So according to this "GUY" all otaku are perverts.

No matter what we can't stop broad generalizations, people will look at the worst part of the fandom and say hey all of them must be like that. But that doesn't mean I won't be insulted if they try to label me as a "rapist, pedophile or convict" People are going to make broad generalizations like this and only look at one side, as someone who plans to go into Journalism one day I suprised how badly this article is written. If your tackling any subject you must try to look at two different sides. What about the casual fan? Or why do cosplayers dress up? To only make one bad genralization in bad enough trying to defend it bad gathered fact makes me think he's talking bullshit. You can try to take one side but you must keep in mind that you must answer the other side as well, because they have good points too. Look you can say anime needs to clean up it's act but at least acknowledge the good aspects of the fandom too. Because lets face it, we love it, and not all of us are perverted as this article makes us look.
 
No matter what we can't stop broad generalizations, people will look at the worst part of the fandom and say hey all of them must be like that. But that doesn't mean I won't be insulted if they try to label me as a "rapist, pedophile or convict" People are going to make broad generalizations like this and only look at one side, as someone who plans to go into Journalism one day I suprised how badly this article is written. If your tackling any subject you must try to look at two different sides. What about the casual fan? Or why do cosplayers dress up? To only make one bad genralization in bad enough trying to defend it bad gathered fact makes me think he's talking bullshit. You can try to take one side but you must keep in mind that you must answer the other side as well, because they have good points too. Look you can say anime needs to clean up it's act but at least acknowledge the good aspects of the fandom too. Because lets face it, we love it, and not all of us are perverted as this article makes us look.

Usually the more immature/worst parts of a community is most of the community, therefore there is justification in making a generalization like I stated before. See gathering of facts can be both the journalists fault and the communities fault for not pointing the journalist in the right way to let him or her know what their fandom is all about and without making a justified generalization. A similar stint happened at Anime Vegas 2007. It was both the Journalists fault for not delving deeper, and both the communities fault for not telling her the right information about what is going on. or not correcting the multiple 20 year old pervs that acts like a 8 year olds during a few interviews.

You loving anime is not going to change, and that is good. My or the public eye's views on when we meet an "otaku" we make assumptions, a good amount of which justified, that can change with a group effort. That seems like to much effort, especially how a majority of the fandom act childish. I'm fine with the generalization of all anime fans like porn and are so ronrey, its just one of those things that take too much work to change and not enough pay off. Now for me I don't make the same assumption for everyone, I usually can judge them based on their appearance, voice, personality, and mannerism in a few minutes or so.
 
True I have met my share of otaku who are perverts but there not bad people at least the ones I met. I try not to make generalizations myself and I get along with most people as much as I hate to agree with somethings this asshole says, I do have to concede that anime needs to work it **** out. Frankly I just wished he asked people from within the fandom before making this article and have quotes from them. Say how they feel about and frankly I wish he did more research.Because while yes gurren lagann is perverted(At some points) at least it doesn't involve tentacle rape, or just rape in general. Oh and comparing it to porn? IT"S FREAKING PG-13 AT BEST! (besides the cut of episode 6). Look porn is porn it's something to wank off too preferable alone, a television show that has some scantly dressed girls is well something to watch and maybe enjoy with friends to watch while quoting it. Look anime is no worse than most pg13 or R movies, but looking at only hentai is not a good way to write article on anime.
 
True I have met my share of otaku who are perverts but there not bad people at least the ones I met. I try not to make generalizations myself and I get along with most people as much as I hate to agree with somethings this asshole says, I do have to concede that anime needs to work it **** out. Frankly I just wished he asked people from within the fandom before making this article and have quotes from them. Say how they feel about and frankly I wish he did more research.Because while yes gurren lagann is perverted(At some points) at least it doesn't involve tentacle rape, or just rape in general. Oh and comparing it to porn? IT"S FREAKING PG-13 AT BEST! (besides the cut of episode 6). Look porn is porn it's something to wank off too preferable alone, a television show that has some scantly dressed girls is well something to watch and maybe enjoy with friends to watch while quoting it. Look anime is no worse than most pg13 or R movies, but looking at only hentai is not a good way to write article on anime.

PG-13 or Not it still alludes to the ecchi flavor, which was the point not if it is actually porn or not, but it is still sexual. And I believe I already stated that it doesn't matter if its actually porn, did you not read my initial posts before you responded or did I need to put more emphasis by bolding it like so? Oh and a side note if you included Parallel Works into the whole Gurren Lagann picture I really wouldn't call it PG-13 (Tits and little boy penis etc.). Now that last sentence I'm not sure what it has to do with my post, I believe most of this know that fact already.

So let me state this again, it does not matter if it is actually porn or not, what matters that Almost all anime has the ecchi flavor that alludes to sexual acts. And a majority of the anime fan lot eat it up.
 
Last edited:
Sorry I think I just misread your first post. Look the problem I have with this article is how poorly researched it is. Look I know i can't stop people making generalizations about anime, but I at least want him to do his homework. Taking two random anime and comparing them when they have nothing in common is just bad writing and that really what it boils down too. As much has you say the fandom dosn't defend themselves did this article mention any fan trying to defend themselves? Or How about actually going to a convetion and maybe talking to people there? and yes a lot of has ecchi and some people lap it up but the article only talke about the porn seems to focus on a very small portion of anime at that. Look I just don't like articles that are poorly researched about something he seems to only have a passing knowledge too. You can't write good articles unless you go in depth and this only a shallow look at the biggest most embarrassing part of anime. and If it any consolation I make big deal about poor reserch because it may cause me to hate something I don't understand. For a while I was convinced that most teens dramas, goths, and emo music was all well ****. But as I grew older and more wiser I realized that you can't take something at face value and while they are some of the stupid **** I was afraid of in those fandoms I learned that i was making judgment based off bad information on articles like these. Frankly any writer should know not to take something as face value but all this article showed was a guy who thought "Hmm I could make a shocking article out of this" Frankly I don't think he talked to fans and he did he didn't mention them in the article.
 
Sorry I think I just misread your first post. Look the problem I have with this article is how poorly researched it is. Look I know i can't stop people making generalizations about anime, but I at least want him to do his homework. Taking two random anime and comparing them when they have nothing in common is just bad writing and that really what it boils down too. As much has you say the fandom dosn't defend themselves did this article mention any fan trying to defend themselves? Or How about actually going to a convetion and maybe talking to people there? and yes a lot of has ecchi and some people lap it up but the article only talke about the porn seems to focus on a very small portion of anime at that. Look I just don't like articles that are poorly researched about something he seems to only have a passing knowledge too. You can't write good articles unless you go in depth and this only a shallow look at the biggest most embarrassing part of anime. and If it any consolation I make big deal about poor reserch because it may cause me to hate something I don't understand. For a while I was convinced that most teens dramas, goths, and emo music was all well ****. But as I grew older and more wiser I realized that you can't take something at face value and while they are some of the stupid **** I was afraid of in those fandoms I learned that i was making judgment based off bad information on articles like these. Frankly any writer should know not to take something as face value but all this article showed was a guy who thought "Hmm I could make a shocking article out of this" Frankly I don't think he talked to fans and he did he didn't mention them in the article.

No the article does not mention a fan defending himself, but has any fan contacted the writer with a GOOD AND WELL WRITTEN e-mail letting him know the errors in his writing without seeming like an angry jerk? See this is what I mean when stuff like this happens usually a community will bitch amongst themselves and leave the writer comments such as "U suk big dik anime is cool those 2 shows are different you no nothing shut up I haet you whos the big twat now?". That is what I am talking about, in another situation how the community could defend themselves terms would be different. See for some reason anime fans seem to think whining, bitching, and making petitions gets **** done, when really there is not a single example of when any of those 3 got something done on the internet. The rest of your post isn't so interesting to me to be frank, hmm thats a word you seem to like to use, I see what you are saying, personal experience of poor research although written with freshman level grammar, its just creating emphasis on how you don't like poor research, which I understand and I didn't say you shouldn't like poor research or how the article does not have poor research.
 
I actually did email him about it after I read it. There is that handy email link in the article. I try to defend as much as I can and hope it amounts to something, whenever someone asks me about getting into something I always try to go with small steps and show something they may might like. Defending is hard but I do hope we get either a retraction or a follow up that is well more thought and researched is what I'm hoping for at this point. I was also fairly polite about it, yes I didn't bitch at him I just said he only looked at one portion of the fandom and he needed to get some things strait heck I even tried linking some sights and other articles to point these thing out. Look I know bitching about it wont' help, but I do try to defend what love if I am able.
 
Last edited:
Small FYI, he wasn't comparing them, he was contrasting them.

But sexually-suggestive and explicit anime like "Gurren Lagann" and "Legend of the Overfiend,"

Gurren Lagann =sexually-suggestive, Overfiend = explicit

Also, the artical doesn't make otaku look all that bad, compared to Japan. Any Japanese articles about them would be 10x worse.

guh that last line annoys me, if you see a kid reading a manga he's not just reading a comic book, geez does he even know how intense modern comic books are?

I think he meant it more in the sense that he's not just reading a book, he's part of a whole sub culture.
 
Gurren Lagann =sexually-suggestive, Overfiend = explicit

Also, the artical doesn't make otaku look all that bad, compared to Japan. Any Japanese articles about them would be 10x worse.

He's right. Otaku have been demonized in Japan, mainly because of Tsutomu Miyazaki. He damaged the reputation of the otaku in Japan, much like how Frederic Wertham did for comic-books in the US (only comics survived).

A less derogatory word, though, is "mania" (pronounced "MA nee ah"). When I talked with Gainax co-founder Hiroaki Inoue, he called me a "tokusatsu no mania," and of course, he meant it in a good way. I guess "mania" is more acceptable than "otaku" in Japan . . . :)
 
He's right. Otaku have been demonized in Japan, mainly because of Tsutomu Miyazaki. He damaged the reputation of the otaku in Japan, much like how Frederic Wertham did for comic-books in the US (only comics survived).

A less derogatory word, though, is "mania" (pronounced "MA nee ah"). When I talked with Gainax co-founder Hiroaki Inoue, he called me a "tokusatsu no mania," and of course, he meant it in a good way. I guess "mania" is more acceptable than "otaku" in Japan . . . :)

I figure it's the same difference between a fan and a fanboy.

Also, you're a lucky bastard and I hate you.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top