Let me say this to start, I loved every single main character in this show. Oh and expect a spoiler or two in the post.
This series started out so weird, coming off Kabuto, it was a gigantic change in direction. From Kabuto's over the top melodrama and offsetting "humor", we go to what was essentially a full blown comedy series. I'll be the first to admit, it did strike me as odd at first and I wondered how they were able to get a good story, but once I saw the first episode I knew that I was in for a very interesting year.
I think introducing the idea of not having Ryoutarou do the fighting at first was really interesting. It was a totally new spin on the mythos of the franchise and I think it really worked out well. We technically only had two Kamen Riders, but it felt like much more than that and for once, a series was able to balance such a large cast with great dynamics and fun and interesting plots. After watching the final episode I didn't feel that I had missed out on any important plot details or anything, it was one of the very very few series that actually managed to close up almost all of its story, and what wasn't closed up didn't feel staggering like in Kabuto or Faiz.
The characters, as I've said, I loved them all. Maybe I didn't like them all at first, but I really came to love these guys by the end of the series. I cried, I literally cried when Deneb shows himself to Yuuto again in the final episodes. That's never happened to me before with any show, not like this. I think the comedy was what really helped this show at times, you came to like the characters thanks to their antics and thus you really felt for them in the serious moments. You can't tell me that you didn't feel a pang in your heart when Ryuutaros realized that Airi is never going to be his sister.
I loved the Taros so much because I think that they show off the stereotypical character traits of male characters from the Heisei and Shouwa era, the tough strong guys for Shouwa and the crazy, dandy boy characters of the Heisei era. And it worked. So well. The Taros had such a great group dynamic, from their fighting over Ryoutarou to wanting to help him, thus leading to Liner Form, they were a great bunch. Can't forget Deneb either, my favorite character in the show. I honestly had no idea he was going to turn out the way he did, he and Yuuto had such a fun atmosphere, like brothers or best friends always bickering about the small stuff. It also kind of felt like Deneb played a father role for Yuuto, which I didn't mind at all seeing as how Deneb was such a nice character. He reminds me of a more exaggerated Ryoutarou in Imagin form, always trying to do the right thing to make people happy and often screwing things up.
Speaking of Ryoutarou, I loved how he changed over the year. Maybe not in personality, but in strength. People were complaining how weak Ryoutarou was upon the premiere of the show, but it's evident that Ryoutarou did a lot to train over the year. Especially in great times of crisis, like when he blamed himself for the Taros disappearing, which lead to Climax form, or when he tried to stop Yuuto and the Taros from fighting fearing so much for their fates. The Taros dying and Yuuto living the loneliest existence possible with no one remembering him. It didn't hurt that he had what I consider to be one of the best actors in the Heisei series. Sure his basic Ryoutarou character wasn't great at first, but it really did become better in the later episodes and I loved that he could switch in and out of character with the Taros and it actually felt like he was a different person, something that I still think Nakamura needs to work on.
On to Yuuto, I love his character as well. I didn't really at first, but that was mainly because of Nakamura's acting, which isn't the best but it actually felt like it became better over the year, I loved how emotional he was when he found out that Deneb was still alive. Like most of the things in the series though, he was able to shift from comedy to seriousness so well. It was funny to see him always beating up on Deneb, but when it was revealed just how he transforms and that he didn't care about his personal well being, it was amazing. Even though he had a different method of protecting time at first, he really grew into a hero. I also loved that for the first time since like...what? The original series? We had two Kamen Riders that didn't try to kill each other at every point. It was nice to see them working together, that's probably one of the things I'll miss most about the show.
Also, can't forget the most jarring aspect of the show at first, the DenLiner. It was so strange to see a mech in a Kamen Rider series, but it ended up working very well and the times we had fights in it nothing felt out of place. I actually would have loved to see more of those giant VS Gigandeath fights, those were actually pretty darn good and incredibly fun to watch. I can only hope that Castle Dran will be just as good.
Now, with all the good stuff said, the wasn't the perfect series. I think what it suffered most from was that fact that it had to run for an entire year. An amazing story, but not one that was suited for a year, maybe 26-30 episodes. Because we had that long run, we ran into a whole lot of fillers, they weren't always bad, but the majority of the time they made me want to stop watching the show, and I know that quite a few people actually stopped watching the show because of it.
One of the other things I think didn't work out that great was Kai. He was introduced as such a strange villain, really unlike any we've had in a long while and while he was fun at first, it felt like he came kind of late into the series, but I also have to give that credit because it's probably what drove the series into overdrive in the final span of episodes and gave us great episode after great episode.
To anyone that dropped the series at some point, pick it back up! Skip the filler episodes or whatever, but you have got to see this series for the amazing story of the characters that it is. It's such a refreshing thing to get a series where no one in the main cast dies, is left screwed for life or has an overall depressing attitude about life. They all love life just as much, they're all still good friends and the Imagin would still do anything to protect Ryoutarou and Yuuto. Seeing them go from using Ryoutarou as a means to an end at first to actually caring about him was just so great, and I really have to applaud the seiyuu for the great job they did with these characters.
So please, if you dropped this series, pick it up again. It'll be worth watching/skipping the fillers to get to this amazing story that I think was a lot better than the majority of the series that I've seen. It's unlike any other series in that it started off not too great but it had an awesome second half.
Now if I had to rank it, after seeing the entire series, I'd do Hibiki > Agito > Kuuga > Den-O > Blade > Ryuki > Faiz > Kabuto. It may not be the same for everyone, but what really shot this up in my book was the cast of wonderful personalities we got along with the story in the second half.