Episode 6: THE HOLLOW
THE HOLLOW
Angel Grove High School.
For the 1st time in weeks the halls are alive with the movement of students and faculty members. Billy, Trini, and a group of students exit the principal’s office. The principal steps out behind the students.
“William, Trini," the principal calls out.
“Yes, Mr. Kaplan?," Billy asks.
“I just wanted to commend you 2 on the idea for a Food Drive in the wake of the disaster that befell Angel Grove. It’ll help a lot with the relief efforts, and should keep us prepared in the future," Mr. Kaplan says. Trini and Billy look up to see the principal’s toupee on crooked, revealing a portion of his bald head.
“Thanks, Mr. Kaplan," Trini smiles. “This is a pretty scary time for the people of Angel Grove. We like the idea that, on top of the more obvious reasons, a Food Drive would help boost the town’s morale and show them we’re prepared for any other problemsâ€.
“Indeed. Angel Grove really is a great town. It’s a shame, it seems as though whole neighborhoods are moving away every week," Billy notes.
“It is. I trust Jason, Zack and Kimberly will be participating in the relief efforts," Mr. Kaplan assumes.
Billy and Trini share an unsure look. “Well, you see Mr. Kaplan…," Billy begins. “I’m sure they’ll be willing to lend a hand".
“Good, good. I’m glad. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a board meeting in a few minutes," Mr. Kaplan excuses himself.
“Bye, Mr. Kaplan," Trini waves. She turns to Billy. “Did you talk to the others about the Food Drive, Billy?,"
“Not quite. I spoke with Zack who has agreed to participate, however, I have been less than successful in communicating with Jason or Kimberly," Billy confesses.
“I haven’t been able to get a hold of them either," Trini says.
“Hey guys," the 2 Rangers turn to see Zack approach them. “What’s with the long faces?," Zack asks.
“We just had a meeting with Kaplan and the leadership Committee," Trini explains.
“Oh, right, right. You told him I’m in, right?," Zack asks.
“Affirmative," Billy answers. “However, I’m afraid I may have been somewhat overzealous in confirming the participation of Kimberly and Jason as wellâ€.
“Speaking of those two, has anyone talked to Jason lately?," Zack asks.
“Negative," Billy answers.
“I just talked to Kim a minute ago in the hall, but she had to go do something. We’ll see them in class later, or we can catch up with them at their lockers or the Youth Center," Zack assures. “They probably need a little bit of space is allâ€.
“I guess you’re right, Zack," Trini says.
“Girl, when has the Zack-man ever let you down?," he asks as he slips an arm around her shoulder and the three friends walk off into the hall.
The Moon.
Rita’s Palace.
Rita peers into her Repulsa-Scope. “A Food Drive?,"
“Yummy. I am feeling a little famished," Baboo remarks.
“Don’t forget about me," Squatt whines. “I’m always hungry".
“Shut up, you nincompoops! Don’t you see? Those Rangers are planning a Food Drive to stock-pile rations to be used in the wake of my next attack," Rita explains.
“Oooh, very smart," Baboo thinks aloud.
“Oh, yeah. Always be prepared," Squatt adds.
“I said shut up!," Rita walks down the balcony.
“Yes, ma’am," the two aliens nod simultaneously. Rita makes her way to……
Finster’s Workshop.
“Finster! Oh, Finster!," Rita calls.
“Well, hello your Evilness. You’re just in time," Finster says.
“Finster, I--wait! Just in time for what?," Rita asks.
“For the good news, my Queen. I went around and scraped all of my jars of clay and have gathered a fair amount of resin left from my higher-quality batches of clay. I have enough resin here to create a small few, but powerful monsters, or enough to mix with a whole legion of monsters made from my lower-quality clay," Finster explains.
“Finster, that’s excellent!," Rita says. “But we still have yet to locate a reliable source of the good stuff. I’ll tell you what. Make me a monster that will devour those stupid human’s disaster relief rations using a blend of the clay and the resin," Rita demands.
“Oh, my Queen, I have the perfect candidate," Finster moves over to a pottery table and spins a clay figure around for Rita to see. It is a pig monster. “I call this one the Pudgy Pig. He has a most dastardly appetite for evil. And everything else, of courseâ€.
“Finster, you read my mind. And he’s made of both the resin and the clay?," Rita asks.
“No, but that won’t be a problem. I’ll just have to shave down part of the--," Finster is cut off by Rita’s shrieking.
“Just get it done, Finster! The Food Drive will be happening soon, and I want that monster ready in time to eat up all their hard work. And while you’re at it, enlarge the snout, and create some type of armor to protect that big head of his. And sharpen the hooves some so he can defend against the Ranger‘s when they try to get in his way," Rita demands.
“Yes, my Queen. Right away," Finster begins his work as Rita turns around to find Goldar standing before her.
“What is it, Monkey-face?," Rita asks.
“Empress," Goldar growls. “I have served my suspension from duty from the last attack on Earth. I am ready to participate againâ€.
“I’ll decide when you’ll participate, you gold goon!," Rita shouts. “You hold off until I give you the word!," Rita stomps away behind Goldar. He turns to watch her walk away, growling with discontent.
Stone Canyon Beach Boardwalk.
Dusk.
Jason’s motorcycle sits alone in the parking lot. Sand dunes separate the parking lot from the beach itself, where Jason sits, fully clothed, at the water’s edge. He watches as the water complies with the wind’s orders. The flow of the water is tumultuous. He finds analogy between the water and his emotions.
He was a little more used to it now, but for him to pretend that being a Ranger was easy would be a lie; and the leader, nonetheless. He needed to be strong, for himself and for his team. He always felt he was, but 2 things challenged his sense of security: fighting the forces of evil in an effort to save his world, and his friend and teammate, Kimberly Hart. The latter, however, was the challenge he’d been dealing with the longest.
“Jason," Kim’s voice surprises Jason, who turns to see Kim saunter up and sit beside him. “What are you doing out here?â€
“I like it out here. There’s a sense of calm. Even when the water doesn’t seem to feel it, I doâ€.
“It shouldn’t be like this, Jase. Not for us," Kim says as she holds his arm and lays her head on his shoulder.
“I’ve wanted to be with you for so long. I just never knew how to tell you," Jason confesses.
Kim smiles. “I think you just did".
Jason realizes how candid his comment was and is speechless as he grapples with a desire to take back what he says, even though he meant every word. He makes eye contact with Kim who leans in for a kiss. Jason closes his eyes as he reaches up to touch her face, snapped back to reality as he feels only the cold air chill his finger tips. He looks around to see that he’s alone.
Jason stands up and clenches his fists as he stares up into the sky. “I can feel it. In the heavens. Something…… Give me strength," he whispers into the wind.
Angel Grove.
The Hart residence.
Kimberly lies on top of her bed. Her short frame is cushioned by her down comforter, her head resting on its side upon a goose down pillow. She stares at the clock on her night stand. 8:17 pm. There is a knock at her door.
Kim sits up on the edge of her bed. “Come inâ€.
“Honey?," Kim’s Mom enters. “Trini’s hereâ€.
Trini enters behind Kim’s mom, who then smiles at Trini as she exit’s the room, closing the door behind her. Trini sits down next to Kim. The two girl’s stare at each other in silence.
Trini sighs, then runs her fingers thru Kim’s hair. “Bed hair". The two girls laugh. “Kim, we’ve been friends for a long time. Please talk to me," Trini says.
“Trini, I’ve been dying to," Kim pulls her legs up and sits Indian-style on her bed as the two girls adjust to face each other. Kim sighs. “Jason is being such a……Mr. Crabby Pants. It’s not like him to be such a jerkâ€,
“Kimberly, you know what this is about, don’t you? He likes you. I mean, really likes you," Trini clarifies.
“I like him, too. But, I mean, like I like you guys……I think. I don’t know. Ok, maybe in a different way……a little. It’s not like I don’t think he’s cute, I mean, look at him. He was sculpted out of clouds from the heavens, I’m telling you," Kim says.
“But--?," Trini asks.
“Yeah, his butt, too," the girls chuckle. “Ok, ‘but’ my parents are in the middle of this separation thing, and I really can’t think about a relationship with a guy and go on that walk on the beach, or have that talk at dinner after watching a really bad guy movie without thinking about all the other walks on the beach and bad-movie talks down the road and wondering when that’s going to end, you know? I don’t want to have that, and then one day wake up and not have it anymore. Does that make sense?â€
“Well, explain it to me," Trini says.
“Ok, it’s like this. Jason is such a cool guy and he’s just awesome to be around, just like you and the others. But, out of nowhere, I’m thinking about the day that I wake up and Jason, or whoever, isn’t thinking about what movie to take me to. Can you imagine what it’s like to hold a guys hand for years, and then suddenly never get to EVER again?," Kim asks.
“I see what you mean. You have to remember though that relationships are different because no 2 couples are exactly the same. I know you’re scared about whatever the future would hold for you and ‘whoever‘, but you have to remember that what comes of a relationship is dependant heavily on what you put into it, both of you. And the best thing to put into a relationship is friendship. You guys have thatâ€.
Kim nods as she understands what Trini is telling her.
“When a relationship ends, it ends for a reason. If it’s not meant to be, then it’s not meant to be. But you have to remember that not every relationship ends, and if the guy is a good friend, and even if you do stop dating, then the friendship can continue. And you can still have that bad-movie talk with a friend. It‘s like Billy said, you guys are 2 of the best friends anyone could have. You very well might not always be boyfriend and girlfriend, but you‘ll always be friendsâ€.
Kim sighs. “You’re right, Smart Girl. How did you get to be such a smart girl?â€
Trini chuckles thru a smile. “Blame Billy. I do,"
“Oh, you mean Mr. Lover Boy?," Kim ruefully asks as she rises to her knees on the bed and wrestles Trini.
“You jerk!," Trini reaches past Kim for a pillow as Kim reaches for another. Havoc ensues.
“Oh, Mr. Lover Boy, help me with my homework! Read to me! Reeeeaaad to me!," Kim antagonizes.
“Zip your lip, Tiny!," Trini laughs. The girls continue to swat each other with the huge goose down pillows as laughter and feathers fill the room.
Angel Grove High School.
Day.
The final bell rings and the small amount of students still left in Angel Grove clamor out of their last classes of the day. Kim and Trini stand at Kim’s open locker, laughing the way only girls do. Billy and Zack approach.
“Oooh, something’s funny," Zack says.
“Yeah, the smell of your depression-era aftershave," Kim responds.
“You love how smooth, and chocolatey my skin is, girl. Admit it. I’ve seen you looking," Zack replies, putting an arm around Kim‘s shoulder.
“Well, you’re a pretty smooth guy, Zack. I’ll give you that," Kim says.
“The Leadership committee finished doing inventory on the last of all the donated goods late this morning. Trini and I are supposed to head down to the Salvation Army’s warehouse downtown to run the second inventory and make sure all the supplies are accounted for," Billy says.
“Yeah, we’ve also got to get started organizing all the donations to be stocked away in storage until the emergency shelters have finished construction. You guys are coming along, right?," Trini asks Kim and Zack as the 4 friends head outside. Zack nods in affirmation.
“Of course. I am a lady of my word," Kim answers.
“Great, cuz we’ve got our mode of transportation all set up," Trini points out to the parking lot.
Jason sits in a dark red Hummer and honks the horn. “Let’s get this show on the road, boys and girlsâ€.
Kim is surprised to see Jason outside of class. She looks to Trini.
Trini offers her support. “Remember what we talked about? Friendsâ€
Kim nods. “Best of friends".
The four move to the vehicle and Zack opens the back side door on the passenger side. “Ladies first".
Kim moves to get in but Trini pulls Kim out by the arm. “He said ‘ladies’ first," Trini jumps in as Billy gets in from the opposite side.
Zack jumps in behind Trini and closes the door. “Yeah, ladies first," Zack says as he points to the front seat. “Nobody called shotgun?"
Kim gives Zack an evil glare as she makes her way to the front passenger side door and gets in. She looks at Jason with a smile only to see the side of his stern face as he stares forward. He does so the entire drive. Kim looks back at Trini with a look of confusion that they both share.
Downtown Angel Grove.
The warehouse district.
Jason pulls up to the back of a warehouse where random hauling trucks sit about. The Rangers hop out of the vehicle and make their way to an opened warehouse where stacks of boxes and canned goods stand. Trini and Kim walk close together.
“Did you see the look on his face? Mr. Crabby Pants strikes again," Kim whispers.
An older man and woman come out to greet them.
“Hello, kids. You’re right on time," the older man says.
“Yeah, we’re ready to get started," Zack says as he rubs his hands together anxiously.
“Great. We have a little situation, though," the older woman says. “A representative from Crossworld Medtronics made a very handsome donation of canned goods this afternoon but delivered them to the Youth Center instead. The driver’s all the way back in Crossworld City now so we’ll have to pickup everything in one of our trucksâ€.
“I could take the truck down there and pick them up if you need me to," Jason volunteers.
“Oh, thank you young man, but I’m afraid our insurance policy only allows for one of us to operate the trucks. The owner of the Gym & Juice Bar and his employees have volunteered to help load the truck once we arrive. We should be back shortly, and in the meantime you can get started with the inventory of what we have here nowâ€.
“Okay, let’s get started then," Trini tells her friends.
“We’ll see you when we get back," the older man says. He and the older woman get to one of the trucks, buckle up, and depart.
The teens enter the warehouse. Kim looks over at Jason who seems oblivious to her presence. Whether that’s what he wants isn‘t certain.
Rita’s Moon Palace.
Finster’s Workshop.
“Okay, my Queen. This is my 36th attempt at structuring my creation to your specificities," Finster tells Rita.
“Yes, yes! Finally! This is what I want. Load him up, Finster!," Rita orders. “And set the Monster-Matic on high!â€
Finster loads the clay figure onto a conveyer and turns a wheel, moving it into the machine. Finster sets the machine on ‘high’ and pulls a lever. A large gray tube coming from the machine and stretching over a wall and the ceiling moves by peristalsis. The tube hangs down from the ceiling, jettisoning smoke, and eventually the Pudgy Pig.
“Oh, this is perfect!," Rita approves.
“Will you send the Putties down first to soften up those Rangers?," Finster asks.
“No! I’ve been waiting for hours for this! I’m sending the monster down now!," Rita turns to the Pudgy Pig.
“I am hungry!," the monster grunts.
“Then have at it!," Rita zaps Pudgy Pig with her wand, teleporting him away.
Downtown Angel Grove.
The Salvation Army warehouse.
“Man. This a lot of food," Zack comments as he moves cans into a separate pile.
“Yes, and there’s more on the way," Billy adds.
“Gonna take a lot of attention to detail," Jason says.
“Speaking of attention, what’s your problem, man? You’re pretending like Kim doesn’t even exist," Zack says. Jason looks over to Kim and Trini who are separating cans across the warehouse.
“It is rather curious, Jason. Taking into consideration the adoration you have for Kimberly, it would seem logical for you to be more sociable," Billy adds.
“I appreciate your concern, guys. But I know how I want to handle this," Jason replies.
“Yeah? How?," Zack asks.
“My way," Jason replies.
A crashing sound suddenly shakes the building. The 5 teens look at each other, and then run outside. Debris falls down toward them and they somersault out of the way.
“Is everyone okay?," Jason asks. The team nods.
“Look!," Kim points up to the Pudgy Pig who is chewing part of the side wall at the edge of the roof. “Gross!â€
“I am hungry!," the Pudgy Pig grunts aloud.
“Rita must have sent him to destroy the donations for the Food Drive," Zack says.
“You think?," Kim asks.
“This is most troubling," Billy notes.
“We have to stop him before he eats everything in sight," Trini says.
“The coast is clear," Zack adds.
“It’s Morphin Time!," Jason shouts as the Ranger’s reach behind them.
“Mastodonâ€
“Pterodactylâ€
“Triceratopsâ€
“Saber-Tooth Tigerâ€
“Tyrannosaurusâ€
The Power Rangers leap up onto the roof top, rebelling against gravity to confront the Pudgy Pig. The 5 heroes surround the monster.
“Why didn’t Alpha contact us when the monster first appeared?," Black Ranger wonders aloud.
“Probably because we were right here where it fist appeared. Everybody be careful," Red Ranger says.
“I am hungry! Feed me!," Pudgy Pig lunges at Red Ranger.
“Power Sword!," Red Ranger strikes down with his sword as the Pudgy Pig turns. Red Ranger’s sword meets the back of the Pudgy Pig’s helmet with a loud metal-on-metal sound. Pudgy Pig backs up into Red Ranger, knocking him over a side wall of the roof.
“Jason!," Yellow Ranger cries out, moving with the rest of her team toward the monster as Red Ranger holds fast the edge of the building.
“Hold on, Jase!," Black Ranger cries.
“Help Jason up. Kim and I will roast this porker," Yellow Ranger tells the Blue and Black Ranger’s as she and Kimberly ready their weapons. Black and Blue Ranger dash past Pudgy Pig as Pink and Yellow Ranger leap into the air. The 2 girls sail toward the monster. Pink Ranger fires an arrow and Yellow Ranger throws her Daggers.
“Food! Hungry!," Pudgy Pig opens his mouth and practically inhales the arrow and Daggers.
“He’s eating our weapons!," Yellow Ranger cries.
“Stand back, Trini. I’m gonna give this guy a belly ache," Pink Ranger rushes Pudgy Pig. Behind the fight, Blue and Black Ranger pull Red Ranger up onto the roof.
Pink Ranger slashes at the monster with the end of her Bow. It hits his snout and throws a shower of sparks. “Cough ‘em up, Pig Face!," Pink Ranger demands. She strikes out again with her Bow. This time he bites down on it and kicks her away. She rolls back toward Yellow Ranger who helps her up while the monster masticates the Bow. “Trini, he’s eating my bow!â€
“You’ve had it, bacon breath!," Red Ranger lashes out with a downward strike from his Power Sword. Pudgy Pig side steps the attack, and kicks the Sword out of Jason’s hand with a sharp hoof, releasing a burst of sparks.
The Sword goes up into the air and Red Ranger moves to jump for it when Pudgy Pig punches him in the chest with his large, sharp hoof. In a burst of sparks, Red Ranger is thrown backward into Black Ranger as Blue Ranger leaps into the air with his Maces in hand. Black and Red Ranger crash into the ground as Pudgy Pig looks up and opens his mouth, swallowing the Power Sword.
“Stand down!," Blue Ranger lashes forward with both Maces. Despite his odd shape, the Pudgy Pig moves swiftly, slapping the Maces together with his hooves, making it easier to swallow. “Desist!," Blue Ranger throws a knee up into the monster. Unfazed, Pudgy Pig slams a hoof across Blue Ranger’s helmet, knocking him across the ground as the others regroup around him.
“He’s strong," Yellow Ranger says.
“Yeah, and he’s got a stomach full of our weapons. He almost ate Billy," Pink Ranger adds.
“Hand-to-hand combat does not seem to be a viable option," Blue Ranger says.
“I’ll be the judge of that," Red Ranger steps in front of the group.
“Feed me! Weapons, food! More!," Pudgy Pig cries.
Pink Ranger grabs Red Ranger by the arm. “Jason, no! He could eat you alive. If we’re going to fight, we need to do it together. Now, Zack still has his Power Axe, and the rest of us can use our Flame Blasters to--," Pink Ranger is interrupted by Red Ranger.
“No, Kim! I’m the leader. I’ll handle this. I’m the strongest of the 5 of us. I’ll try to wear him down, you guys stay back. You’ll be the only line of defense if I fail," Red Ranger turns around.
“Jason--!," Pink Ranger cries out as Red Ranger turns to the monster.
“Howling Vortex!," Pudgy Pig calls out. The air around him whistles as it is suctioned in toward his mouth.
“What’s he doing?," Black Ranger asks. The Pudgy Pig’s eyes glow white as he opens his mouth wide, releasing a swirling vortex at the Rangers, on a horizontal axis.
“Everybody hang on!," Red Ranger cries out as he and his team are consumed by the vortex. The vortex sends the Rangers spiraling into the air before disappearing in flashes of white light.
Angel Grove Regional Trails.
Five white flashes of light take place in the air, dropping the 5, now un-morphed, Rangers onto dirt, rocks and shrubbery.
“Man, what happened?," Zack asks.
“We appear to have been forcibly de-morphed," Billy observes.
“Looks like we’re still in Angel Grove. The Regional Hiking Trails, by the look of it," Trini says.
“We’ve got to teleport back into town and turn that pig into sausage links," Zack says.
“Yeah, but how? We can’t use the Power Blaster," Kim asks. “And Mr. Crabby Pants over here seems to have something against teamworkâ€.
“Hey, I had an idea. It could have worked if we had the chance to pull it off," Jason replies. “And don’t call me Mr. Crabby Pantsâ€.
The Ranger’s communicators sound off.
“Go ahead, Zordon," Jason answers.
“Rangers, we are monitoring the Pudgy Pig’s activities. He has begun devouring the donations to the Food Drive," Zordon informs his pupils.
“Oh no. We have to get back there now," Trini insists.
“Zordon, is the area clear for us to teleport to undetected?," Jason asks.
“Yes," Zordon answers.
“All right then," Jason turns to Kim. “You seem to believe in your idea. And I believe in you. We’ll use our Flame Blasters to attack from a distance, while Zack hammers that creature with blasts from his Cannon," Jason says.
“Yeah. With the Power Axe in Cannon Mode, that Pig doesn’t stand a chance," Zack says.
“Lets get back there and save the Food Drive. It’s Morphin Time!," Jason shouts as the Ranger’s reach behind them.
“Mastodonâ€
“Pterodactylâ€
“Triceratopsâ€
“Saber-Tooth Tigerâ€
“Tyrannosaurusâ€
Downtown Angel Grove.
The Salvation Army warehouse.
The Power Rangers rush into the warehouse and stumble upon the scene of Pudgy Pig’s aftermath.
“Oh no," Yellow Ranger is as short on words at the moment as she seems to be on breath. The Rangers walk thru the warehouse, which is almost completely empty save for some busted food cans littered about. The Black, Pink, Blue and Red Ranger’s convene.
“Look at this place," Pink Ranger says in astonishment.
“He did with the food supply what he did with our weapons," Blue Ranger says.
“This has got to be Rita’s evilest plan yet," Red Ranger says.
“Everything’s gone," Black Ranger notes.
“Not everything. Over here," Yellow Ranger says from across the warehouse. She points to the ground as her friends gather.
“Eww! Totally gross!," Pink Ranger exclaims.
“Eww, it smells like spiced butt over here," Black Ranger says.
“Zack, that’s beautiful, man," Red Ranger places a hand on Black Ranger’s shoulder. The Rangers observe a large puddle of vomit beside a stack of cans. Among the vomit sits one of Kim’s arrows.
“Hey, my arrow," Pink ranger points out.
“Well, go ahead, girl. Pick it up," Black Ranger encourages.
“Eww! Knock it off," Pink Ranger smacks Black Ranger on the shoulder.
“Look at this. That Pig ate everything in sight," Yellow Ranger points to the labels on the cans. “But over here he didn’t even touch the hot stuffâ€.
“Excellent deduction, Trini," Blue Ranger commends his teammate.
Pink Ranger is confused by Blue Ranger’s comment. “What?â€
“It appears that spicy food would be the one exception to the Pudgy Pig’s insatiable appetite. If whatever small amount he ingested was able to make him regurgitate Kim’s arrow, then perhaps a greater dose would cause him to release all of our weapons," Billy explains.
“Then we can nail him with the Power Blaster," Red Ranger adds.
“More! I need more!," Pudgy Pig approaches the open doorway of the warehouse from outside.
“Okay, let’s get him. Trini, collect some of these cans to use against the monster. We’ll hold him off," Red Ranger orders.
“Right," Yellow Ranger starts sifting thru the cans for the ones containing the most potent spicy ingredients.
“Rangers in the way!," Pudgy Pig makes his way to the open door.
“Flame Blaster’s Up!," Red Ranger shouts. On command, he, Blue, Pink and Black Ranger’s draw their side arms and shift them into Flame Blaster mode. “Aim high, guys……fire!â€
The 4 teens fire at the rotary mechanism that opens and shuts the large warehouse door. In a burst of sparks, the red lasers incapacitate the mechanism and the door drops hard, shutting out the monster just before he enters. The Ranger’s can hear him grunting outside.
Yellow Ranger holds an assortment of canned foods in her arms. “I think I’ve got enough to make this Pig sick to his stomachâ€.
“Good. Now let’s serve this guy something--," Red Ranger stops mid-sentence to turn as he and his team hear the Pudgy Pig on the other side of the door.
“Howling Vortex!," A large dent grows in the warehouse door as the monsters attack forces it inward.
“Oh, sh--," The door buckles underneath the force of the monster’s vortex attack and shoots into the warehouse. Yellow Ranger is successful in somersaulting out of the way. Unfortunately, her friends aren’t so lucky. The door hits them with enough force throw the 4 Rangers backward in a shower of sparks.
“Again! Rangers in the way!," Pudgy Pig grunts.
Yellow Ranger crawls backward on the ground as she watches Pudgy Pig approach her fallen friends with cannibalism in it’s eyes. She stops moving when her hand touches upon a long, hard object. She picks it up and holds it before her. Kim’s arrow is gray with pink fins at the arrow head and tail. Trini turns back to the stack of canned spice food behind her, to the left. She stabs the air into a stack of cans, skewering several of them onto the arrow.
Pudgy Pig stands in place and lifts his arms. “Again! Howling Vortex!," Air from around the monster suctions toward its mouth. Busted cans roll across the warehouse floor as a result of manipulated air flow.
“He’s gonna blast us again!," Pink Ranger shouts out over the suction of air. The suction stops and the 4 Rangers look to each other.
“Here it comes! Get ready! Ultimate Cannon!," Black Ranger summons his weapon. The 4 Rangers brace for impact with the Pudgy Pig’s howling vortex attack.
“Not this time, Pig. Lunch is on me. You hungry? Chew on this!," Yellow ranger moves in & performs an aerial, moving perpendicular to the direction the monster is facing. As she passes by his face, she thrusts Kim’s arrow, with several dripping can’s of spiced food skewered down it’s shaft, deep into the Pig’s mouth.
Yellow Ranger rushes to help her friends to their feet. “Are you guys all right?â€
“Yeah, we’re good," Black Ranger answers. “Can’t say the same for him. Look," He points to the monster who leans back and begins vomiting into the air. Partially digested food flows out into the air, followed by the Ranger’s weapons. The Ranger’s leap forward and catch their weapons. The Ranger’s then regroup.
“I say we top him off. Let’s bring ‘em together!," Red Ranger orders.
“Right!," the team cries in unison.
Pudgy Pig makes an attempt to counter. “Howling Vortex!," The Pudgy Pig again begins to suction air.
“Ultimate Cannonâ€
“Power Bowâ€
“Power Daggersâ€
“Power Lanceâ€
“Power Sword," Red Ranger grasps the weapon. “Power Blaster!â€
The Pudgy Pig releases the vortex that shoots forward on a horizontal axis at the Rangers.
The 4 other Ranger’s group around Red Ranger and brace the weapon. “FIRE!," the teens shout as the weapon discharges, releasing a profound amount of energy that sears thru the air, slowing as it meets the pig‘s attack.
Pudgy Pig’s attack whips sparks of energy off of the Ranger’s weapon blast, as it struggles against it. The struggle is fierce, but brief, and after a certain point does little to stop the oncoming energy from reaching and destroying him. The vortex disperses before it can cause any problems.
“Another one bites the dust," Black Ranger quips.
“Yeah, but who’s going to clean up this place?," Pink Ranger asks.
Angel Grove Youth Center.
The Gym & Juice Bar.
Kim and Billy hang a banner across a high wall in the Gym. It reads ‘DONATION DANCE’. Zack walks in thru the entry way that Jason is at work decorating with ribbon from high atop a ladder. Zack carries a bunch of balloon’s over to Billy and Kim to begin decorating with. Trini stands at the bar with Ernie going over a check list. Mr. Kaplan enters, greets Jason, and makes his way to the bar.
“Hi, Mr. Kaplan," Trini greets.
“Hello, Ms. Kwan. My word, you kids have done a remarkable job setting up this place for the dance tonight. Having the attendee’s bring in donations of canned goods is a marvelous idea. I wanted to congratulate you and Billy for improvising this event after what happened with the latest attack on Angel Groveâ€.
“Thanks, Mr. Kaplan," Trini says with a smile.
“And to you Ernie, I’d like to thank you for volunteering to host tonight’s events here in the Juice Bar. Your good will has certainly made it’s mark in the latest addition of the Angel Grove Chronicle," Mr. Kaplan says.
“It’s really no problem. It’s a tough time for the city. And I realize how important it is for the community to come together to pull thru this," Ernie responds.
Trini looks across the Gym from the Bar at Kim who watches Jason with a look of morose. “Will you excuse me?," Mr. Kaplan and Ernie do so and continue to talk as Trini grabs a permanent marker and some name tags and heads over in Kimberly’s direction.
“Hey, Kim. Here’s your name tag," Trini spells Kimberly’s name on the sticker and hands it to her.
“Thanks, Trini," Kim says in a sullen manner.
“You know, I was glad to see Jason make good with your idea on how to battle the Pudgy Pig," Trini says.
“Yeah, Jason’s a really good leader," Kim replies. “But you deserve a lot credit, too, for figuring out how to exploit the monsters weakness. Smart girl strikes againâ€.
The girls turn to watch Jason. “I know he’s been kind of quiet," Trini begins. “But I think he might be more open to talking things over. Have you though about talking to him about how you feel?â€
“Well," Kim responds. “Despite how much good that did the last time, and considering how much of a Mr. Crabby Pants he’s been lately, I’m so past ready to be on good standings with him again. After the turn around he had in the fight against the Pudgy Pig, I think he might be ready, tooâ€.
“Good luck,†Trini says with a smile.
“Thanks, Smart Girl," Kim hugs her friend. “Hopefully I won’t need itâ€.
Kim hands her balloons to Zack, who, along with Billy, stands beside Trini and watches Kim make her way over to Jason.
Kim stands beside the ladder as Jason comes down it, having just finished decorating the doorway.
“Hey, Jase," Kim says with a smile.
“Kim," Jason very simply acknowledges her presence.
Kim tucks her hair behind her ears. “So, um, I just wanted to thank you for listening to my idea about fighting that totally disgusting Pig creatureâ€.
“Don’t worry about it. We’re a team. Everyone of us is important," Jason says matter-of-factly.
“Right. Well, um, after everything the 5 of us have been thru, I think this party might be just the thing the doctor ordered. And……I was hoping maybe tonight you might save me a dance," Kim says as she nervously bites the corner of her bottom lip.
“Actually, to be honest, I think I’m going to cut out early tonight. I’ve got a lot of studying to do," Jason responds.
Kim tries to encourage her friend into being sociable. “Oh, no way. You can’t cut out on us. This dance is important, and it’ll be a ton of
“Look, I’m really not interested in dancing tonight, okay Kim?â€
“But, Jase, don’t you want to--,â€
“Do you need me to spell it out for you? N-O. O-K?â€
Kim is taken aback by Jason’s crudity. “Okay. Fine. I got to go……do some--," Kim runs out of the Juice Bar.
Trini, Zack and Billy watch in astonishment from a corner, across the Gym.
Trini makes her way over to Jason. “What was that about?â€
“Nothing," Jason answers. “Don’t worry about itâ€.
“Jason, I’m your friend. I’m Kimberly’s friend, too. You can’t ask me not to care when two of my good friends are having problemsâ€.
“Trini, did it ever occur to you to just leave well enough alone?â€
“Is the way you’re feeling really what you’d consider ‘well enough’?," Trini asks.
“I don’t remember asking you to butt in and talk to Kim about things that aren’t your business," Jason says crudely.
“Jason, I don’t remember being taught that good friends let people they care about be unhappy. I’m not like you, okay? I haven’t undergone some kind of transformation into a person that hides the way they feel so that--," Trini is interrupted mid-sentence by Jason.
“Look, Trini, we’ve got a lot of work to do before the dance tonight. Now, would you please just give me my name tag and let me get back to work?â€
It is now Trini’s turn to be taken aback by Jason’s cold attitude.
“Fine," Trini begins writing on a name tag, then peels the sticker and attaches it to Jason’s chest. Trini walks away and rejoins Billy and Zack.
“What happened?," Billy asks.
Trini sighs. “Smart Girl strikes again," Trini says in a sullen manner.
Jason walks out into the hall and enters the bathroom. He runs the water from a faucet over his hands and applies some to his face. He grabs a paper towel and returns to the mirror as he dries his hands. He takes notice of the name tag Trini gave him and is confused by the name she wrote beneath the ‘Hello, my name is’ section.
Confused, he reads it aloud to himself. “Mr. Crabby Pants?â€
THE END