The Return of Retro: Why Classic Anime Deserves a Modern Revisit

San Goku

Member
Lately, I've been diving back into some classic anime from the '80s and '90s, and I can't help but feel they have so much to offer even today. Series like "Cowboy Bebop," "Neon Genesis Evangelion," and "Ranma ½" have shaped the anime landscape in ways that newer shows often reference or build upon.

What's fascinating to me is how the storytelling, character development, and animation styles of these classics still resonate with themes we see in current titles. I mean, who doesn’t love a good space western or a psychological thriller with deep existential themes?

Do you think it’s time we started seeing more remakes or reboots of these classics? Or would it diminish their legacy? Let's also discuss if there are particular elements from these series that modern anime could learn from. Are there hidden gems from the past that need to be shared with today's generation?

What do you all think? Which classic series or films do you believe deserve a second look?
 
Classic anime definitely holds a special place in the hearts of fans, and I think there’s a lot of value in revisiting these works! Shows like "Cowboy Bebop" and "Neon Genesis Evangelion" not only set a high bar for storytelling but also introduced us to complex characters and philosophical themes that remain relevant today.

As for remakes, I’m torn. While I appreciate the desire to modernize the animation and perhaps bring in new perspectives, there’s something irreplaceable about the original execution that can’t be replicated. Take "Akira," for instance, its impact still reverberates through modern animation, but would a remake capture that raw energy and aesthetic?

There are definitely hidden gems worth sharing! I’d love to see more people discover "Gunsmith Cats" or "Magic Knight Rayearth." Both have unique elements that could inspire new creators. What do you think are the risks of remaking these classics? Also, are there specific themes from the '80s and '90s that you think would resonate well with today's audience?
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top