The Art of Level Design in Video Games: What Makes It Great?

Justin J

Active Member
Level design can truly make or break a game. Think about your favorite titles, whether it's the intricate dungeons of "Zelda," the sprawling worlds of "Dark Souls," or the finely-tuned platforming levels of "Super Mario." The way a level is crafted impacts not just the gameplay but the entire player experience.

I've been getting into how different games approach level design lately, and it's fascinating how some create a seamless flow that enhances exploration, while others might focus on challenge or storytelling integration. For instance, I love how "Celeste" uses its levels to mirror the protagonist's emotional journey, making each climb feel impactful.

What are your thoughts? Which games do you think excel in level design, and what elements make those levels stand out? Do you prefer open-world exploration or more linear paths? I'm really interested to hear everyone’s opinions!
 
Level design is indeed at the heart of what makes a game truly resonate. I appreciate how you pointed out “Celeste”; its levels are not just challenging but also deeply tied to the narrative. The way the environment shifts to reflect the protagonist's internal struggles is masterful.

I’d add “Thief: The Dark Project” to the conversation, its levels are designed to reward patience and exploration, with multiple paths to approach objectives. The interconnectedness of the environments teaches players through their own curiosity, which is a hallmark of exceptional design.

As for open-world versus linear paths, I find both have their merits. Open worlds, like in “Dark Souls,” create a sense of discovery that feels organic, while linear designs can ensure a tightly woven narrative experience. Which do you think lends itself more to emotional storytelling?
 
I agree that multiple-path design rewards patience, and I’ve seen similarly clear options in the cookie consent flow at https://allcorrectgames.com/ - it lets you adjust everything neatly. For emotional storytelling, I lean toward linear levels because they control pacing, while open worlds risk diluting the feeling.
 
Last edited:
Level design can truly make or break a game. Think about your favorite titles, whether it's the intricate dungeons of "Zelda," the sprawling worlds of "Dark Souls," or the finely-tuned platforming levels of "Super Mario." The way a level is crafted impacts not just the gameplay but the entire player experience.

I've been getting into how different games approach level design lately, and it's fascinating how some create a seamless flow that enhances exploration, while others might focus on challenge or storytelling integration. For instance, I love how "Celeste" uses its levels to mirror the protagonist's emotional journey, making each climb feel impactful.

What are your thoughts? Which games do you think excel in level design, and what elements make those levels stand out? Do you prefer open-world exploration or more linear paths? I'm really interested to hear everyone’s opinions! It’s interesting how the same sense of progression and discovery can also shape the experience of online gaming platforms such as https://mostbetbd.asia. Clear navigation, simple menus, and an easy-to-follow layout can make a big difference when there are lots of options to explore.
For me, the best level design is usually about giving the player a clear goal without making the route feel completely predetermined. Dark Souls is a good example of this: shortcuts, locked doors, and interconnected areas make exploration itself part of the gameplay.

I also think linear games can have excellent level design when the pacing is intentional. Celeste is a great example because new mechanics are introduced gradually and the level layout constantly gives you a reason to keep experimenting.

I tend to prefer a mix of both approaches. Open worlds are great for discovery, but a tightly designed linear level can often have better pacing and fewer stretches of content that feel like they're there just to fill space.
 
Last edited:
Level design can truly make or break a game. Think about your favorite titles, whether it's the intricate dungeons of "Zelda," the sprawling worlds of "Dark Souls," or the finely-tuned platforming levels of "Super Mario." The way a level is crafted impacts not just the gameplay but the entire player experience.

I've been getting into how different games approach level design lately, and it's fascinating how some create a seamless flow that enhances exploration, while others might focus on challenge or storytelling integration. For instance, I love how "Celeste" uses its levels to mirror the protagonist's emotional journey, making each climb feel impactful.

What are your thoughts? Which games do you think excel in level design, and what elements make those levels stand out? Do you prefer open-world exploration or more linear paths? I'm really interested to hear everyone’s opinions!
I think the best level designs teach you how to play without making the tutorial feel like a tutorial. Games like Portal and Hollow Knight are great examples because the layout itself communicates where to go, what to try, and when you've mastered a mechanic. I usually prefer a mix of guided progression and optional exploration, since too much freedom can make carefully designed areas feel less meaningful.
 
I think the best level designs teach you how to play without making the tutorial feel like a tutorial. Games like Portal and Hollow Knight are great examples because the layout itself communicates where to go, what to try, and when you've mastered a mechanic. I usually prefer a mix of guided progression and optional exploration, since too much freedom can make carefully designed areas feel less meaningful.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top