The "Say Something Nice About Go-Onger" Thread!

A couple things:

- The Go-On Wings
- It introduced us to Yumi Sugimoto (kinda supplementing that last one)
- The Sousuke's "Death" arc
- Kireizky (for the few episodes he was in, he definitely was a bright spot)

That is pretty much on my list of good things for the series aswell.
 
I can help you with that. At least, my reasoning. It really bugged me how Gunpei was supposed to be this super serious cop meant to snap the Go-Onger out of their "amateur-ness" way early on....and he just got dragged down there with the rest of them. I actually like the others better than him--at least they were goofballs from day one.

My theory about that is that the writers switched gears due to the actor's inability to play the character as super-serious. When Go-onger first started, for those first few episodes, I didn't like Gunpei. He was irritating with how cool he was trying to be, the actor was awkward. (Ebisawa even said in an interview that he had a hard time playing the tough guy.) So, rather than force him to act that way the entire series, it seemed to me that the writers decided to write him to suit the performer more. Instead of Gunpei being a super-serious hard-ass, it became that he was just that cool hard-ass in his own mind -- he wasn't as cool as he thought he was, and that freed the actor up to be more lighthearted. I thought it worked. :shrug: And we still saw episodes where Gunpei showed he did have experience and smarts over the others (like when the rest are easily brainwashed).

I always compare it to Bouken Black. Boukenger tried really hard to make Masumi a really cool, dangerous Black Condor type, and the actor was completely incapable of pulling it off (and was also waaaay too young). The writers should have let that go and started writing something to suit the actor more, as they did with Gunpei, but they just kept trying to force him to be something the actor couldn't convey. And, yes, Toei should cast people who are able to play the part as it's written, but that's not the way they operate anymore, now is it? :loltongue:
 
what? Go-onger was awesome. All the songs were catchy, their were a lot of characters to love, the engines are down right adorable, where hanto goes hilarity is soon to follow, Seriously the dance numbers made me want to get up and dance to them, Go-on wings had awesome looking suits, and I really felt like I was connecting with the characters in the show majority of the season felt like character development which is good
 
My theory about that is that the writers switched gears due to the actor's inability to play the character as super-serious. When Go-onger first started, for those first few episodes, I didn't like Gunpei. He was irritating with how cool he was trying to be, the actor was awkward. (Ebisawa even said in an interview that he had a hard time playing the tough guy.) So, rather than force him to act that way the entire series, it seemed to me that the writers decided to write him to suit the performer more. Instead of Gunpei being a super-serious hard-ass, it became that he was just that cool hard-ass in his own mind -- he wasn't as cool as he thought he was, and that freed the actor up to be more lighthearted. I thought it worked. :shrug: And we still saw episodes where Gunpei showed he did have experience and smarts over the others (like when the rest are easily brainwashed).

Fair point. Its smart writing if that's what happened, and its true. I didn't buy the guy as a serious actor. He seemed an unwelcome interference, and the whole, "I'll make you guys better" thing has never worked anyway.

I always compare it to Bouken Black. Boukenger tried really hard to make Masumi a really cool, dangerous Black Condor type, and the actor was completely incapable of pulling it off (and was also waaaay too young). The writers should have let that go and started writing something to suit the actor more, as they did with Gunpei, but they just kept trying to force him to be something the actor couldn't convey. And, yes, Toei should cast people who are able to play the part as it's written, but that's not the way they operate anymore, now is it? :loltongue:

Different situation. BoukenBlack was NEVER going to be the bad-ass they wanted him to be. I have no idea how it works in Sentai as I've never seen it in the few series I've watched, but its a pretty common anime deal: The darkhorse character who outshines the spirited but inexperienced main character while simultaneously being a dick about it to him and his allies. Masumi, right?

But that's NEVER going to work alongside a competent, powerful hero like BoukenRed. He's just going to come off as a douche pretending to be cool while the guy everyone respects goes off and does Hero Work.

When you think about it that way, if he'd been cast properly he'd have looked ridiculous, no? Or perhaps that's just the way I perceived him. I know dude wanted to come off hard, but to me he was the Chiaki of the team.
 
What? Fail. :P You can say Shinkenger is crap, but saying Go-Onger is better just isn't right. :D
Shinkenger isn't bad I don't dislike but at least Go-on felt like it was doing something for the majority of it's episodes despite being episodic in nature.
Shinkenger was kinda like oh crap we have a plot right lets hurry and finish it off for the final few. Even Go-on's finale had more bang to it.
Overall I just enjoyed it way more than shinkenger it really wasn't that exciting for me.
 
I guess I'm the only one that can enjoy Den-O and Go-onger.
Yet I'm amazed when people consider Kabuto above it.
 
I guess I'm the only one that can enjoy Den-O and Go-onger.
Yet I'm amazed when people consider Kabuto above it.

Well, i consider Den-O and Kabuto on equal ground. They both started off strong then started faltering just after mid-season and had lukewarm finishes.

Anyway, back on topic:

The fact they where basically subservient to the Gekirangers during there team up.
 
I always compare it to Bouken Black. Boukenger tried really hard to make Masumi a really cool, dangerous Black Condor type, and the actor was completely incapable of pulling it off (and was also waaaay too young).

I don't think they were going for that. Bouken Black wanted to be the rival, but he was actually treated more like an apprentice by Bouken Red. That's why he needed to look younger. The Chiaki comparison that Sage Shinigami mentioned is probably closer to the truth.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top