Toho Monster Movies Absorbed into The Godzilla Series

With the exception of the Heisei Series, Toho has not been overly concerned with continuity. Instead, they treat their monster characters as if they were actors... the monsters "perform" in a movie if Toho wants them to.

Here's a list of non-Godzilla Toho theatrical releases that featured monsters (or key Toho trademarks like mecha) also seen in Godzilla movies. I stuck to what was shown or said in the movies, not what may have been stated elsewhere (tie-in books, merchandising, etc)...

RODAN
THE MYSTERIANS (introduces Mogera)
VARAN THE UNBELIEVABLE
MOTHRA
GORATH (the wandering star Gorath reappears in GODZILLA: FINAL WARS)
ATRAGON (introduces Gotengo and Manda)
FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD (introduces Baragon)
WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS (semi-sequel to FCTW; Sanda mentioned in GODZILLA AGAINST MECHAGODZILLA; introduces Maser Cannons)
KING KONG ESCAPES (introduces Gorosaurus)
SPACE AMOEBA (introduces Kamoebas; Gezora shown in GFW)
REBIRTH OF MOTHRA
REBIRTH OF MOTHRA 2
REBIRTH OF MOTHRA 3
SUPERFLEET SAZER X (original Gotengo appears)
ALWAYS -SUNSET ON THIRD STREET- 2 (Godzilla appears in opening sequence): http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2008/05/29/godzilla-on-third-street/

The following television series also featured monsters from the Godzilla movies...

ZONE FIGHTER (Godzilla, King Ghidorah and Gigan appear)
GO! GODMAN (several Toho movie monsters appear)
GO! GREENMAN (several Toho movie monsters appear)
NEW PRODUCTION: GO! GODMAN (Sanda appears in DVD special)

ZONE FIGHTER info: http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2009/11/14/zone-fighter-series-guide/

GODMAN and GREENMAN info: http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2008/05/16/tohos-new-go-godman-on-the-set-report-gaira-returns/

****

If you want to "step outside the box", the Rankin/Bass animated KING KONG show inspired both GODZILLA VS THE SEA MONSTER and KING KONG ESCAPES: http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2008/12/20/king-kong-cartoon-series-guide/

And TriStar's GODZILLA movie and cartoon GODZILLA: THE SERIES starred the monster who returned to (briefly) fight Godzilla in GODZILLA: FINAL WARS.
 
Last edited:
What's your region?

You also could unlock DVD players and you could change your computer's region, but it usually locks the region after three changes.

Edit: Cool. Amazon shot up the price. It makes me feel better.
I live in the UK, which is region 2 along with the rest of Europe. Amazon and ebay have loads of copies of the film...but they're all imports of the region one version. I am considering trying to get hold of a second-hand DVD player on the cheap and switching it's region, but it seems a bit much for one movie. If a bunch of them are only available in region one though, it could be worth it. The other possibility I heard is that VLC Player will quite happily ignore region coding and play a disk regardless, but I don't want to go importing DVDs on the strength of an online theory.
[hide]With the exception of the Heisei Series, Toho has not been overly concerned with continuity. Instead, they treat their monster characters as if they were actors... the monsters "perform" in a movie if Toho wants them to.

Here's a list of non-Godzilla Toho theatrical releases that featured monsters (or key Toho trademarks like mecha) also seen in Godzilla movies. I stuck to what was shown or said in the movies, not what may have been stated elsewhere (tie-in books, merchandising, etc)...

RODAN
THE MYSTERIANS (introduces Mogera)
VARAN THE UNBELIEVABLE
MOTHRA
GORATH (the wandering star Gorath reappears in GODZILLA: FINAL WARS)
ATRAGON (introduces Gotengo and Manda)
FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD (introduces Baragon)
WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS (semi-sequel to FCTW; Sanda mentioned in GODZILLA AGAINST MECHAGODZILLA; introduces Maser Cannons)
KING KONG ESCAPES (introduces Gorosaurus)
SPACE AMOEBA (introduces Kamoebas; Gezora shown in GFW)
REBIRTH OF MOTHRA
REBIRTH OF MOTHRA 2
REBIRTH OF MOTHRA 3
SUPERFLEET SAZER X (original Gotengo appears)
ALWAYS -SUNSET ON THIRD STREET- 2 (Godzilla appears in opening sequence): http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2008/05/29/godzilla-on-third-street/

The following television series also featured monsters from the Godzilla movies...

ZONE FIGHTER (Godzilla, King Ghidorah and Gigan appear)
GO! GODMAN (several Toho movie monsters appear)
GO! GREENMAN (several Toho movie monsters appear)
NEW PRODUCTION: GO! GODMAN (Sanda appears in DVD special)

ZONE FIGHTER info: http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2009/11/14/zone-fighter-series-guide/

GODMAN and GREENMAN info: http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2008/05/16/tohos-new-go-godman-on-the-set-report-gaira-returns/

****

If you want to "step outside the box", the Rankin/Bass animated KING KONG show inspired both GODZILLA VS THE SEA MONSTER and KING KONG ESCAPES: http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2008/12/20/king-kong-cartoon-series-guide/

And TriStar's GODZILLA movie and cartoon GODZILLA: THE SERIES starred the monster who returned to (briefly) fight Godzilla in GODZILLA: FINAL WARS.[/hide]
Ah I didn't know about those last two films. Thanks very much for the extra info. Is that Sazer X film you mentioned referring to a spin off of the third "Star Gods" series?

The Tristar film is something of a guilty pleasure of mine. I have it on VHS from when it first came out, and later bought it on DVD from a bargain bin. It may not be true to the spirit of the Japanese original, but it's a fun monster flick.
 
I have DVDs in Regions 1,2, and 3 but I don't have VLC Player, so I'll get it and I test that. MPC is said to be much better than VLC in every way, but if this ability to fool the computer and play another region is true, then VLC will have one thing over MPC.

Most players are able to be unlocked to play all regions. I unlocked one so that I could play Region 3. It only takes a short process with a short code. You can search for your DVD player here: http://www.videohelp.com/ but if it's obscure, then just try Google.
 
I live in the UK, which is region 2 along with the rest of Europe. Amazon and ebay have loads of copies of the film...but they're all imports of the region one version. I am considering trying to get hold of a second-hand DVD player on the cheap and switching it's region, but it seems a bit much for one movie. If a bunch of them are only available in region one though, it could be worth it. The other possibility I heard is that VLC Player will quite happily ignore region coding and play a disk regardless, but I don't want to go importing DVDs on the strength of an online theory.

There are inexpensive DVDs players (Apex, for example) that can be unlocked by punching in a code number and will play any region, NTSC and PAL discs.

Ah I didn't know about those last two films. Thanks very much for the extra info.

You're very welcome.

Is that Sazer X film you mentioned referring to a spin off of the third "Star Gods" series?

Yes, it is. The movie came out in 2005 and stars the Sazer X team, with guest appearances by the Gransazers and Justirisers. The Japanese title roughly translates as "Super Star Fleet Sazer-X the Movie: Fight! Star Soldiers" but I went with the official English title used by Toho.

Toho released the film in Japan, but doesn't control the international rights since both the series and movie were co-productions with other companies (TV Tokyo, Konami, etc) and the rights were divided among the participants. As far as I know, SUPERFLEET SAZER X hasn't been released with English subs or dubs.
 
The VLC thing totally works, Toku Prime!

I am Region 1 and I played Region 2 Paradise Lost, followed by Region 3 특.수.본 which I will watch now.
 
Toho released the film in Japan, but doesn't control the international rights since both the series and movie were co-productions with other companies (TV Tokyo, Konami, etc) and the rights were divided among the participants. As far as I know, SUPERFLEET SAZER X hasn't been released with English subs or dubs.
Yeah that seems to be quite a common way of doing things over there. I guess it spreads the financial risk, but it also does a great job of restricting your show to one country. Still, if I get curious I know the fansubbers have covered it along with the three shows.
The VLC thing totally works, Toku Prime!

I am Region 1 and I played Region 2 Paradise Lost, followed by Region 3 특.수.본 which I will watch now.
Aah cool. That may be the way forwards then. Thanks.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top