Tsuburaya wins chayo Thailand... Chayo Fail!

If Tsuburaya still wants to break into the US market, I don't see how they can avoid subtitling in English - they need more than just the Japanese-speaking population on the West Coast and Hawaii. And, they do have to charge a reasonable price for the rights.

The point of my previous post was, Tsuburaya's definitely going for something a bit more mainstream than, say, Generation Kikaida (which someone suggested should get the rights to Ultra Seven, and that's WAAAAAAY too niche for Tsuburaya). As I suggested before, companies like Image Entertainment and Shout! Factory would make much better suitors to the Ultra Series rights in the US. And there should indeed be no trouble subtitling all the shows.

Considering Shout! Factory had experts like August Ragone work on the Showa Gamera DVDs (and S!F rep Cliff McMillan worked with August on the original Red Baron and Iron King sets from BCI), I think Shout! would really have it covered with the Ultra Series.
 
The point of my previous post was, Tsuburaya's definitely going for something a bit more mainstream than, say, Generation Kikaida (which someone suggested should get the rights to Ultra Seven, and that's WAAAAAAY too niche for Tsuburaya). As I suggested before, companies like Image Entertainment and Shout! Factory would make much better suitors to the Ultra Series rights in the US. And there should indeed be no trouble subtitling all the shows.

Considering Shout! Factory had experts like August Ragone work on the Showa Gamera DVDs (and S!F rep Cliff McMillan worked with August on the original Red Baron and Iron King sets from BCI), I think Shout! would really have it covered with the Ultra Series.

I'm ok with Image Entertainment; I've rented copies of the Ultraman Tiga & Ultraman Dyna, and Ultraman Gaia, Tiga, & Dyna movies. They seem to have done great sub-titling work, although some of the voice dubbing left a lot to be desired.
 
I'm ok with Image Entertainment; I've rented copies of the Ultraman Tiga & Ultraman Dyna, and Ultraman Gaia, Tiga, & Dyna movies. They seem to have done great sub-titling work, although some of the voice dubbing left a lot to be desired.

Yeah, Tsuburaya had no control over that last part, I was told. But, they indeed did a great job with the subtitling! Image Entertainment was also very interested in getting the rights to the original Ultraman from Tsuburaya, but that fell through when the Chaiyo situation got out of hand.
 
Whatever happened to that digital replacement system that Tsuburaya cooked up with during the run of the Ultra Galaxy shows? It seemed like that would have been the perfect way to market a ridiculously inexpensive production to the west (and even something Saban might jump all over) ...but if died out, I'm not too upset. That system made it so you had to lock your entire show into a set rather than be able to shoot outside.
 
Digital Replacement System?

Whatever happened to that digital replacement system that Tsuburaya cooked up with during the run of the Ultra Galaxy shows? It seemed like that would have been the perfect way to market a ridiculously inexpensive production to the west (and even something Saban might jump all over) ...but if died out, I'm not too upset. That system made it so you had to lock your entire show into a set rather than be able to shoot outside.

What was this digital replacement system*? Some sort of internet subscription service, like Netflix? Or, a service similar to YouTube?


*Yes; I tried to look it up on Wiki, and came up empty. :disappoin
 
That's the one! It was essentially a system where shows where filmed in front of a green screen in a way that allowed the Japanese cast to be replaced for foreign markets. We saw a couple of clips of it in action that showed off an all white Ultra Galaxy cast. It seems like Tsuburaya is always trying to bring Ultraman over, they just don't have a lot of luck.
 
Thanks!

That's the one! It was essentially a system where shows where filmed in front of a green screen in a way that allowed the Japanese cast to be replaced for foreign markets. We saw a couple of clips of it in action that showed off an all white Ultra Galaxy cast. It seems like Tsuburaya is always trying to bring Ultraman over, they just don't have a lot of luck.

Thanks to both of you, ryuuseipro and Aoi Kurenai!

Aoi, that represents a major change in Tsuburaya's attitude. I seem to recall that when they let FoxKids have Tiga, they absolutely forbade any cutting out the scenes with the Japanese cast, and replacing them with local actors, ie., Power Rangers. Instead, FoxKids had to do a lot of voice dubbing, and probably some scene cutting and rearrangement to make it work. Worked out fine, for the most part. I'm still not sure, to this day, what exactly went wrong with Tiga's US showings ...

Maybe, instead of running Ultraman as strictly a kids' TV show, they should run it as a family time sci-fi show, like Doctor Who, Lost In Space, etc.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top