Producing a low-budget tokusatsu show. Need advice

:laugh::laugh::laugh: that was some good **** man keep it up


The clown's voice sounds hilarious he sounds like he's having a evilgasm
 
The costumes and special effects are wicked good, props to'z you.

As for the fight, I recommend using some closer shots and a wider variety of angles. Long takes are only good to exhibit artistic-like realism (like in Tom Yum Goong, Oldboy, Shogun's Ninja) or really long choreography exchanges. The choreography itself was a bit dull but it looked like a fight from a classic Toku show so if that's what you were going for then I guess that's cool too. And always remember--zooms are your enemy. Any semblance a film has to looking professional is always ruined when zooms are used... it's just the most home-video thing you could possibly do. Play around with camera movement during the fight, circling around or panning with the fighters, with lots of variety in terms of distance (and don't go too far away when doing distant shots), camerawork is 50% of a great fight scene.
 
The costumes and special effects are wicked good, props to'z you.

As for the fight, I recommend using some closer shots and a wider variety of angles. Long takes are only good to exhibit artistic-like realism (like in Tom Yum Goong, Oldboy, Shogun's Ninja) or really long choreography exchanges. The choreography itself was a bit dull but it looked like a fight from a classic Toku show so if that's what you were going for then I guess that's cool too. And always remember--zooms are your enemy. Any semblance a film has to looking professional is always ruined when zooms are used... it's just the most home-video thing you could possibly do. Play around with camera movement during the fight, circling around or panning with the fighters, with lots of variety in terms of distance (and don't go too far away when doing distant shots), camerawork is 50% of a great fight scene.

Glad you like the costumes and the effects. Both have taken a lot of effort.

As for the filming, yeah I'm trying to parody the old tokusatsu shows. They do use zoom in those films for many effects (almost every time Kamen Rider V3 jumps, zoom is used for the takeoff and landing). But I agree that we need closer angles and the choreography was duller than I wanted (aside from that I wanted to parody DBZ Vegita's Big Bang Attack, the fight scenes were improv'd completely).

I have had a very hard time getting people to show up to film when they say they will, let alone practice fight scenes before shooting takes place. Nobody really knows what Kamen Rider is, and when I tell them it is Power Rangers with just one Power Ranger, they sort of understand but not really :p

It is fairly frustrating when six people say they will show up, and then you receive six calls the next morning about how nobody is gonna make it. I live in San Marcos, Texas so I am close to Austin. I assumed it'd be easier to find people, but I am shooting during the summer when most of the people in the university are off on a vacation, which is probably what my main problem is.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: that was some good **** man keep it up


The clown's voice sounds hilarious he sounds like he's having a evilgasm

Thanks, I did the voice ^^
 
Last edited:
I know what you mean, I eventually gave up shooting fights because I could never get anybody's schedules (including their mysterious "something came up" excuses) coordinated.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top