[ASIAN-ENT] Shaw Bros. vs. Golden Harvest/Independent

Yeah, the "testosterone-filled" films of Chang Cheh mainly. . . Heroic Bloodshed was the genre he created.
 
That's just his style. He likes to kill his main actors. In my opinion, LKL was a much better director. Chang Cheh was slightly overrated. That's not to say he wasn't a good director, I just think he had less skill with choreography.
 
That's just his style. He likes to kill his main actors. In my opinion, LKL was a much better director. Chang Cheh was slightly overrated. That's not to say he wasn't a good director, I just think he had less skill with choreography.

Yeah, I understand that. The main movies I like of Chang Cheh are the ones choreographed by LKL and his brother LKW. So I understand exactly what you are saying.
 
Chang Cheh's earlier films, before LKL became a major choreographer, wouldn't even have impressive fighting. They were very epic and brutal, but just didn't have much style. That's why even though David Chiang was a big star for Shaw Bros., he didn't have any kind of martial arts prowess the way Gordon Liu did. But that can't be said of Ti Lung. That man was raised a martial artist.
 
Chang Cheh's earlier films, before LKL became a major choreographer, wouldn't even have impressive fighting. They were very epic and brutal, but just didn't have much style. That's why even though David Chiang was a big star for Shaw Bros., he didn't have any kind of martial arts prowess the way Gordon Liu did. But that can't be said of Ti Lung. That man was raised a martial artist.

EXACTLY!!! From an interview with LKL the "shapes" or "styles" weren't used until they needed something to combat Bruce's popularity. Before LKL and LKW took over choreography they were just HIGH impact brawls. Also, I never really liked David Chiang but he was the MAN in Shaolin Mantis. Whoever hasn't seen this movie HAS too. Also, Ti Lung is just a mans man, just like Chi Kuan Chun and Chen Kuan Tai. Those three are the epitomy of testosterone to me...lol
 
I think David Chiang kinda got stale in his later films. He was a great "young and hot-headed" hero kinda guy. When he got older, his appeal started to wane somewhat. Ti Lung had the look for all ages, I just think David Chiang's appeal only went so far when he got into his 30s. That's kinda why Ti Lung and Gordon Liu went on to many more films, like Drunken Master II (Lung) and Kill Bill (Liu). They've had that staying power.

That's why, to this day, I still never have as much respect for actors from Shaw Bros. Jet Li, Jackie Chan, and Sammo Hung have stayed popular and relevant into their 50s. No big stars from Shaw Bros. have been able to stay A-list actors and choreographers in Hong Kong the way they have. Honestly think about it. All Gordon Liu does are HK b-movies and television series. I think that's because without Shaw Bros. high budgets, creative control, and well written scripts, they weren't as good in films. Shaw Bros. was their saving grace. Jackie and Sammo made themselves famous.
 
In certain aspects you are right, but on the other hand they actually left the acting business for other things and only come back every once in a while. Gordon Liu is a singer and he left to pursue that. Chi Kuan Chun teaches martial arts. Others just out grew it and moved on. But you are right, the acting and choreography of those three are what the new audiences still want to see and thats a good thing.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top