Question regarding the use of Japanese words

kyo28

Member
I would like to ask you guys about something I’ve been wondering for some time now. Please keep in mind that in no way I am judging or complaining. I’m just really curious about this:

I’ve noticed that some people use certain Japanese words in their posts. A typical example from Magiranger is that people often refer to Nma as Nma-sama (the suffix –sama being the Japanese word here).

My question is: why do people do this? Is it because it sounds ‘cool’ or is it perhaps an outing of a form of subculture or something?

I’m asking this because to me it sounds weird. It would be the same to write an English sentence with some French in it, like: “A la rigueur, you could always contact the supplier directly.†Besides, for the abovementioned example, when discussing the show I believe Japanese people just call him Nma (there’s no reason to add the –sama for them, just the TV characters do that).

So if someone could enlighten me...
 
...And since you derived your example from my post then I'll explain. I can't speak for others but I do it every now and again basically just when I feel like doing it. I know he's only refered to with "sama" by his subordinates because of course he's their master and It's something I do rarely because I don't know a lick of Japanese besides the occasional word here and there by watching these shows. All in good fun basically. No rhyme or reason.... or at least that's my reason. :)
 
Ah OK, thanks for clarifying.

And sorry if I gave the impression that I was aiming directly at you ... it just happened to be the first example that popped into my head. :cool:
 
I don't think I'd refer to a character as "-sama" unless I respected them to the point that I'd call them that.
 
Kyusaku said:
I don't think I'd refer to a character as "-sama" unless I respected them to the point that I'd call them that.
Or an artist you really like, but in that case you would use "-sensei."
 
I just ignore and skim past it when people use a suffix. I see "Mana-chan" or "Shouichi-kun" and whatnot typed, but -- big deal, really. I guess it would bother you if you're a stickler, but I don't see the harm it does. It's not like we're in Japan, making big asses out of ourselves by referring to a cartoon eyeball as "-sama" in public.
 
Oh no, no, it doesn't bother me or anything. I just noticed that some Japanese slips into the English sentences on this board and I was wondering why. I just used the example of the '-sama' suffix, but the same goes for comments where one would say: she's really kawaii (instead of 'cute').

When I was studying language symantics and structures at the university, a chapter focused on the use of certain slang or foreign words being used by subcultures, to differentiate them from the others. I was just wondering if this was the case with Toku-loving western people or not.
 
When I was studying language symantics and structures at the university, a chapter focused on the use of certain slang or foreign words being used by subcultures, to differentiate them from the others. I was just wondering if this was the case with Toku-loving western people or not.
I think it's like Japanese people who buy shirts with English on them and have no idea what they mean.

Same with Americans buying shirts with kanji on them having no idea what they mean.

Case-and-point: A language that you can neither read or write is automatically cool :thumbs:

Err...I think this is on the subject....
 
Horoko said:
I think it's like Japanese people who buy shirts with English on them and have no idea what they mean.

Same with Americans buying shirts with kanji on them having no idea what they mean.

Case-and-point: A language that you can neither read or write is automatically cool :thumbs:

Err...I think this is on the subject....

Yeah this is pretty on the subject and can be quite true.
 
Yes this is exactly on the subject. I was indeed wondering what the 'cool factor' was for Japanese words. I guess in communities like this (toku-related context) it can be considerable.

I'm even starting to think that we can talk about a 'subculture', since their is a slang/vocabulary proper to this group of people and some cultural references can't be understood by outsiders.

I guess one studying semantics or cultural studies could even write a paper on this :)
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top