instead of Zyuranger?

Because the diversity police would cry racism otherwise.

It got kinda ridiculous by the time they tried to pass off the Thunder Rangers in Ninja Storm as brothers as Hurricanger had done, while still abiding by that checklist by making them adopted.

Dinosaurs seem to be an evergreen source of fascination to little kids, and the Jurassic Park movie escalated that into probably the biggest craze of the 90s. Seriously, dinosaurs were everywhere for years afterwards. This almost certainly gave MMPR a big initial lift, given that it began airing just two months after Jurassic Park was released.

It's also probably worth mentioning that, of course, Zyuranger (and thus MMPR) had a sixth ranger. I know nowadays we're all sick of the Tommy worship and endless nostalgia, but there's a reason Hasbro are still able to make money from it over a quarter of a century later. The "Green With Evil" five-parter was a massive moment in the original show, and sheer word-of-mouth in the playground took the hype levels beyond anything they could have done with promo and marketing.

Also, while I admit this drifts into my own personal taste, the mecha design for DaiZyuJin/The Megazord is a massive step up compared to the mechs in previous Sentai series. If I see a random picture of a mech from an early Sentai, I will often struggle to remember what it is or even which season it's from. From DaiZyuJin onwards they are so much more distinct and memorable.
Agreed. I've also never understood why they felt Power Rangers needed to fill a checklist in every season.
lol Black Fang's response seems to assume there are a lot more idealists around than I think is the case. In my experience, a cynical explanation is usually more likely.

Studies have shown that people (and especially kids) are more likely to become interested in something if it contains characters that are the same gender, race etc as them. In a multi-racial country like the US, having a multi-racial cast means they cast a wider net for potential viewers and toy customers. Then when PR became a massive international hit it became more important for viewers/sales in those other countries too.

Once again, let's point out that the first Asian-American ranger was assigned the colour yellow, and the first African-American ranger was assigned the colour black. Those do not seem like the choices of casting directors that are intentionally trying to push a specific agenda.

Last edited:
Why is every good TV show Cancelled
Agreed with the casting. The main things the media were mad about in the US back then were violence/ indecency marketed to children, the girl power movement, whether or not gay people were gross and the rampant drug problem amongst the black community.

Administrator
Staff member
They should have kept the cousin theme in the American version of Nininger since a cousin theme is more possible with a diverse cast over a sibling one.

lol Black Fang's response seems to assume there are a lot more idealists around than I think is the case. In my experience, a cynical explanation is usually more likely.

Most cynics begin as idealists. Both hold to their ideology and hatred of the "opposition", but the cynic is willing to exploit the cause for his/her own comfort, even if the promised future does not come.