THE DOG STARS ~ To Be Released August 28, 2026

Mango Sorbet

What Am I made for?
The trailer made him look tired, lonely, and honestly kind of broken. That works better for me because surviving that kind of world should feel exhausting. Jacob Elordi also surprised me. I only knew him from Euphoria and The Kissing Booth before, but lately he keeps picking darker and more serious roles. Josh Brolin feels perfect for Bangley too because he already has that rough survival look naturally. The dog is honestly the emotional center for me already. Every apocalypse movie with a dog automatically becomes more stressful because I spend the whole movie worrying about the animal. Ridley Scott directing this makes me expect strong visuals at least. I just hope the movie focuses more on human relationships and isolation instead of turning into another loud action movie with endless gunfights.
 
I read the novel years ago, so I am curious how much they will change. The book was quieter and more reflective than most apocalypse stories. A lot of it was about loneliness and memory instead of nonstop danger. That can be hard to translate into a big studio movie because studios usually want more action scenes. Still, I think Ridley Scott can handle atmosphere really well when he wants to. The airplane scenes already look beautiful from the trailer. Jacob Elordi was not my first choice for Hig honestly, but after seeing the footage, I kind of understand it now. He has that distant look that fits the character. Josh Brolin feels exactly how I imagined Bangley while reading. I also appreciate that the story does not pretend humanity magically becomes kind after disaster. Usually these stories show both decent people and terrible people surviving together, and that feels more believable to me.
 
The part that sold me was honestly the radio signal. That idea always works on me because it creates hope but also danger at the same time. You never know if the people responding are friendly or completely insane. I think that kind of tension is stronger than constant action scenes. Ridley Scott also usually knows how to make abandoned places feel huge and empty, so visually this could end up looking amazing in theaters. I do think the release timing is funny though because we keep getting pandemic-related stories even years after real life already exhausted people emotionally. Still, this one seems more focused on personal survival instead of politics or society collapsing. Jacob Elordi keeps getting major projects very quickly. Some people still only associate him with Euphoria, but his career choices lately are honestly pretty ambitious. The dog better survive though. I am serious about that. If something happens to the dog, people online are going to lose their minds immediately.
 
I am mixed on this right now. The visuals look strong, but the trailer also feels very familiar. Lonely survivor, abandoned America, radio message, possible safe haven, distrustful older partner. I have definitely seen variations of this setup many times already. What will matter is whether the characters feel real enough to carry it. Jacob Elordi is improving a lot as an actor though. A few years ago I would not imagine him leading a Ridley Scott survival drama. Josh Brolin feels like safe casting because he basically specializes in tough older men at this point, but at least he is reliable. I think the movie will probably depend on the emotional side more than the action side. If Hig’s grief and loneliness feel believable, people will connect with it. If not, it could just become another apocalypse movie people forget after a month. I still plan to watch it because the flying scenes alone already look worth seeing on a big screen.
 
What I like most is that Hig does not seem fearless. In the trailer he actually looks nervous and uncertain, which makes more sense for someone living through that kind of world. I get tired of apocalypse protagonists acting like they are professional soldiers after two weeks of surviving. The relationship between Hig and Bangley looks interesting too because they clearly depend on each other while also disagreeing constantly. That kind of partnership usually creates the best scenes. Josh Brolin can probably play this role in his sleep by now, but I mean that positively because he fits naturally. Jacob Elordi still surprises me every time I see him in serious projects. His career changed direction really quickly. Ridley Scott doing another sci-fi story also feels right even if this is more grounded than Alien or Blade Runner. The
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top