Sony cutting 80GB PS3 price to $400 in September, ditching backwards compatibility

That's cool... backwards compatability isn't that big a deal to me, I have both my PS1 and PS2 still hooked up.

So... tempting.
 
That's cool... backwards compatability isn't that big a deal to me, I have both my PS1 and PS2 still hooked up.

So... tempting.

Considering the fact that with the original 20,40 and 80 gig models the PS1 and PS2 playback had HDMI upscaling, that they still won't put it back is very lame. But then, this is the kind of lame ass bullshit I have come to expect from sony.
 
Dude, at least its a price cut. Not everyone needs backwards compatibility (though I do need it). Its a step towards what everyone wants, cheaper PS3s. The compatibility will probably come back soon anyways for the 80GB.
 
For 50 bucks more you can get an elite with all the hook ups you could want including HDMI cables. I wonder if sony will even bother packing in Svideo cables this time.
 
A lot of those hook ups you have to pay extra for anyways, right? I still say they are getting closer. No one is denying that the 360's got their **** together. But, at least Sony is makin an effort.
 
Only thing stopping me from buying a 360 is all these problems I've been hearing. I don't want my console to die on me a month after owning it.

Besides, I'll admit that PS3's a lot more fun then I thought it'd be
 
A 20gig PS3 still has PS1 upscaling... I'll assume that the 80s do as well unless they only removed it from the 80s, which wouldn't make sense as its already built into the ps emulator.

As for the issues with not getting any HD hookups included. It's not that big a deal, the hdmi cable is going to cost you less than $50, and most people with a decent hdtv and a video card made after 2005 will probably already have that hdmi cable sitting around for video output. When i got my PS3 I saw the hookups and figgured. 'great, I'll leave these at my friends in case I ever take it over', grabbed a spare hdmi cable, removed the optic cable from my ps2, and was good to. It's not a huge deal really.

As for the removed backwards compatibility issue, it's a loss, but it's not the end of the world... considering the price and availability of a PS2slim, it's not a huge dent. Even with only having PS1 BC, its still a better library than the original xbox had, and I personally would rather not burn out a laser on games that i can just as easily play on my PS2 or PS2slim.
 
As for the removed backwards compatibility issue, it's a loss, but it's not the end of the world... considering the price and availability of a PS2slim, it's not a huge dent. Even with only having PS1 BC, its still a better library than the original xbox had, and I personally would rather not burn out a laser on games that i can just as easily play on my PS2 or PS2slim.


Yeah, I still use my PS2 games for that...then again, I'll admit that most of my PS2 games are burnt. So I can't play them anyway on my PS3 even if I wanted:shakefist
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top