Real Women, Real Curves, Real Beauty?

Faded.Memories

Im not straight but my boyfriend is
I just watched a segment on this talk show called the "Gill Deacon Show". Yes, you can laugh, because normally I do not watch talk shows, as a matter of fact I hate them. But just as I was about to change the channel, she announced that she was going to be interviewing this model agent Ben Barry, who has begun to change fashion by taking on models of every size, shape, ethnenticity and age. So I decided to watch it, and in just hearing what he's been doing for fashion made me feel better about myself.
I can't say how happy it makes me to see things like bigger girls in magazine ads or on tv ads now. Like, the dove commercials. Anyone seen those? Where they have the older women modeling, or they give the teenage girls cameras to go around their town and take pictures of things they find 'beautiful'? Here are some examples of the ads:

[hide]
pajamapundits-dovewomen.jpg


thai_flat_bust.jpg


DoveAd.jpg


dove.jpg
[/hide]

See, growing up in my teen years, I was always a bigger girl. I remember being in grade 7 and thinking I was fat. I remember being teased by other girls because my breasts were large and they weren't. No seventh grader should have to think that. And as a young teen, I never ever thought I was beautiful to anyone, and therefore I never went on any dates with guys really, I tended to stay away from them. And now when I look back on pictures of myself from then, I go, " Jesus. I thought I was fat? I had curves yes, but damn I was a babe!!!"
I wish I could have that opinion about myself now, because nothing is more beautiful than being confident in yourself. But there are still those days when I just feel ugly and fat, and I find myself wondering 'what if' I was slim. Sometimes though, I do think I'm beautiful, and sexy, and those days are just so uplifting. Anyways, I thought that now that there are a few women around, we could share our opinions on the changing fashion/media industry, even though I'm pretty sure that most of the women here are slim and small, I'm sure you all have insecurities like I do.
 
well this is certainly an interesting topic, hmm as a guy i hope it's cool if i put in my 2 cents

i've met a lot of really beautiful girls, most of which are obsessed with excercise, despite what i tell them and covinced that they're ugly, i really hope that they get over such an obsession

yeah i'm glad companies have released ads like that to show that you don't have to have a BAM BAM BAM lingerie model ad to be sexy. overall i think sexy is smarts, confidence, and humor no body can beat those three factors

btw that first picture brings back memroies, i remember seeing it on bilboards, buses, and ads, everywhere in sf last year, :laugh:
 
I hope you don't mind a guy (and a married one at that) throwing 2 cents into this thread. I work at a bookstore so I see magazine covers all the time and I have to tell you I've honestly never understood where magazines and media get the idea that what we guys want is skeletons with fake chests. Or even this thing that there is only one single body type that we respond to. That a hetero sexual male is totally void of any sense of variety outside of hair color or breast size.

Curves and hips are absolutely wonderful. Just as well, there are girls who really pull off that slender body type without looking at all unhealthy. So if you're ever wondering what we like I'll tell ya. We like women!
 
Impulse87 said:
most of which are obsessed with excercise, despite what i tell them and covinced that they're ugly, i really hope that they get over such an obsession

It's difficult for some women. When you grow up, as a child and young teen, with all of those movies, ads, magazines telling you what you SHOULD look like, then as a young adult it's pretty much engrained in your subconcious. I KNOW in my mind that I'm pretty but then there's always that tiny voice. "Yeah, I guess I am pretty [ for a big girl ]" or, " You know, I wouldn't look half bad in that dress [ if my stomach was flatter ]".

So even though I have someone as amazing and loving as Faiz telling me I'm beautiful and gorgeous, deep down inside it's still hard to accept. Isn't it funny how it's easier to believe in the bad things?

mattcomics said:
I've honestly never understood where magazines and media get the idea that what we guys want is skeletons with fake chests.

See, growing up I NEVER believed that there were any guys who wanted big girls. EVER. I still find it hard to believe. WHERE ARE YOU GUYS! You guys need to make yourselves known. You need to get out there and hit on the big girls.

Thankfully, I've never had an issue with race. Most men like Asian girls...even though I'm only half, and actually just look Hawaiian. LOL.

Man...where are the other girls...they need to get in on this.
 
I love women with curves. Skinny girls tend to be kinda mean (no offense to any petite girls on this board), but plus size girls are like the most sweetest people in the world.

That, and I love a big ass.:P
 
LOL We all know about your big ass fetish, Vash.

Fat girls HAVE to be sweet I find. No one will pay any attention to them if we're not. But I'm only half sweet. I can be a real bitch LOL.
 
My friend thinks she's fat, but she's not even plus size. She's got that Coke bottle shape.

I also hate the fact that the media says that all girls should be aneorexic. I can never understand how people like flat asses and boobies.:sweat:
 
My friend thinks she's fat, but she's not even plus size. She's got that Coke bottle shape.

I also hate the fact that the media says that all girls should be aneorexic. I can never understand how people like flat asses and boobies.:sweat:
Hear, hear. Thank God for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, who's proud of her curves, and Tyra Banks, who told her critics to kiss off after she gained some extra weight.
 
Thank God for celebs like...Tyra Banks, who told her critics to kiss off after she gained some extra weight.

Yes, but she did say this:

"Being fat is cool if you're a sumo wrestler or a circus freak or a hot dog eating champion," Banks contended to People. "I'm not saying fat people can't be sexy, they just have to be clever about it. You know, like printing out a full sized poster of a supermodel and taping it to their neck. Or getting everybody in the world drunk. Or not being fat."
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top