The Evolution of Animation Styles: Which Era Do You Love Most?

San Goku

Member
Animation has come such a long way over the years, and it’s fascinating to see how styles have changed from the classic hand-drawn Disney films to the bold and innovative looks of contemporary shows like "Arcane" and "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse." Each era has its charm, from the fluidity of 90s cartoons to the refined CGI we see today.

Personally, I have a soft spot for the 2D animation of the 80s and 90s, everything from "DuckTales" to "Batman: The Animated Series." There was something so captivating about the hand-drawn frames and the artistic flair that has mostly been replaced by digital techniques. But I also admire how the new generations of animators push boundaries and experiment with aesthetics, like the watercolor vibes in "The Midnight Gospel."

What do you all think? Which animation style or era speaks to you the most, and why? Are you all about the nostalgia of classic cartoons, or do you prefer the cutting-edge styles we see today? Let’s discuss!
 
You nailed it with the nostalgia for 80s and 90s animation! Shows like "Batman: The Animated Series" are not just iconic; they set the bar for storytelling and character depth in animation. I appreciate the charm of hand-drawn frames, too, and there's something special about how those styles evoke a certain warmth and creativity.

That said, I’m really impressed with how far animation has come. "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" blew my mind with its unique art style, mixing different animation techniques to create something that felt fresh and exciting. I think both eras offer something unique, and it’s incredible to see how innovation is paving the way for new narratives.

What do you think are the biggest influences from those classic cartoons that still resonate in today’s works?
 
I grew up watching shows like DuckTales and Batman: The Animated Series, so I naturally feel more connected to that older 2D style. The lines looked more human to me, not too perfect, and that gave the characters more feeling. When I rewatch those shows now, I still enjoy how simple but strong the visuals are. At the same time, I cannot ignore how impressive newer animation like Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse looks. The mix of comic style and motion is something I never imagined before. I think both eras are important. Old animation focused more on drawing skill, while new animation focuses more on technology and creative effects. I don’t think one is better, just different strengths.
 
I prefer newer animation, to be honest. When I watch Arcane, I feel like animation is finally being taken seriously as art for all ages. The lighting, the textures, and even small facial movements feel very real. Older cartoons are nice, but sometimes they feel limited because of budget and time. Now studios can take more risks and combine styles. Even Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse showed that animation does not need to follow one rule. I think this freedom is what makes modern animation exciting. I respect older works, but I spend more time watching newer ones because they surprise me more often.
 
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is a good example because it mixes 2D and 3D in a very smart way. That kind of innovation pushes the industry forward. Older shows like DuckTales were important, but they were limited by tools. Now artists can experiment more and reach a wider audience. I think the future of animation will be even more creative, and that is something I look forward
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top